New Breakfast Photo

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your table looks beautiful and I LOVE your china. If money and time permitted, I would change my china every month. Every time I go to an antique store I head straight for the antique china. And every time a new pattern comes out from Villeroy and Boch (or whomever, I just happen to be in love with their French Garden pattern right now) I fall in love with that. I've been able to control my impulses to buy, so far. It is a real weakness. That and flowers for my garden....and chocolate. I definitely give in to the chocolate. A girl has to live!
regular_smile.gif
I have a friend who owns a tea shop. Need I say more? She doesn't do matchy-matchy, tho, it's all catch as catch can. And it's so much fun to hear everyone say, 'Ooooo, look what pattern I got!' And they all compare plates and cups!
THAT'S what I would have if all of that china could go in the dishwasher. As it is, my plates are something along the lines of $30 EACH, and I'd feel sinful consigning them to the cupboard and buying anything else!

I wonder if it will pop if it's on a dark tablecloth instead of a white one, like a navy blue colored tablecloth...?
Riki.
I happened to have used a pink lace tablecloth that morning. This is different shot of the same take - not a retake. Next time I try to do a breakfast photo I will use my dark blue goblets, silver chargers, and a cream colored tablecloth and monogramed napkins, and my Pfaltzgraff dishes. The fruit was all the color I had that morning.
There will be a next time.......
I don't use tablecloths but the photo looked better with something under the plate, rather than having the reflection from the polished wood table in every shot! (I HAVE tablecloths, I just don't use them.) So, think outside the box. You don't have to use something that IS a tablecloth to take the pic. I hate my plates, nothing looks really good on a bluish background, but that's all I have. Even MY dishes are blue & white! I may just buy ONE white plate to use when taking pix!
What color are the Pfaltzgraff dishes? I'm trying to picture this and so far I have the same feeling...all the same color except the cobalt goblets. (And some juices don't look good in blue glasses, keep that in mind.) Silver and cream will look like one solid color.
The Yorktown pattern gray with blue design. I am sooooo tired of those dishes. I wish the potter would get the new dishes done, they will be pale gray with a burgundy rim, I told him I need the mugs first. He is so buried with settleing his Mom's estate and closing her house that he has not even started my order. They are in the process of building thier own house and had to move into the pottery because the floor of their temp housing (an old family house) rotted out on them. I have hopes of seeing them (the mugs) before the season ends.......
Oh, golly, practically the same color as mine! But, they must look stunning with the cobalt goblets!
Now a deep burgundy tablecloth would set those off well. (Or a burgundy SHEET, for the photos!)

Your table looks beautiful and I LOVE your china. If money and time permitted, I would change my china every month. Every time I go to an antique store I head straight for the antique china. And every time a new pattern comes out from Villeroy and Boch (or whomever, I just happen to be in love with their French Garden pattern right now) I fall in love with that. I've been able to control my impulses to buy, so far. It is a real weakness. That and flowers for my garden....and chocolate. I definitely give in to the chocolate. A girl has to live!
regular_smile.gif
I have a friend who owns a tea shop. Need I say more? She doesn't do matchy-matchy, tho, it's all catch as catch can. And it's so much fun to hear everyone say, 'Ooooo, look what pattern I got!' And they all compare plates and cups!
THAT'S what I would have if all of that china could go in the dishwasher. As it is, my plates are something along the lines of $30 EACH, and I'd feel sinful consigning them to the cupboard and buying anything else!
one of my friends does teas for his foundation honoring his late wife (she was killed at the Pentagon on 9/11) with a huge assortment of teacups and teapots. When they go to nursing homes on repeat visits, everyone looks for 'her' teacup and saucer as they are all different.

I wonder if it will pop if it's on a dark tablecloth instead of a white one, like a navy blue colored tablecloth...?
Riki.
I happened to have used a pink lace tablecloth that morning. This is different shot of the same take - not a retake. Next time I try to do a breakfast photo I will use my dark blue goblets, silver chargers, and a cream colored tablecloth and monogramed napkins, and my Pfaltzgraff dishes. The fruit was all the color I had that morning.
There will be a next time.......
I don't use tablecloths but the photo looked better with something under the plate, rather than having the reflection from the polished wood table in every shot! (I HAVE tablecloths, I just don't use them.) So, think outside the box. You don't have to use something that IS a tablecloth to take the pic. I hate my plates, nothing looks really good on a bluish background, but that's all I have. Even MY dishes are blue & white! I may just buy ONE white plate to use when taking pix!
What color are the Pfaltzgraff dishes? I'm trying to picture this and so far I have the same feeling...all the same color except the cobalt goblets. (And some juices don't look good in blue glasses, keep that in mind.) Silver and cream will look like one solid color.
The Yorktown pattern gray with blue design. I am sooooo tired of those dishes. I wish the potter would get the new dishes done, they will be pale gray with a burgundy rim, I told him I need the mugs first. He is so buried with settleing his Mom's estate and closing her house that he has not even started my order. They are in the process of building thier own house and had to move into the pottery because the floor of their temp housing (an old family house) rotted out on them. I have hopes of seeing them (the mugs) before the season ends.......
Oh, golly, practically the same color as mine! But, they must look stunning with the cobalt goblets!
Now a deep burgundy tablecloth would set those off well. (Or a burgundy SHEET, for the photos!)
Burgundy is my color - I have tablecloth! and napkins! Next time...... However I think I would use my wine goblets (which I use for juice glasses all the time) that are cobalt blue with clear glass stems. They are stunning and dekicate (but not as delicate as the amber goblets - DH hates washing them for fear of breakingthem). And the cobalt waters.

regular_smile.gif
I found my Steubenville china on eBay. Unfortunately so much of my stuff is non-dishwasher that I gave up my master plan in 2007 when DH was out of the house with his little bypass caper. My problem is space - as in lack of. I have no space to put another set of dishes.
The master plan was that if he had the termerity to drop dead, I would verify he was dead and then call Sears to arrange for a dishwasher to be delivered - before I called the meat wagon. I have my priorities!! However, during his 7 week absence, I realized that so few of my dishes could actually go IN a dishwasher that I gave up the plan. DANG!!!

regular_smile.gif
I found my Steubenville china on eBay. Unfortunately so much of my stuff is non-dishwasher that I gave up my master plan in 2007 when DH was out of the house with his little bypass caper. My problem is space - as in lack of. I have no space to put another set of dishes.
The master plan was that if he had the termerity to drop dead, I would verify he was dead and then call Sears to arrange for a dishwasher to be delivered - before I called the meat wagon. I have my priorities!! However, during his 7 week absence, I realized that so few of my dishes could actually go IN a dishwasher that I gave up the plan. DANG!!!
Many of the new dishwashers have china settings now. Stemware is another matter.
regular_smile.gif

Fiests is made here in WV - less than 30 miles from where I grew up and even closer to Catlady's hometown. I can't afford the showroom at the factory - I get my stuff in the Seconds room. I got a nice burgundy oval casserole last time I was up there. Maybe I will start thinking along the lines of a set of plates & bowls.... Hmmmmm.

oceans said:
We use Fiesta ware here. The new stuff which is lead free. Anyone else use that? I just love how it holds up to repeated use and washings. Be careful though with the purple color as that scratches and doesn't look so good after a while. Here are a few pictures a guest took of them. http://www.flickr.com/photos/amygarrick/3179101880/in/set-72157612322998002/
I have a whole bunch of vintage CA pottery carafe/servers with lids - Bauer, Catalina ware and Fiesta. I love anything bright and colorful! I can't EVER find this back east.
58f4_1.JPG

regular_smile.gif
Many of the new dishwashers have china settings now. Stemware is another matter.
regular_smile.gif

Fostoria clouds up in a dishwasher. It really is not so bad - I hate silverware more than anything else. Have no clue why - just is.

You've given away your location
wink_smile.gif
Beautiful!
I LOVE that look for an area like yours. If I had a place near the water, I'd have all that bright Fiestaware. I have several pieces of very old stuff that was my Mom's...not enough to really do anything with.

Fiests is made here in WV - less than 30 miles from where I grew up and even closer to Catlady's hometown. I can't afford the showroom at the factory - I get my stuff in the Seconds room. I got a nice burgundy oval casserole last time I was up there. Maybe I will start thinking along the lines of a set of plates & bowls.... Hmmmmm..
One of my past guests lived near the Fiesta Ware factory in WV as well. They were so excited when they came down for breakfast and saw that we were using it here. We have a department store here called Gottschalks that always has Fiesta Ware on sale for 40% off.

regular_smile.gif
regular_smile.gif

Fostoria clouds up in a dishwasher. It really is not so bad - I hate silverware more than anything else. Have no clue why - just is.
I would never wash my Fostoria crystal in the dishwasher - it's just too delicate too.

wink_smile.gif
Beautiful!
I LOVE that look for an area like yours. If I had a place near the water, I'd have all that bright Fiestaware. I have several pieces of very old stuff that was my Mom's...not enough to really do anything with..
Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
Beautiful!
I LOVE that look for an area like yours. If I had a place near the water, I'd have all that bright Fiestaware. I have several pieces of very old stuff that was my Mom's...not enough to really do anything with.
Shhh! He might want to remove that link to keep it top secret.
cheers.gif

wink_smile.gif
Beautiful!
I LOVE that look for an area like yours. If I had a place near the water, I'd have all that bright Fiestaware. I have several pieces of very old stuff that was my Mom's...not enough to really do anything with..
Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
Beautiful!
Shhh! He might want to remove that link to keep it top secret.
cheers.gif

That's why I said something!!
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

I'm in awe of those Flicker photos. What a stunning setting for an inn. I'm envious.

Fiests is made here in WV - less than 30 miles from where I grew up and even closer to Catlady's hometown. I can't afford the showroom at the factory - I get my stuff in the Seconds room. I got a nice burgundy oval casserole last time I was up there. Maybe I will start thinking along the lines of a set of plates & bowls.... Hmmmmm..
One of my past guests lived near the Fiesta Ware factory in WV as well. They were so excited when they came down for breakfast and saw that we were using it here. We have a department store here called Gottschalks that always has Fiesta Ware on sale for 40% off.
I lived one block away from it and worked at Homer Laughlin for a summer....that was all I could take!!! People think they get good deals at the outlet in town...wrong...cost more!!! Only if you are willing to scrounge through the dirty bins which I hate doing:-(

Most all of the FIestaware will scratch. I have found some glass oven top cleaners will remove these scratches.

regular_smile.gif
We use Fiesta ware here. The new stuff which is lead free. Anyone else use that? I just love how it holds up to repeated use and washings. Be careful though with the purple color as that scratches and doesn't look so good after a while.

Back