New guy - hoping to open this fall

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesternMass

Reaction score
hey whats up everybody

long time/first time

I'm opening a new place in western massachusetts, it is going to be small (7 suites) but very high-end ($300-$400/night)
giant rooms with full kitchens, private decks, heated floors, walk-in showers, etc
full bar & kitchen, outdoor stage for weddings & concerts, hot tubs, gardens, 38 acres of hiking/biking trails, year-round trout stream, etc.

we are in a small town but on a major road (the mohawk trail -- first scenic highway in america)
lots of activities with rafting, fishing, ziplines, mountain coaster, colleges, and museums, super scenic country area but only 2 hrs to boston & 3 to NYC

the building itself is an 8000 sq ft mansion from 1914, that was a nursing home for 60 years, then abandoned for a decade
my buddy bought it a few years ago, just before covid hit
that slowed us down & jacked up the price of everything, but we are hoping to finally open later this year

I've never run a hotel before, but ran a small seasonal restaurant with my wife for 10 years
my dad was a manager for marriott for 40 years, and my brother runs a hotel in vegas, so I have some hospitality connections

anyways, it's nice to be here, I will have lots of questions for you coming soon!

Welcome, sound like fun, I started because I wanted to run a motel, didn't seem that difficult if you like people.

Sounds like a great spot! Best of luck.
We are on the north shore of boston. 5 rooms, full breakfast, no evening service or restaurant.
I am a umass alum. So I know it’s a beautiful area.

I'm opening a new place in western massachusetts, it is going to be small (7 suites) but very high-end ($300-$400/night)
giant rooms with full kitchens, private decks, heated floors, walk-in showers, etc
full bar & kitchen, outdoor stage for weddings & concerts, hot tubs, gardens, 38 acres of hiking/biking trails, year-round trout stream, etc.

Welcome to the industry. You should take a moment and go meet Doug and Jim at The Devonfield Inn down in Lenox.

Here's your unsolicited marketing tip to get you started. If you think of marketing as an expense you'll always seek to reduce it. If you realize marketing is an investment that not only pays for itself but also provides a return on your investment (ROI), you'll beat the competition all day long.

Good luck!

Welcome! It sounds like a great area with lots of attractions and your plans sound wonderful.
You can learn a lot from this group! You may want to connect with B&B/Inn Associations for more educational opportunities and to support advocacy for the industry. Also get to know other innkeepers in the area - they (for the most part) are NOT your competition - they are a great resource for guest referrals and help with stuff like "where"s the best place to get _____?". Be sure to also connect with the local Chamber of Commerce or other business group. But I'm sure you already knew all that anyway....;)
ALL THE BEST to you!

we are in a small town but on a major road (the mohawk trail -- first scenic highway in america)
I grew up on the Mohawk Trail, east of you in Templeton. Back before Route 2 was expanded in 1970, cars were bumper to bumper through our small town during foliage! Good Luck! Also a UMass alum.

Last edited:
Hi,
I am also new to the hospitality business. This is our second season running a six room inn in Port Washington NY. I went to HS in Northfield MA and am familiar with the area-you have a spectacular spot! Don’t forget parents weekends etc. at all the area prep schools. Wishing you all the best!

Sounds like a great spot! Best of luck.
We are on the north shore of boston. 5 rooms, full breakfast, no evening service or restaurant.
I am a umass alum. So I know it’s a beautiful area.
Hey Beachouse...another Mass alum here! Class of '69 and ΚΑΘ. I wonder if our paths crossed?

hey whats up everybody

long time/first time

lots of activities with rafting, fishing, ziplines, mountain coaster, colleges, and museums, super scenic country area but only 2 hrs to boston & 3 to NYC

the building itself is an 8000 sq ft mansion from 1914, that was a nursing home for 60 years, then abandoned for a decade
my buddy bought it a few years ago, just before covid hit
that slowed us down & jacked up the price of everything, but we are hoping to finally open later this year

I've never run a hotel before, but ran a small seasonal restaurant with my wife for 10 years
my dad was a manager for marriott for 40 years, and my brother runs a hotel in vegas, so I have some hospitality connections

anyways, it's nice to be here, I will have lots of questions for you coming soon!

Welome! I was born and raised in the Berkshires, not far from where you will be, and it will always hold a special place in my heart! Right now I'm about as far from you as I could possibly be and still be in the same state...but winding down the B+B after 32 years of hosting. Wishing you the best of luck!

I grew up on the Mohawk Trail, east of you in Templeton. Back before Route 2 was expanded in 1970, cars were bumper to bumper through our small town during foliage! Good Luck! Also a UMass alum.
Looks like there are 3 of us UMass alums here. Were you there when the lights went out in '65?

Looks like there are 3 of us UMass alums here. Were you there when the lights went out in '65?
No. But I was there for the Bucky Dent game and the blizzard of ‘78.
Also the Greatful Dead at Spring Concert. The Blue Wall was NOT a coffee shop then.

No. But I was there for the Bucky Dent game and the blizzard of ‘78.
Also the Greatful Dead at Spring Concert. The Blue Wall was NOT a coffee shop then.
Ha, I also was in the area for the blizzard of '78. After that experience, I only applied to colleges in FL!

Welcome! Greetings from Penn Woods! But I too was born and raise in Southern New England...

Back