New Photo

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i agree with flowers on the mantle & maybe a couple of candles, lit of course for the photo op. try the draping of a chenille fringed throw for the bench along with maybe an open hardcover old book turned over, like someone is holding the place in the book while they went to get a glass of something. definately try to take the photo from a rather non traditional perspective. experiment with some different angles , you might t be surprised with how things end up. definately need a bedskirt of some type, for that finishing touch look. i, personally, like to double up contrasting bedskirts for a tiered effect.
just my personal opinion, by all means each individual needs to go with the flow they are comfortable with & what they feel is appropriate for their B&B..
mollysmom said:
i, personally, like to double up contrasting bedskirts for a tiered effect.
That sounds interesting! Do you hem the top bedskirt yourself, or try to buy one that's 'short'. What length of the 'under' skirt do you show? I have some fairly 'masculine' (pin striped) bedskirts that might look cute with a lacy cutout skirt on top.

i agree with flowers on the mantle & maybe a couple of candles, lit of course for the photo op. try the draping of a chenille fringed throw for the bench along with maybe an open hardcover old book turned over, like someone is holding the place in the book while they went to get a glass of something. definately try to take the photo from a rather non traditional perspective. experiment with some different angles , you might t be surprised with how things end up. definately need a bedskirt of some type, for that finishing touch look. i, personally, like to double up contrasting bedskirts for a tiered effect.
just my personal opinion, by all means each individual needs to go with the flow they are comfortable with & what they feel is appropriate for their B&B..
Yep, this was practice. I normally have a carnation on each mantle. This one, the vase is usually where the doll is sitting. With no guests there was not much sense in buying them. Have horse people tomorrow for one night and am deciding whether it is worth it to get one in the morning. All are thought provoking suggestions. Will see how far I can take it.

Yep, this was practice. I normally have a carnation on each mantle. This one, the vase is usually where the doll is sitting. With no guests there was not much sense in buying them. Have horse people tomorrow for one night and am deciding whether it is worth it to get one in the morning. All are thought provoking suggestions. Will see how far I can take it.
gillumhouse said:
Let me head this one off...a single carnation on the mantle is going to show up in a photo as clutter unless you take a picture only of the carnation. I had full bouquets when I took some of my old pictures and all you could see was a bunch of color at the far end of the photo. In a photo it's kind of like getting made up for TV, you need a whole lot more makeup than you would if you were just sitting around the house. It's a case of, if you're going to do it, over do it.
Get couple of cheapo bouquets at the grocery store and switch out the vases you put them into. If you get different flowers, you can turn it this way and that and get what looks like a completely different bouquet in each room.
The cheering section is waiting for the next attempt! (That's 'cheering' not 'jeering'. This will all come together...)

I am going to disagree with everyone here. SHOCK HORROR!
Unless K is removing the dolls permanently, why take them out of the photos? When they arrive there will be dolls in front of the fireplace. Anything ancillary like an alarm clock or stack of magazines - I agree will add clutter to a photo, but if this is part of her decor she should have it there.

Unless K is removing the dolls permanently, why take them out of the photos? When they arrive there will be dolls in front of the fireplace. Anything ancillary like an alarm clock or stack of magazines - I agree will add clutter to a photo, but if this is part of her decor she should have it there..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Unless K is removing the dolls permanently, why take them out of the photos? When they arrive there will be dolls in front of the fireplace. Anything ancillary like an alarm clock or stack of magazines - I agree will add clutter to a photo, but if this is part of her decor she should have it there.
I agree with you completely. Photos should show the guests what they can expect, not necessarily every little exact detail (don't have to see a waste basket in order to anticipate one will be in the room) but to accurately represent the character of the room. If that means dolls, then dolls in the photos. And it works in reverse too: don't put something in the photo that won't be there. If there are fresh flowers in the photo, there should be fresh flowers on some scale when the guest arrives.

Unless K is removing the dolls permanently, why take them out of the photos? When they arrive there will be dolls in front of the fireplace. Anything ancillary like an alarm clock or stack of magazines - I agree will add clutter to a photo, but if this is part of her decor she should have it there..
I think they should be removed permanently. No offense K:) I just don't think it adds to the ambiance of the room. Just looks cluttered to me..sorry:-(

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I agree with you completely. Photos should show the guests what they can expect, not necessarily every little exact detail (don't have to see a waste basket in order to anticipate one will be in the room) but to accurately represent the character of the room. If that means dolls, then dolls in the photos. And it works in reverse too: don't put something in the photo that won't be there. If there are fresh flowers in the photo, there should be fresh flowers on some scale when the guest arrives.
happyjacks said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
That can be tricky...most photos of rooms look pretty blah unless there are little added touches. (At least mine do.) I do not have throws in every room, but a chair or the edge of the bed looks better with one on there. I might put a laptop on the desk in one room to show that it is possible to do work there if you are a biz traveler. I have a couple of shots with a set up of wine & glasses, no one expects to find that there when they arrive.
Now, if the pix show a TV or a fireplace and THAT is not there, I'd have a problem. (Which is why I state my fireplaces are 'seasonal' and if someone is booking in August and asks if the fireplace in their room works, I tell them no.)

mollysmom said:
i, personally, like to double up contrasting bedskirts for a tiered effect.
That sounds interesting! Do you hem the top bedskirt yourself, or try to buy one that's 'short'. What length of the 'under' skirt do you show? I have some fairly 'masculine' (pin striped) bedskirts that might look cute with a lacy cutout skirt on top.
the one on top would need to have a drop that is a handful of inches less than the bottom, but you could, like you mentioned, hem (or pin) the top skirt.

I agree completely! I was suggesting that they be removed permanently (sorry GH) because they do add a dated, cluttered look to the room. Dolls and stuffed animals in the rooms are really not the thing to do now, regardless of what type of B&B you have. (Don't mean to offend here as I know you have a homey niche going for you.) If they are highly collectible dolls, a nice display cabinet somewhere is a different matter, especially if they're a regional "thang".
Besides, the cast iron coal burning fireplace cover is beautiful. Why obscure it??

I agree completely! I was suggesting that they be removed permanently (sorry GH) because they do add a dated, cluttered look to the room. Dolls and stuffed animals in the rooms are really not the thing to do now, regardless of what type of B&B you have. (Don't mean to offend here as I know you have a homey niche going for you.) If they are highly collectible dolls, a nice display cabinet somewhere is a different matter, especially if they're a regional "thang".
Besides, the cast iron coal burning fireplace cover is beautiful. Why obscure it??
I would agree with samster on this. A lot of my guests tell me that a lot of B & B's are quite scary with dolls and doilies and even wall paper. A lot of the younger crowd for sure doesn't like it. The room looks beautiful thouse and I would agree that the fireplace looks really nice.

I would agree with samster on this. A lot of my guests tell me that a lot of B & B's are quite scary with dolls and doilies and even wall paper. A lot of the younger crowd for sure doesn't like it. The room looks beautiful thouse and I would agree that the fireplace looks really nice.
There is some beautiful reproduction wallpaper out there that really goes with some of these historic homes. Some people pay a fortune to find some that fits the period of the house. I love what our one innkeeper on here is doing with paper...it looks really rich & elegant :)

You would not catch me dead having stuffed animals in the house. EEEeewww! The dolls are also something I would never have dreamed of having - most if them are in a bowfront in the dining room and in a bookcase there - my aunt left them here. The dolls that ARE special are the ones in a china cabinet that were made by my M-I-L. When you do not know anything about something, you do not just get rid of it because it could be that Antiques Roadshow piece of junk that is worth a gazillion dollars (a couple of them were appraised in this market meaning here in Podunk, and being worth $125 to $150 each). So the spill over is in the rooms - just a couple tucked where they are not in the way. And we all get different kinds of guests, most of my guests are facinated with them. I never played with dolls as a kid so I have a hard time understanding why my guests ooooo and ahhh over them.

There is some beautiful reproduction wallpaper out there that really goes with some of these historic homes. Some people pay a fortune to find some that fits the period of the house. I love what our one innkeeper on here is doing with paper...it looks really rich & elegant :)
I think wall paper is really nice when it is done right and can be great in historic homes. There is a B & B in my area that did it right! But then there are the ones with the 1980s floral patterns and that is what I am talking about more. The problem I have seen though is that the wall paper starts to peel at the seams. That is what I am dealing with right now. I am renovating a room and have stripped all the wall paper off the walls to the bare walls and I am just painting it now. The paper was up for about 10 years but at all the seams it was coming up.

I think wall paper is really nice when it is done right and can be great in historic homes. There is a B & B in my area that did it right! But then there are the ones with the 1980s floral patterns and that is what I am talking about more. The problem I have seen though is that the wall paper starts to peel at the seams. That is what I am dealing with right now. I am renovating a room and have stripped all the wall paper off the walls to the bare walls and I am just painting it now. The paper was up for about 10 years but at all the seams it was coming up.
oceans said:
Sorry to hijack - we are removing some wallpaper this weekend possibly - best method? I know there are new things out there to git r done easier than scraping the heck out of the walls?

oceans said:
Sorry to hijack - we are removing some wallpaper this weekend possibly - best method? I know there are new things out there to git r done easier than scraping the heck out of the walls?
We steamed our wallpaper off. We bought the machine because we have so much, but you can rent them as well. Worked like a charm. Use a wide-blade putty knife and get right under the paper as you steam. My paper had a vinyl coating so it took a little longer because I had to do some areas twice, once to get the vinyl, second to get the backing.
Don't steam too long as that may lift the 'paper' on the sheetrock itself, not a prob if the walls are plaster.
Other options are to use that scraping tool and fabric softener and water.
No matter what you do, you have to wash the walls when you're done.

oceans said:
Ah, that's me...floral 80's wallpaper. It's hideous. We've removed it from almost all the bathrooms, last one starts today. Next year it's the living room and hallway we strip. After that, maybe the rooms. But first my space, where the wallpaper was not chosen for it's 'historic' look, but rather was pulled from the $2 bin at the hardware store.

oceans said:
Score the wallpaper with one of those gizmos..I forget the name..I have one. Spray with solution of warm water and fabric softener. Let it soak a bit and then remove. Makes it sound easy...ha ha...nothing is ever easy...hopefully the previous folks prepped the walls correctly and it will come right off..but don't hold your breath:-(

oceans said:
Score the wallpaper with one of those gizmos..I forget the name..I have one. Spray with solution of warm water and fabric softener. Let it soak a bit and then remove. Makes it sound easy...ha ha...nothing is ever easy...hopefully the previous folks prepped the walls correctly and it will come right off..but don't hold your breath:-(
That's the one thing I'm thankful about with this paper...they prepped the walls properly. For the most part, it comes right off. What doesn't come off is where someone tried to glue the ends down with something like SuperGlue. THAT had to be sanded off. Luckily, not to many places...

oceans said:
We had wallpaper over wallpaper, over painted wallpaper, over wallpaper - about 8 layers in all over plaster walls. Even on the ceilings.

Back