Need some creative thinking.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
Here’s a fun question. Put on your kitchen creativity hat.

We serve a Chefs Choice breakfast, but with alternative choices. So guests can choose between Chefs Choice of the day, which is posted, or oatmeal, yogurt or scrambled eggs. When we used to post “Quiche” as Chefs Choice of the day, guests always chose scrambled eggs. So we changed the name of Quiche to “Baked Omelet” and people started choosing the Chefs Choice. 🤣

So, here’s the question - I make an awesome bread pudding using offer cake. No one orders it. I think because the name “bread pudding” sounds old fashioned or yucky.

What would be a better name for a Blueberry Bread Pudding? I thought of strata, but no one knows what that is either.

This is from Wikipedia, but blueberry Jumble keeps hitting my brain.

In other languages, its name is a translation of "bread pudding" or even just "pudding", for example "pudín" or "budín".[1][2] In the Philippines, banana bread pudding is popular. In Mexico, there is a similar dish eaten during Lent called capirotada.[3][4] In the United Kingdom, a moist version of Nelson cake, itself a bread pudding, is nicknamed "Wet Nelly"

I also avoid the ‘bread pudding’ nomenclature. I won’t order it when I’m eating out, but I happen to love the version I make with leftover croissants. It has many names around here, but ‘baked blueberry puff’ goes over well.

What's offer cake?

How about baked blueberry french toast?

Not sure Wet Nelly would get more orders than bread pudding. 😂

I might go with baked berry French toast. Or puffed French toast. 😛

Yep. Is it a meal dish or dessert? ..bread pudding doesn't do it but, add the word...awesome or guest favorite or local blueberry favorite. If your clientele is a younger then probably doesn't even know what it is.

I've been making a quasi blueberry bread pudding dish (sort of a cross between bread pudding and a honey blueberry upside down cake) and it's rather hideous to look at, but sooo yummy. I call it "blueberry fool", which for some reason goes over well with the guests (its vague, but that's ok). Agree that "baked blueberry french toast" might be the ticket :)

Blueberry French Toast Puff would get me to order it. I tend to steer clear of bread pudding because some of the recipes use so much cream that is can be closer to pudding then I prefer.
I guess it’s a little bit of a texture thing which my help describe the dish.

Here’s a fun question. Put on your kitchen creativity hat.

We serve a Chefs Choice breakfast, but with alternative choices. So guests can choose between Chefs Choice of the day, which is posted, or oatmeal, yogurt or scrambled eggs. When we used to post “Quiche” as Chefs Choice of the day, guests always chose scrambled eggs. So we changed the name of Quiche to “Baked Omelet” and people started choosing the Chefs Choice. 🤣

So, here’s the question - I make an awesome bread pudding using offer cake. No one orders it. I think because the name “bread pudding” sounds old fashioned or yucky.

What would be a better name for a Blueberry Bread Pudding? I thought of strata, but no one knows what that is either.
Blueberry French Toast. Serve with or without a cream cheese drizzle. Try an Amish Breakfast Casserole - our Guests love it !!

Update. I called it Baked French Toast with Berries and Walnuts.
Almost ran out! Raves!
One woman said, “ that’s the best baked French toast I’ve ever had. And I make baked French toast. Don’t tell my kids!”
It’s all in the marketing!

Update. I called it Baked French Toast with Berries and Walnuts.
Almost ran out! Raves!
One woman said, “ that’s the best baked French toast I’ve ever had. And I make baked French toast. Don’t tell my kids!”
It’s all in the marketing!
Nailed it!

We make a similar version - Cinnamon Baked French Toast with Cherry Wine sauce (or any fruit sauce will do) and it's always a win! Baked in ramekins and POW!

Back