New keypad lock

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Disclaimer: We only have four rooms.
I change the code every time, every room. It takes about 10 seconds to add a code. I could probably delete them all at once, but it also takes about 10 seconds to remove one.
The problem we've had hasn't been the codes (no one forgets...so far). It's been the twits who don't listen when you tell them how to work the lock (which is a no-brainer, they should even need an explaination). Those people are beyond my capacity to help. Fortunately, they are few and far between..
This is why I got one with no moving parts. There is nothing for the guest to do but remember the code. Oh, and turn the doorknob, which is an amazing oversight that I have personally witnessed.

I change the code every time, every room. It takes about 10 seconds to add a code. I could probably delete them all at once, but it also takes about 10 seconds to remove one.
The problem we've had hasn't been the codes (no one forgets...so far). It's been the twits who don't listen when you tell them how to work the lock (which is a no-brainer, they should even need an explaination). Those people are beyond my capacity to help. Fortunately, they are few and far between..
This is why I got one with no moving parts. There is nothing for the guest to do but remember the code. Oh, and turn the doorknob, which is an amazing oversight that I have personally witnessed.
Alibi Ike said:
This is why I got one with no moving parts
We have one like that on our quarters - I think we have the same one Morticia has. It's noisy, but it's what people like I mentioned earlier need. But ours only holds two codes. We like one code for ourselves.

Alibi Ike said:
This will sound odd, but when I do the welcome schpeal I give them the code and MUST tell them "After you put the numbers in you have to open the door" I have no idea why anyone thinks the code makes it an auto door, but they do. Put in code, push door knob to open door.

Alibi Ike said:
This will sound odd, but when I do the welcome schpeal I give them the code and MUST tell them "After you put the numbers in you have to open the door" I have no idea why anyone thinks the code makes it an auto door, but they do. Put in code, push door knob to open door.
It goes along with folks who walk out the door and think it is going to close behind them.
We were eating lunch at a little restaurant yesterday and a kid came in, closed the door behind him and ordered his food. When he had his food he flung the door open and walked out leaving the door wide open behind him. It is NOT warm here. I was sitting right next to the door and had to get up from my lunch to close the door. Yeesh.
We do explain to use the doorknob. But you know how distracted guests are when they arrive. Unless we make them stand outside and do a trial run, they don't all remember to turn the knob. I'm not even sure they try to push the door open!

Alibi Ike said:
It goes along with folks who walk out the door and think it is going to close behind them.
We were eating lunch at a little restaurant yesterday and a kid came in, closed the door behind him and ordered his food. When he had his food he flung the door open and walked out leaving the door wide open behind him. It is NOT warm here. I was sitting right next to the door and had to get up from my lunch to close the door. Yeesh.
We do explain to use the doorknob. But you know how distracted guests are when they arrive. Unless we make them stand outside and do a trial run, they don't all remember to turn the knob. I'm not even sure they try to push the door open!
A slight side track on people & forgetfulness.... A lady walked up to the ATM right before me (I was in my car and waited a good distance back from the drive up ATM), she got her money & walked off.
I pull up and the machine is prompting, "Do you want another transaction?"
I had to push "no" and wait for her card and chase her down to give it to her with her receipt....

Alibi Ike said:
I just posted a link to the place where I bought a keypad lock.
Sorry to be dense but I can't see that link.
Was it edited out?.
https://www.innspiring.com/resources/electronics/keypad-locks-and-other-security-electronics
Alibi Ike said:
https://www.innspiring.com/resources/electronics/keypad-locks-and-other-security-electronics
Thanks for the reminder about the "Resources" section here, Alibi Ike - it really is a great facility.
The link you posted there goes to the key merchant's home page http://www.keylessaccesslocks.com/
What was the actual lock you used, please?
What we would like to do is to find one keypad lock for our home's common front door and separate keypad locks for the guest bedrooms that work together.
We have not been able to find locks where (separate) individual combination codes will unlock the relevant bedroom door AND the front entrance door (so guests do not have to remember TWO separate codes - one for their bedroom door and a different one for the front door). Does your lock system do that - or do you know of one that does, please?

Alibi Ike said:
Was it edited out?.
Alibi Ike said:
Thanks for the reminder about the "Resources" section here, Alibi Ike - it really is a great facility.
The link you posted there goes to the key merchant's home page http://www.keylessaccesslocks.com/
What we would like to do is to find one keypad lock for our home's common front door and separate keypad locks for the guest bedrooms that work together.
We have not been able to find locks where (separate) individual combination codes will unlock the relevant bedroom door AND the front entrance door (so guests do not have to remember TWO separate codes - one for their bedroom door and a different one for the front door). Does your lock system do that - or do you know of one that does, please?
You can always put the same code into the front door as the guest room. So, Room A gets code '1234' for their room and that code is also in the front door. Room B gets '2345' for the room code and that gets programmed into the front door as well. You need a front door lock with a lot of code potential.
Schlage 575. There are different versions of that model depending on your decor. I found more detailed info on the sales sites than on the Schlage home site.
There are a lot of them out there. Some are programmable from your computer so you don't even need to touch the keypad except to use the door.

I think that's because those are programmed by a computer. As the human, you can program the basic keypad locks with any codes you want. We wanted more codes than rooms as we have vendors on site all the time who also need access.
We don't need to 'time protect' entry which is what it sounds like you may want to do. Guests have 24 hour access once they check-in and when they leave 'their' code is removed. I think the resort locks also allow you track which codes are being used. Excellent if you have a lot of staff and you want to be sure they are not coming in when they aren't supposed to be on premises.
The time protected feature is excellent for properties where management is not on the premises and they need to insure that guests do not return after their check-out and incoming guests do not arrive before they are supposed to. For rental properties, this is a great feature.
For a B&B with owners on the premises, it's kind of overkill.

Alibi Ike said:
Was it edited out?.
Alibi Ike said:
You can always put the same code into the front door as the guest room. So, Room A gets code '1234' for their room and that code is also in the front door. Room B gets '2345' for the room code and that gets programmed into the front door as well. You need a front door lock with a lot of code potential.
Schlage 575. There are different versions of that model depending on your decor. I found more detailed info on the sales sites than on the Schlage home site.
There are a lot of them out there. Some are programmable from your computer so you don't even need to touch the keypad except to use the door.
Alibi Ike said:
I think we have decided to keep the mechanical locks on each guest room and get a Resort Lock 4000 (with individual time progammed entry codes for the front door). This is not ideal, since this lock will only cater for 4 separate time progammed entry codes for the front door (and we potentially have 5 rooms) but we can also program in another 300 time-independent permanent access codes
This the question we posed and the reply we got from them:
> We have 5 guest rooms and one common entrance door to our B&B.
>
> Can we issue one code (different for each of the 5 guest rooms) that will unlock
> only that guest room AND the common entrance door?
"Since the codes are based off of the locks serial ID, we could match the locks serial IDs to the common door lock, but that would mean every lock would share the same code. We would have no way to have the common door match each guest room door, but each guest room door not match the other guest room doors.
Code:
Thank you,
Paul
ResortLock.com
[url=http://codes.resortlock.com/]Codes.ResortLock.com[/url]
877-670-5625"

I think that's because those are programmed by a computer. As the human, you can program the basic keypad locks with any codes you want. We wanted more codes than rooms as we have vendors on site all the time who also need access.
We don't need to 'time protect' entry which is what it sounds like you may want to do. Guests have 24 hour access once they check-in and when they leave 'their' code is removed. I think the resort locks also allow you track which codes are being used. Excellent if you have a lot of staff and you want to be sure they are not coming in when they aren't supposed to be on premises.
The time protected feature is excellent for properties where management is not on the premises and they need to insure that guests do not return after their check-out and incoming guests do not arrive before they are supposed to. For rental properties, this is a great feature.
For a B&B with owners on the premises, it's kind of overkill..
Alibi Ike said:
The time protected feature is excellent for properties where management is not on the premises and they need to insure that guests do not return after their check-out and incoming guests do not arrive before they are supposed to...For a B&B with owners on the premises, it's kind of overkill.
All that you wrote is correct, Alibi Ike, but we do like the idea of individual codes being issued automatically by the web software and then expiring without us having to remember to do that expiration manually.
The other thing we need to find is a good door closer - one that goes very slowly for most of the arc of the door closing so that it's quiet on frame contact but then gives a final ooof when the door is in the frame to make sure the latch actually engages...

Alibi Ike said:
The time protected feature is excellent for properties where management is not on the premises and they need to insure that guests do not return after their check-out and incoming guests do not arrive before they are supposed to...For a B&B with owners on the premises, it's kind of overkill.
All that you wrote is correct, Alibi Ike, but we do like the idea of individual codes being issued automatically by the web software and then expiring without us having to remember to do that expiration manually.
The other thing we need to find is a good door closer - one that goes very slowly for most of the arc of the door closing so that it's quiet on frame contact but then gives a final ooof when the door is in the frame to make sure the latch actually engages...

We could use a good door closer, too. For the entry door as well as a guest room door that opens into the hallway. Not a single guest ever closes that room door behind them. Which causes all the other guests to wonder if it's open for a reason, so they look in. Of course they peek! And the room's occupants get all snarky about it. So close the door already!

Alibi Ike said:

We could use a good door closer, too. For the entry door as well as a guest room door that opens into the hallway. Not a single guest ever closes that room door behind them. Which causes all the other guests to wonder if it's open for a reason, so they look in. Of course they peek! And the room's occupants get all snarky about it. So close the door already!
Alibi Ike said:
Like this?
Lurch.jpg

Alibi Ike said:

Alibi Ike said:
Like this?
Lurch.jpg

EXACTLY like that! And I could get rid of the keypad, too!
You know, there's a B'way show on right now with the Addam's family! Bebe Neuwirth as Morticia, Nathan Lane as Gomez. (Oops, Nathan's out.)

Back