Need sleep

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been fuming for a week. As you all know this (and many other) Protestant keeps vigil at the only Chapel of Perpetual Adoration (Catholic for those like me that did not know what it was) that for 15 years was 24/7. As of Oct 1 it is now 18/7. The new priest (has been here 3 years now) really wants it closed (it was started by Father Karl) and has said so. 2 weeks ago when I went in, the person I was relieving told me - before you say anything, there is a camera in the corner by the candles. There is NO sign warning the camera is there. I was (and still am) furious and ready to quit.
Knowing he wants to close it down, I decided to not give him any ammo so will stay on - but I am not lighting any candles any more. I do not know if it has sound and my conversations at the candles are no one's business.
Last night I went in at 10 PM, my new time, expecting the "high-up" guy to come in at 11 and at Midnight he is authorized to lock up the Host. Then at 6 AM, another "high-up" comes in and opens the Chapel and puts the Host back on the altar. No one came at 11. I was there until 6 AM this morning when the opening person came in. My initial surprise was that it was a lady. She said I should have called someone. Told her, I did not have a clue who to call. Now I do. Was contemplating sleeping in tomorrow - but got a walk-in (phone call). She is being kind - 8 AM breakfast.
Has anyone else ever heard of a camera in a Chapel?

Hey, when I walked into the Vatican and I saw that there were confessionals in different languages, I'm the guy who with a smirk on his face asked for one in Hebrew :)

I don't blame you for being upset. I would have been too. These ceremonies are generally much better managed. Hope you get a well deserved nap.

No. We just happen to have seven of our families living around it. Nothing happens without them knowing about it.

I find that very odd ... you can certainly light candles without speaking aloud but I would probably print up little signs on tent cards and keep putting them there to inform others. Makes me wonder if there are other cameras about. Is it for security? I (being me) would ask the priest/minister/board/people in charge why the camera(s)?
Reminds me of the innkeeper employee who was being monitored by the owners. The question for me is why?

This Chapel has 2 banks of candles to be lit, the altar, 6 kneelers, a large rocking chair (where I spent most of the wee hours of Sunday morning) and pews around 2 of the walls. It has always been a place to pray, meditate, or just sit down and take a deep breath. For me, that camera takes that away. The priest says the camera is for the safety of the adorers (no incidents in 15 years), because money was taken from the candle money boxes (I have never seen signs of breaking in (and anyone ever hear of alms for the poor?), and because a relic was stolen. Seems bogus to me.

I'm in the most CCTV covered country in the world and a camera in a chapel definitely crosses the line for me. We don't even have that here! Why not suggest the priest have a professional camera installed at the entrances, see who comes and goes? You do not, imho, need to see what people are doing at the altar etc. It sounds very creepy to have a hidden camera anywhere tbh. I'm not sure about US of A laws but UK laws require signage of some sort to indicate a camera is present in a building and if that camera has audio, is a live stream vs recorded. I don't think I like your new priest and his Peeping Tom camera!

I'm in the most CCTV covered country in the world and a camera in a chapel definitely crosses the line for me. We don't even have that here! Why not suggest the priest have a professional camera installed at the entrances, see who comes and goes? You do not, imho, need to see what people are doing at the altar etc. It sounds very creepy to have a hidden camera anywhere tbh. I'm not sure about US of A laws but UK laws require signage of some sort to indicate a camera is present in a building and if that camera has audio, is a live stream vs recorded. I don't think I like your new priest and his Peeping Tom camera!.
The camera is not hidden, but unless you were looking for it, you would not know it was there. Signage is required here also. Creepy is not the word for it. Since I am just one of those heathen Protestants who keeps vigil in the Chapel to help out the Catholics (and we are just as proud of it and want it to stay as they are - except the priest that is), I am pleased to be able to say - he ain't MY priest. I do not like him either.

Wow.
Can you get him transferred out?
I'm subversive... I'd probably snip the wire or something on the camera.... or Vaseline the lens.
=)
Kk.

Wow.
Can you get him transferred out?
I'm subversive... I'd probably snip the wire or something on the camera.... or Vaseline the lens.
=)
Kk..
Cannot reach it besides - I would be on the camera as doing it. The person I relieve sdaid he thought of tossing a hat over it.

Back