Networking Pays Off!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My reporter is arriving today. I need to get her room finished ready - but the funeral people who came in last night have not left yet, waiting for their son to arrive (my second room), and their granddaughter (is it OK for her to stay in our room for 1 night, she will sleep on the floor) - not at my inn, so I will be setting up a cot. Oh, she said I need to tell you that she is gluten-free, son who just now arrived has Crohn's so no seeds and the old guy told me at breakfast that he does not eat eggs. It was pancakes this morning - oh and she did tell me when making the rez that they were diabetic.
The reporter is coming to do a story on what it is to be an innkeeper. So tomorrow morning she will really get to see what we do with special diet needs and then after breakfast what we do to clean a room.
This has been a MORNING!! Everyone just left to go arrange for the flowers. After breakfast the ad guy from the Fairmont paper came to get me to put an ad in the supplement our Blueprint team is doing to promote our city and as the guests were leaving I was being interviewed by the Clarksburg paper about the economic impact the washout is having on business - the culvert washed out last June and we are waiting for a bridge to be put in so we will once again have 17 miles of rail-trail.

My reporter is arriving today. I need to get her room finished ready - but the funeral people who came in last night have not left yet, waiting for their son to arrive (my second room), and their granddaughter (is it OK for her to stay in our room for 1 night, she will sleep on the floor) - not at my inn, so I will be setting up a cot. Oh, she said I need to tell you that she is gluten-free, son who just now arrived has Crohn's so no seeds and the old guy told me at breakfast that he does not eat eggs. It was pancakes this morning - oh and she did tell me when making the rez that they were diabetic.
The reporter is coming to do a story on what it is to be an innkeeper. So tomorrow morning she will really get to see what we do with special diet needs and then after breakfast what we do to clean a room.
This has been a MORNING!! Everyone just left to go arrange for the flowers. After breakfast the ad guy from the Fairmont paper came to get me to put an ad in the supplement our Blueprint team is doing to promote our city and as the guests were leaving I was being interviewed by the Clarksburg paper about the economic impact the washout is having on business - the culvert washed out last June and we are waiting for a bridge to be put in so we will once again have 17 miles of rail-trail..
gillumhouse said:
This could pan out to be a wonderful article as to how service minded innkeepers really are...of course to could also detour anyone from wanting to get into the business. Hope it is written to make all seem rosey!
You are a great spokesperson for the B&B industry, and your town. A jewel!

This has been a MORNING!! Everyone just left to go arrange for the flowers. After breakfast the ad guy from the Fairmont paper came to get me to put an ad in the supplement our Blueprint team is doing to promote our city and as the guests were leaving I was being interviewed by the Clarksburg paper about the economic impact the washout is having on business - the culvert washed out last June and we are waiting for a bridge to be put in so we will once again have 17 miles of rail-trail..
gillumhouse said:
This could pan out to be a wonderful article as to how service minded innkeepers really are...of course to could also detour anyone from wanting to get into the business. Hope it is written to make all seem rosey!
Thank you. I appreciate that.
We are taking her to dinner at Jimmy's tonight so she can experience Spaghetti Night! Oh, it turns out it is wheat that she cannot have not the gluten issue. So she DOES need the bread I made for her.

gillumhouse said:
We are taking her to dinner at Jimmy's tonight so she can experience Spaghetti Night! Oh, it turns out it is wheat that she cannot have not the gluten issue. So she DOES need the bread I made for her.
Sometimes these food issues get overwelming... Last weekend we had a group reservation - all rooms for a wedding! Lady informed me she was gluten free and dad was diabetic when they booked. When they arrived nothing else was mentioned when I repeated the info I already knew...next morning, after breakfast, Mom (80+yrs young) informed me she was supposed to be on the BRAT diet due to an intestinal problem....Next morning she had white rice and a bananna. Oh and since she was there for a wedding with the odds very slim that any BRAT item would be served, I made her some rice and toast to take with her. Of course they were very grateful and commented about never receiving such assistance if they had stayed at a hotel.

gillumhouse said:
Sometimes these food issues get overwelming... Last weekend we had a group reservation - all rooms for a wedding! Lady informed me she was gluten free and dad was diabetic when they booked. When they arrived nothing else was mentioned when I repeated the info I already knew...next morning, after breakfast, Mom (80+yrs young) informed me she was supposed to be on the BRAT diet due to an intestinal problem....Next morning she had white rice and a bananna. Oh and since she was there for a wedding with the odds very slim that any BRAT item would be served, I made her some rice and toast to take with her. Of course they were very grateful and commented about never receiving such assistance if they had stayed at a hotel.
The reporter and I were talking in the Library and the granddaughter poked her head in to ask a question and then we proceeded to have a great chat about politics (poor young reporter thought WV politics were dirty - we BOTH told her they were pikers compared to Chicago) it was a fun conversation. Then guest retired and we got back to the interview until DH came in and informed the "owner" to tone it down because there were guests above her....
The table is set and my young helper is setting her alarm for 6 am to make breakfast. She bacically does a newspaper version of "Dirty Jobs". She has made snow at a ski resort and pulled cable in a rainstorm for a media feed among some of the jobs she has done. We showed her the town first. Then we got into B & B.

Back