New Credit Card Machine

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am an International Business Consultant helping businesses avoid unwanted penalties by becoming compliant by October 2015. https://paulaoneal.shopacnrep.com/en/for-your-business/merchant-services.aspx
2 Major Shifts in U.S. Payment Processing have created a huge opportunity to grow your business:
Over 9 million U.S. merchants do not currently meet the EMV Data Security Regulations that require merchants to support secure chip technology credit and debit cards.
86% of merchants in the U.S. and Canada will support Mobile Wallet payments by 2017 to respond to a huge increase in consumer demand.
This means merchants are required to upgrade their equipment and are therefore open to considering a new provider.
My company Anovia Has the Solution!
Anovia offers point of sale equipment that accepts BOTH safer (EMV) and easier (Mobile Wallet) payments:
By October 2015, all merchants are required to support secure chip cards. Any merchant without this will be liable for any fraudulent purchases.
I offer my customers the ability to accept payments with Apple Pay or Google Wallet.

Anovia provides payment solutions for independent contractors, retail/shopping, hospitality and restaurant services and online sales merchants.
With an improved sales process, customers can Click to Call or Click to Chat and Anovia will take care of the rest.
AND...Anovia will GUARANTEE savings or they will give you a $100 Visa Gift Card!
Call me (Paula Wood) 301-523-4493 or Click the link to learn more information and to submitt your basic information for a free comparison report https://paulaoneal.shopacnrep.com/en/for-your-business/merchant-services.aspx
If we are't able to save you money, we will send you a $100 Visa Gift Card!.
Ah... Multilevel Marketing has discovered our little corner of the world. Of course then we have to recruit others who recruit others, who recruit others....
Hi Jon! Not the case with this. I'm here because my friend owns a Bed and Breakfast and Anovia has helped her save on processing fees and she asked me to share with others. Anovia is a service that is offered to Businesses (my own included - Film Business) to help merchants save money on credit card processing fees. No recruiting involved with this...you will simply become a customer with a better service provider if you choose.
Cheers!
We have friends who do this as well. We've been to their meetings to discuss how we can buy processing and utilities thru them whereby they get a cut of the savings and it's 'doing business with friends'.
They're not the hard sell kind of folks but I know they were very disappointed when we didn't sign up with them and it put a strain on our relationship because they were relying on the sales pitch THEY received that there was money to be made in them thar hills as there were only 3 other reps in the area.
Someone is making money but it's not our friends.

I am an International Business Consultant helping businesses avoid unwanted penalties by becoming compliant by October 2015. https://paulaoneal.shopacnrep.com/en/for-your-business/merchant-services.aspx
2 Major Shifts in U.S. Payment Processing have created a huge opportunity to grow your business:
Over 9 million U.S. merchants do not currently meet the EMV Data Security Regulations that require merchants to support secure chip technology credit and debit cards.
86% of merchants in the U.S. and Canada will support Mobile Wallet payments by 2017 to respond to a huge increase in consumer demand.
This means merchants are required to upgrade their equipment and are therefore open to considering a new provider.
Anovia offers point of sale equipment that accepts BOTH safer (EMV) and easier (Mobile Wallet) payments:
By October 2015, all merchants are required to support secure chip cards. Any merchant without this will be liable for any fraudulent purchases.
I offer my customers the ability to accept payments with Apple Pay or Google Wallet.

Anovia provides payment solutions for independent contractors, retail/shopping, hospitality and restaurant services and online sales merchants.
With an improved sales process, customers can Click to Call or Click to Chat and Anovia will take care of the rest.
AND...Anovia will GUARANTEE savings or they will give you a $100 Visa Gift Card!
Call me (Paula Wood) 301-523-4493 or Click the link to learn more information and to submitt your basic information for a free comparison report https://paulaoneal.shopacnrep.com/en/for-your-business/merchant-services.aspx
Ah... Multilevel Marketing has discovered our little corner of the world. Of course then we have to recruit others who recruit others, who recruit others....
Hi Jon! Not the case with this. I'm here because my friend owns a Bed and Breakfast and Anovia has helped her save on processing fees and she asked me to share with others. Anovia is a service that is offered to Businesses (my own included - Film Business) to help merchants save money on credit card processing fees. No recruiting involved with this...you will simply become a customer with a better service provider if you choose.
Cheers!
We have friends who do this as well. We've been to their meetings to discuss how we can buy processing and utilities thru them whereby they get a cut of the savings and it's 'doing business with friends'.
They're not the hard sell kind of folks but I know they were very disappointed when we didn't sign up with them and it put a strain on our relationship because they were relying on the sales pitch THEY received that there was money to be made in them thar hills as there were only 3 other reps in the area.
Thanks for sharing Morticia. Sorry to hear that your friends were disappointed about you not becoming a customer and that it put a strain on your relationship. The beauty of this business is that it's a choice, your choice. I just present the information and if you're ready to take advantage great, if not, great.
Curious - did you get the free comparison done by Anovia? You know it can all be done online and you don't have to go anywhere. Same thing with you energy bill if you were interested. ;)

Cheers!
Thanks for sharing Morticia. Sorry to hear that your friends were disappointed about you not becoming a customer and that it put a strain on your relationship. The beauty of this business is that it's a choice, your choice. I just present the information and if you're ready to take advantage great, if not, great.
Curious - did you get the free comparison done by Anovia? You know it can all be done online and you don't have to go anywhere. Same thing with you energy bill if you were interested. ;)
The issue is coming onto a forum and starting to seek free marketing, regardless of the product/service.
A number of forums and discussion areas are bombarded with this kind of stuff.
Although some are more tolerant, it is never considered proper etiquette. It is on par with people who put up bandit signs on street corners "I Buy Houses!" Others pay the price for proper marketing, billboards, etc. Some try to shortcut around and take some advantage
I do not know if this forum has a paid marketing avenue; if so, would be better to discuss with the owner.

Cheers!
Yes we did the comparison. Then found that Gulf Oil had a much better deal for us.
The processing guy who called to do the comparison for us all but called me an idiot for not going with them. That soured me on the whole program. He called repeatedly and got very obnoxious when I wouldn't buy from him.
I told our friends and they complained to their handlers that the guy was scaring off prospects. Don't know what happened there but that kind of bullying doesn't work on everyone.

Cheers!
The issue is coming onto a forum and starting to seek free marketing, regardless of the product/service.
Although some are more tolerant, it is never considered proper etiquette. It is on par with people who put up bandit signs on street corners "I Buy Houses!" Others pay the price for proper marketing, billboards, etc. Some try to shortcut around and take some advantage
I do not know if this forum has a paid marketing avenue; if so, would be better to discuss with the owner.
undersea said:
No, there is no paid marketing on here. Not that you can buy in that sense. There are the ads that show up in the side panels but those underwrite a very small portion of the expense of keeping the site live.

Paula, Resources would be a better place to post this.

Cheers!
undersea said:
No, there is no paid marketing on here. Not that you can buy in that sense. There are the ads that show up in the side panels but those underwrite a very small portion of the expense of keeping the site live.
OK, thanks. Some forums I have been on, have a marketing program where advertisers can pay for X number of impressions or a banner ad. Maybe the owner uses AdSense or something? Never did that myself.

Thanks! Just trying to help. Happy 4th!

Thanks! Just trying to help. Happy 4th!
If you copy/paste under Resources, it will always be there. Then if you still have edit under your post, you can delete your original post where it will be buried and hard to find.

If you want to still use a machine, go to Tom Weiskotten. I've used him for years and he specializes in b&bs. I can buy the machine from him for approx. $300.00 He has good rates on processing and is there if there are any problems. He's saved my arse a few times over the years. I also have auth.net through him that integrates with ResKey..
We've used Tom and he's fantastic. I guess it's time to contact him about getting an upgraded machine.

First Data was going to sell me a machine for $500ish. I found another machine, different make/model for $300ish on Ebay, where I've bought my last 2 in the past 10 years. Supposed to be compliant, but I haven't double checked with FD.

First Data was going to sell me a machine for $500ish. I found another machine, different make/model for $300ish on Ebay, where I've bought my last 2 in the past 10 years. Supposed to be compliant, but I haven't double checked with FD..
Suzie Q said:
First Data was going to sell me a machine for $500ish. I found another machine, different make/model for $300ish on Ebay, where I've bought my last 2 in the past 10 years. Supposed to be compliant, but I haven't double checked with FD.
I was with FD until recently. Boy they sure didn't like that I wanted to part ways. Took me 5 service reps and over 1 1/2 hrs to get my cancellation confirmation.

FYI - Suzie, if you haven't purchased the machine yet, you may be interested to know that FD also has a mobile processing plan. They will set you up and send you a reader for your phone or tablet for $19.99. Your processing fees, time to get your money etc. stay the same.

First Data was going to sell me a machine for $500ish. I found another machine, different make/model for $300ish on Ebay, where I've bought my last 2 in the past 10 years. Supposed to be compliant, but I haven't double checked with FD..
Suzie Q said:
I was with FD until recently. Boy they sure didn't like that I wanted to part ways. Took me 5 service reps and over 1 1/2 hrs to get my cancellation confirmation.

FYI - Suzie, if you haven't purchased the machine yet, you may be interested to know that FD also has a mobile processing plan. They will set you up and send you a reader for your phone or tablet for $19.99. Your processing fees, time to get your money etc. stay the same.
Thank you, Copperhead!

Suzie Q said:
My last month with First Data with NO transactions (everything was check, cash, or Square) and they politely on schedule removed $22.90 from my checking account. I waited until they took to be clean slate with them. And then I quit. They were much nicer about it than their predecessors - I had to threaten my bank with moving my account after filling out paperwork TWICE to NOT allow grubby paws on my funds. First Data just went away after one extra phone call.

I hate when the CC companies get this wrong.... mistakenly or intentionally.
There are two things happening by the 1st of October...
  1. They (not you) must be able to process using the chip. Any processor who is incapable of processing with the chip, may lose their right to be a processor.
  2. A liability shift in regards to counterfeit cards. If your terminal processes both chip and mag stripe, nothing changes. If your terminal only processes via mag stripe and you get a counterfeit transaction (fake card, deny that they used the card), you are liable instead of Visa/MC. (If the card has a chip, you must process with the chip unless the system tells you "swipe allowed".)
There is an exception, fuel processing and ATM transactions are October 2017 instead of 2015.
So, if you don't have a terminal that accept chips, and you process a transaction on a fraudulent number or with a fake card or the user denies the transaction, you don't get paid. This will apply to everyone.
3050.jpg
One thing you NEED to think about. For EMV (chip) transactions, you do not touch the card. You hand them a handset that has a slot for them to put in their card. Take a look at the photo, there is no place to swipe the card... because the card goes into the slot. (They still hand you the card if they have no chip). They see the amount and they have to agree to the amount (it then asks about tips, if you have that configured.) And if they are C&P, like we are, it will then ask us for our pin. So, you might want to think about where you are putting your terminal or if you want one of the more expensive terminals like the IWL220 which has short range wireless (bluetooth) so you can take the terminal to the guest.
Incidentally, how you process will change as well. You will likely need to press 1 for sale, then enter the amount and then have the guest put the card in or then swipe the card. You cannot swipe first! The system change to approval of the amount by the guest.
One other important change... the chip proves that the card was present, 100% of the time. So if they deny the charge, saying it wasn't their card, unless they actually went to the cops and reported their card stolen, they will lose 100% of the time and Visa/MC may charge them with fraud. The chip has more information on it than the mag stripe and they will be able to confirm that the card was present..
Generic said:
I hate when the CC companies get this wrong.... mistakenly or intentionally.
There are two things happening by the 1st of October...
  1. They (not you) must be able to process using the chip. Any processor who is incapable of processing with the chip, may lose their right to be a processor.
  2. A liability shift in regards to counterfeit cards. If your terminal processes both chip and mag stripe, nothing changes. If your terminal only processes via mag stripe and you get a counterfeit transaction (fake card, deny that they used the card), you are liable instead of Visa/MC. (If the card has a chip, you must process with the chip unless the system tells you "swipe allowed".)
There is an exception, fuel processing and ATM transactions are October 2017 instead of 2015.
So, if you don't have a terminal that accept chips, and you process a transaction on a fraudulent number or with a fake card or the user denies the transaction, you don't get paid. This will apply to everyone.
3050.jpg
One thing you NEED to think about. For EMV (chip) transactions, you do not touch the card. You hand them a handset that has a slot for them to put in their card. Take a look at the photo, there is no place to swipe the card... because the card goes into the slot. (They still hand you the card if they have no chip). They see the amount and they have to agree to the amount (it then asks about tips, if you have that configured.) And if they are C&P, like we are, it will then ask us for our pin. So, you might want to think about where you are putting your terminal or if you want one of the more expensive terminals like the IWL220 which has short range wireless (bluetooth) so you can take the terminal to the guest.
Incidentally, how you process will change as well. You will likely need to press 1 for sale, then enter the amount and then have the guest put the card in or then swipe the card. You cannot swipe first! The system change to approval of the amount by the guest.
One other important change... the chip proves that the card was present, 100% of the time. So if they deny the charge, saying it wasn't their card, unless they actually went to the cops and reported their card stolen, they will lose 100% of the time and Visa/MC may charge them with fraud. The chip has more information on it than the mag stripe and they will be able to confirm that the card was present.
Generic,
I appreciate the link to our website, and before I post in here, as a disclaimer I am employed with Helcim. In response to your post, we have been working on a few support threads for the iWL and iCT series terminals in regards to popular FAQ such as adding tip adjust, manual keyed in entries (Virtual Terminals are a great alternative for managing account payments and keyed entries without reliance on a terminal) and more; the videos are available on YouTube for anyone who is curious, here's a playlist. If you visit Helcim support, you will find a whole bunch of guides. Anything we haven't covered, or questions that remain, feel free to let me know and we will put it on the list!
Right now you can win an EMV ready Ingenico iCT220 terminal from Merchant Maverick (9 days let to enter), this is a $150 - $200 entry level EMV terminal.
Above I noticed Square mentioned. For usability and ease, Square is absolutely fantastic, but they do tend to focus on small business transactions and their fees become quite extensive when processing higher volumes. Here's our mobile credit card processing rate comparison with Square: I used to run a small business processing around $2500.00 and Square was a great stepping stone into the world of a merchant.
I would love to answer any questions for you guys regarding credit card processing, the US EMV migration, or payments in general for anyone. Hope the EMV migration hasn't been too much of a stress, I'll do my best to help out!

Back