New privacy emails from booking

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was never told that. When did that start?.
I think about out three weeks ago. I got one confirmation with a personal email address, and then the next day it was a 'modified' reservation with only the email being different.
I got an email that notified me, which was in my I box, which you don't know about unless you actually log into it. Their reasoning was that it was to protect the 'customer's privacyand seurity', which doesn't really make sense because they also said I could still send them messages via their Extranet service. They still give me the phone number and address though. Don't know if I should actually call the customer. You'd think if there were any concerns with their reservation they would have contacted me directly and not just added a notation to their Booking reservation.
2cat_lady said:
I think about out three weeks ago. I got one confirmation with a personal email address, and then the next day it was a 'modified' reservation with only the email being different.
I got an email that notified me, which was in my I box, which you don't know about unless you actually log into it. Their reasoning was that it was to protect the 'customer's privacyand seurity', which doesn't really make sense because they also said I could still send them messages via their Extranet service. They still give me the phone number and address though. Don't know if I should actually call the customer. You'd think if there were any concerns with their reservation they would have contacted me directly and not just added a notation to their Booking reservation.
Just checked my inbox (in their system) and there is no message regarding this change to their system. I checked all my future bookings and all have their own email addresses still being shown on their site as I have in my system
Not sure what is going on but I will keep a close eye out for change.
I got mine March 5th CH and here it is:
Dear partner,
As you may already be aware, scammers are increasingly trying to find ways to gain access to online platforms like Booking.com. They try to use email addresses, as well as links, attachments and images in emails, to illegally gain access to the private information of our customers and partners.
Because we are committed to protecting you and our mutual guests from these kinds of email-based attacks, we are providing you with two features to create an even more secure and convenient method for you to communicate with your Booking.com guests.
Anonymous email addresses
As of this week, guest email addresses will be made anonymous in order to provide an extra level of security. Your email address will also be protected in the same way. You can continue to send and receive emails to guests as you normally would. The difference is that your identity, as well as that of your guests, will be protected. In addition, you will not be able to send links, images, attachments, or anything of this nature. This ensures that you and our mutual guests are less susceptible to online scammers.
We already send pre-arrival emails to guests 5 days prior to check-in to provide helpful information for their stay, including maps to the front door of your property. This reduces the need for you to send extra emails with links, attachments, maps or images. We’re also exploring additional options to make it even easier for you to communicate with guests in the most secure way possible.
Direct communication with guests via your Extranet
Your Extranet is the most secure environment for you to communicate directly with guests. We’ve added visible alerts on your homepage, and have enabled you to quickly respond and/or proactively send messages to guests anywhere their booking information shows up. All you have to do is select the individual reservation, and respond or send your message. A click of a button is all it takes!
Our goal with these features is to enable easy and convenient communication, while providing an enhanced level of protection for you and our mutual guests.
If you have any questions or concerns, please respond to this message and a member of our team will get back to you.
Kind regards,
The Booking.com Team
And not only this, but the way they've disguised the email address makes it look very suspicious, like those stupid Apple emails I get from scammers trying to get me to log into their fraudulent sites.
I never knew they sent a pre arrival email. I do the same. And yet guests who want to cancel tell me they have no idea how to contact booking.
Darn tooting the guest gets an email from me with the policies in it.
And I never got this email from them.
I never received it either.
They're using the false flag of email spammers to inject themselves in the communications loop between you and the guest they procured for you. I ALWAYS assume when I'm using AirBnB, Booking's or other OTA's interfaces that they are scanning the content. Air even has this down to a science, where their robots automatically delete any email, web address or phone number to force you to continue the transaction through them.
I don't like it, but I accept that it's their sandbox and they can set the rules. I can then either take my toys or go home, or continue to play their way. As I said earlier, it's a tool to get NEW customers. If they keep using OTAs after their first stay, then I haven't done my job.
Copperhead said:
...enabling them to scan the emails to stop those trying to sway the guest to cancel and book direct.
Of course! When we try to get guests to bypass them, it's taking money out of their pockets. They'll certainly want to stop that, and I'm sure the terms we agreed to when we signed up give them the right to stop it.
PhineasSwann said:
I ALWAYS assume when I'm using AirBnB, Booking's or other OTA's interfaces that they are scanning the content. Air even has this down to a science, where their robots automatically delete any email, web address or phone number to force you to continue the transaction through them.
Me too. I always assume they, or a "bot", will be reading the e-mails they pass between me and my guest. Just like Phineas said, "I don't like it, but I accept that it's their sandbox and they can set the rules. I can then either take my toys and go home, or continue to play their way."
I'm going to stop trying to sneak, into the e-mails, ways for the guest to go directly to my booking page or website. I don't want to risk Booking or Air deleting my message entirely.
And you know what's really silly?
They say they do this to stop links, attachments, etc. but when I had DH make a reservation using his personal email address, they forwarded my confirmation email ( the one that ResKey automatically sends) right after their confirmation, and my email address is right there as a link because that's how I set up my template
And Morticia, in the confirmation email that Booking sends out, Booking includes a cancellation button at the end of their acknowledgement that all they to do is click. It's that easy. So no, the guest does not have the excuse that they didn't know how to cancel. That is, if they actually get the email or it ends up in their spam or junk box.
Okay, so here's where I am right now.
No one called me Monday. Tuesday. I even went on their Facebook page and posted. Basically got gobbledeegoop. They said I could communicate with the guest directly using their Extranet service. What part don't they understand?
I called Wednesday and spoke to a 'customer service' rep. Explained, again, my problem and that I wanted to opt out of their anonymous email service. She went off and talked to a supervisor after I said that I knew of other innkeepers and B&B owners that hadn't received the email and were still getting personal emails. She came back and said that this was now their police. Would I please tell her who the other innkeepers were and she'd look at their accounts. Yeah, right. So she said she would, again, submit my concerns to another supervisor and they'd get back to me.
I got another email in my inbox from their Extranet service, which you have to manually check because they won't inbox you. And basically they said I could communicate with my guest directly, no problem. Just submit the email and they would forward it using the alias email. I feel like a dog chasing its tail.
So, I used the old fashioned method of using the phone and called the one guest who had mobility issues. I'm just really concerned about them getting up my stairs since they stated that they wanted very few or no stairs. I left a message two days ago, and I still haven't heard back.
So, that's one very detailed message by email and one very detailed message on their voicemail. They're coming in one month and I don't want them to wait until the last minute to change their minds and then accuse me of leaving them in a lurch because now they have to find another B&B. Booking.com is no help and even the customer doesn't seem to see the dilemma.
What would YOU do?
By the way, I took someone's advice on this thread and have included a paragraph asking the guest to email me directly with their contact information if they used Booking.com's OTA service. And I've gotten one reservation since then and the guest responded back! No problem, personal email, two phone numbers, personal information, they're looking forward to their visit, first time to Newfoundland, etc. So it pays to listen to sage, experienced wisdom on this forum
thumbs_up.gif

2cat_lady said:
Just checked my inbox (in their system) and there is no message regarding this change to their system. I checked all my future bookings and all have their own email addresses still being shown on their site as I have in my system
Dear partner,
As you may already be aware, scammers are increasingly trying to find ways to gain access to online platforms like Booking.com. They try to use email addresses, as well as links, attachments and images in emails, to illegally gain access to the private information of our customers and partners.
Because we are committed to protecting you and our mutual guests from these kinds of email-based attacks, we are providing you with two features to create an even more secure and convenient method for you to communicate with your Booking.com guests.
As of this week, guest email addresses will be made anonymous in order to provide an extra level of security. Your email address will also be protected in the same way. You can continue to send and receive emails to guests as you normally would. The difference is that your identity, as well as that of your guests, will be protected. In addition, you will not be able to send links, images, attachments, or anything of this nature. This ensures that you and our mutual guests are less susceptible to online scammers.
We already send pre-arrival emails to guests 5 days prior to check-in to provide helpful information for their stay, including maps to the front door of your property. This reduces the need for you to send extra emails with links, attachments, maps or images. We’re also exploring additional options to make it even easier for you to communicate with guests in the most secure way possible.
Your Extranet is the most secure environment for you to communicate directly with guests. We’ve added visible alerts on your homepage, and have enabled you to quickly respond and/or proactively send messages to guests anywhere their booking information shows up. All you have to do is select the individual reservation, and respond or send your message. A click of a button is all it takes!
Our goal with these features is to enable easy and convenient communication, while providing an enhanced level of protection for you and our mutual guests.
If you have any questions or concerns, please respond to this message and a member of our team will get back to you.
Kind regards,
The Booking.com Team
And not only this, but the way they've disguised the email address makes it look very suspicious, like those stupid Apple emails I get from scammers trying to get me to log into their fraudulent sites.
I never knew they sent a pre arrival email. I do the same. And yet guests who want to cancel tell me they have no idea how to contact booking.
They're using the false flag of email spammers to inject themselves in the communications loop between you and the guest they procured for you. I ALWAYS assume when I'm using AirBnB, Booking's or other OTA's interfaces that they are scanning the content. Air even has this down to a science, where their robots automatically delete any email, web address or phone number to force you to continue the transaction through them.
I don't like it, but I accept that it's their sandbox and they can set the rules. I can then either take my toys or go home, or continue to play their way. As I said earlier, it's a tool to get NEW customers. If they keep using OTAs after their first stay, then I haven't done my job.
Copperhead said:
...enabling them to scan the emails to stop those trying to sway the guest to cancel and book direct.
Of course! When we try to get guests to bypass them, it's taking money out of their pockets. They'll certainly want to stop that, and I'm sure the terms we agreed to when we signed up give them the right to stop it.
PhineasSwann said:
I ALWAYS assume when I'm using AirBnB, Booking's or other OTA's interfaces that they are scanning the content. Air even has this down to a science, where their robots automatically delete any email, web address or phone number to force you to continue the transaction through them.
Me too. I always assume they, or a "bot", will be reading the e-mails they pass between me and my guest. Just like Phineas said, "I don't like it, but I accept that it's their sandbox and they can set the rules. I can then either take my toys and go home, or continue to play their way."
I'm going to stop trying to sneak, into the e-mails, ways for the guest to go directly to my booking page or website. I don't want to risk Booking or Air deleting my message entirely.
They say they do this to stop links, attachments, etc. but when I had DH make a reservation using his personal email address, they forwarded my confirmation email ( the one that ResKey automatically sends) right after their confirmation, and my email address is right there as a link because that's how I set up my template
And Morticia, in the confirmation email that Booking sends out, Booking includes a cancellation button at the end of their acknowledgement that all they to do is click. It's that easy. So no, the guest does not have the excuse that they didn't know how to cancel. That is, if they actually get the email or it ends up in their spam or junk box.
No one called me Monday. Tuesday. I even went on their Facebook page and posted. Basically got gobbledeegoop. They said I could communicate with the guest directly using their Extranet service. What part don't they understand?
I called Wednesday and spoke to a 'customer service' rep. Explained, again, my problem and that I wanted to opt out of their anonymous email service. She went off and talked to a supervisor after I said that I knew of other innkeepers and B&B owners that hadn't received the email and were still getting personal emails. She came back and said that this was now their police. Would I please tell her who the other innkeepers were and she'd look at their accounts. Yeah, right. So she said she would, again, submit my concerns to another supervisor and they'd get back to me.
I got another email in my inbox from their Extranet service, which you have to manually check because they won't inbox you. And basically they said I could communicate with my guest directly, no problem. Just submit the email and they would forward it using the alias email. I feel like a dog chasing its tail.
So, I used the old fashioned method of using the phone and called the one guest who had mobility issues. I'm just really concerned about them getting up my stairs since they stated that they wanted very few or no stairs. I left a message two days ago, and I still haven't heard back.
So, that's one very detailed message by email and one very detailed message on their voicemail. They're coming in one month and I don't want them to wait until the last minute to change their minds and then accuse me of leaving them in a lurch because now they have to find another B&B. Booking.com is no help and even the customer doesn't seem to see the dilemma.
What would YOU do?
By the way, I took someone's advice on this thread and have included a paragraph asking the guest to email me directly with their contact information if they used Booking.com's OTA service. And I've gotten one reservation since then and the guest responded back! No problem, personal email, two phone numbers, personal information, they're looking forward to their visit, first time to Newfoundland, etc. So it pays to listen to sage, experienced wisdom on this forum
thumbs_up.gif

I had a booking right before we left. I forgot to block booking! Arggggh.
I called the guest directly. If I get the same problem with no email I will call. Unless it's overseas. Then I'll email and explain I need their direct info because booking does not give it to me.
I told the guest who booked that I did not have anything but his phone number. Luckily I had that!

2cat_lady said:
Dear partner,
Kind regards,
The Booking.com Team
Copperhead said:
PhineasSwann said:
What would YOU do?
thumbs_up.gif

I called the guest directly. If I get the same problem with no email I will call. Unless it's overseas. Then I'll email and explain I need their direct info because booking does not give it to me.
I told the guest who booked that I did not have anything but his phone number. Luckily I had that!
Eureka! The guest called me back, after two voice mails where I told them I was concerned that we might not be a good 'fit' for them.
She said she had looked for the emails that I talked about in the voicemail and located them in her spam box. Great. Thanks Booking. Unfortunately, her brother has now been scheduled for treatment for cancer but she said we are on his bucket list and they're hoping to come in the fall. Could she just contact me directly and not go through booking. since we were having problems with our emails. Of course, I said! So, she gave me her direct email address along with another contact number and she wants me to communicate with her directly so that she can book direct.
That's a two-week reservation that Booking. isn't going to want to lose. Good for me!

2cat_lady said:
Dear partner,
Kind regards,
The Booking.com Team
Copperhead said:
PhineasSwann said:
What would YOU do?
thumbs_up.gif

Eureka! The guest called me back, after two voice mails where I told them I was concerned that we might not be a good 'fit' for them.
She said she had looked for the emails that I talked about in the voicemail and located them in her spam box. Great. Thanks Booking. Unfortunately, her brother has now been scheduled for treatment for cancer but she said we are on his bucket list and they're hoping to come in the fall. Could she just contact me directly and not go through booking. since we were having problems with our emails. Of course, I said! So, she gave me her direct email address along with another contact number and she wants me to communicate with her directly so that she can book direct.
That's a two-week reservation that Booking. isn't going to want to lose. Good for me!
YES!!!!!

2cat_lady said:
Dear partner,
Kind regards,
The Booking.com Team
Copperhead said:
PhineasSwann said:
What would YOU do?
thumbs_up.gif

2cat_lady said:
thumbs_up.gif
It pays to listen to this crowd! They have been there, done that, etc.

All those who received that email should fight against it. This is crazy. It is one more step in trying to rip you off your business. If you follow, all conversations will be owned by Booking, lost when you close the contract and, at least in France, it is totally against their own contract.
Keep control of your business!

Thanks to those new encrypted emails, supposedly for security purposes, Booking have granted themselves the right to eavesdrop on our conversations with our customers. And I confirm they make use of this. They never informed us of this. Unacceptable!

And now, when you log onto your home page,your guests' emails are displayed for 'your convenience' . In my ResKey template for confirmation email, I ask guests to confirm the reservation and I get about 50% giving me their direct email address. I've gotten extra nights and upgrades this way. I guess this is what Booking.com is trying to avoid.

And now, when you log onto your home page,your guests' emails are displayed for 'your convenience' . In my ResKey template for confirmation email, I ask guests to confirm the reservation and I get about 50% giving me their direct email address. I've gotten extra nights and upgrades this way. I guess this is what Booking.com is trying to avoid..
I've been sending thank you emails highlighting they can sign up for the newsletter. That's helped a bit, too.

The last one I had, I requested their direct email address since it was not provided by Boo king. It worked, but they were shocked that it was not passed on.

Thanks to those new encrypted emails, supposedly for security purposes, Booking have granted themselves the right to eavesdrop on our conversations with our customers. And I confirm they make use of this. They never informed us of this. Unacceptable!.
I agree.
Besides I never liked the bully that went around breaking people sand castles that they spent so much time bulding the best castle they could build.
So playing in the sand box of book can be fair if all play together . But book ing does not play fair so what shall we do about it ?
So do we stand up tall or slink away letting the bullies win? After all sand is only a few grains but a castle is one heck of a lot more!

Thanks to those new encrypted emails, supposedly for security purposes, Booking have granted themselves the right to eavesdrop on our conversations with our customers. And I confirm they make use of this. They never informed us of this. Unacceptable!.
I agree.
Besides I never liked the bully that went around breaking people sand castles that they spent so much time bulding the best castle they could build.
So playing in the sand box of book can be fair if all play together . But book ing does not play fair so what shall we do about it ?
So do we stand up tall or slink away letting the bullies win? After all sand is only a few grains but a castle is one heck of a lot more!
booking has over 600,000 hotels. And they have a reputation here for not being particularly helpful by phone. And they made a policy decision of the type unlikely to be reversed.
I doubt several dozen unified B&B owners would even rise to the level of gnat on the windshield to them.
About the only thing that might catch their attention is targeted negative PR from significant sources. But not sure if organizations like PAII or others are up to the task. Perhaps motel, hotel and other representative organizations might be useful, as they are impacted by the same thing. I saw complaints elsewhere about this via a search...

I agree.
Some innkeepers in the UK have been suggesting closing reservations with them for one day - everyone the same day of course - to get their attention. The theory being there would be enough revenue lost by b.com on one day to cause at least an eye blink.

Thanks for letting us know 2-cat.
I sure wish I had known this before I took their survey this past week!!!
Funny, Exp edia et al has finally started providing us with email & phone numbers for quests, before all we got were names and booking seems to be going in reverse.
Sharpen those claws and be ready to make some fur fly. Please share with us what happens..
Hello Copperhead,
W hat is it like being in bed with them? I am thinking it maybe a better way to go. Just not heard to much about them ? Ex

Funny, Exp edia et al has finally started providing us with email & phone numbers for quests, before all we got were names and booking seems to be going in reverse.
Sharpen those claws and be ready to make some fur fly. Please share with us what happens..
Hello Copperhead,
W hat is it like being in bed with them? I am thinking it maybe a better way to go. Just not heard to much about them ? Ex
Flower said:
What is it like being in bed with them?
They always want to be on top.
devil_smile.gif

Hello Copperhead,
Flower said:
devil_smile.gif

PhineasSwann said:
Flower said:
devil_smile.gif
thumbs_up.gif

Hello Copperhead,
Flower said:
devil_smile.gif

PhineasSwann said:
Flower said:
devil_smile.gif
thumbs_up.gif
:)
thumbs_up.gif

Hello Copperhead,
Flower said:
devil_smile.gif

PhineasSwann said:
Flower said:
devil_smile.gif
Quick! And also correct. We could well - now I am
embaressed_smile.gif

Hello Copperhead,
Flower said:
Hello Copperhead,
I have been with OTA's etc. for many years. I learned long ago that I can not beat them. They are far better, and have more money to advertise so if I am not getting the business I need using my own tools I may as well join them.
At 15% commission that is sometimes less than many other ways of advertising I have done and bking.com has been a lot easier to work with than many others. Luckily I have always had a rep that has been helpful. I know this has not been the case for others here on this forum or on other forums I am on.
That is until these recent changes. The new privacy email policy is one. I find it very odd that a month or so after Ex pe dia changed their policy and is now providing both email & phone contact info, that now bking.com finds itself doing the reverse.
After meeting with my rep, she advised that I should send feedback using their Feedback tab. She said it seemed to go to the proper department. She also stated that hotels are also having a fit over this new policy. They need proper email addie to enter into their systems. The new bking style email does not meet the usual hotel standards.
So I have been trying to send feedback - but the tab system is not working. I use the 'contact us' page to send my feedback but they kept saying they could not get my complaint to the correct department and I should use the feedback tab. Sent requests to have the feedback tab fixed... but that has been a no go too. My rep has also submitted requests.... her hands are tied at this point.

Another new issue (Mort found) is that bking affiliates are required to create their own descriptions of our properties when displaying our inventory. Unfortunately bking does not try to make sure the affiliate is using correct information on each property. Both Mort and I found a certain affiliate was using incorrect data (mine states all beds are king size, when they are queen as one example).
My rep submitted the affiliate to her boss asking for assistance in getting our information removed from this affiliate or have it corrected. Her boss has informed us that they (bking) has no control over what the affiliate places on their sites about our properties. In other words every property must be on the look out for all affiliates and make the affiliate correct the data shown. So far that has not worked out well with affiliate mentioned.
With all these items pressing heavy on my mind, If things do not make a change, I may need to make a change! I was thinking that TA's Trip Con nect may be the answer, and while it is helping, it appears that most bking.com reservations are not coming through TA but from other sources.

Hello Copperhead,
Flower said:
Hello Copperhead,
I have been with OTA's etc. for many years. I learned long ago that I can not beat them. They are far better, and have more money to advertise so if I am not getting the business I need using my own tools I may as well join them.
At 15% commission that is sometimes less than many other ways of advertising I have done and bking.com has been a lot easier to work with than many others. Luckily I have always had a rep that has been helpful. I know this has not been the case for others here on this forum or on other forums I am on.
That is until these recent changes. The new privacy email policy is one. I find it very odd that a month or so after Ex pe dia changed their policy and is now providing both email & phone contact info, that now bking.com finds itself doing the reverse.
After meeting with my rep, she advised that I should send feedback using their Feedback tab. She said it seemed to go to the proper department. She also stated that hotels are also having a fit over this new policy. They need proper email addie to enter into their systems. The new bking style email does not meet the usual hotel standards.
So I have been trying to send feedback - but the tab system is not working. I use the 'contact us' page to send my feedback but they kept saying they could not get my complaint to the correct department and I should use the feedback tab. Sent requests to have the feedback tab fixed... but that has been a no go too. My rep has also submitted requests.... her hands are tied at this point.

Another new issue (Mort found) is that bking affiliates are required to create their own descriptions of our properties when displaying our inventory. Unfortunately bking does not try to make sure the affiliate is using correct information on each property. Both Mort and I found a certain affiliate was using incorrect data (mine states all beds are king size, when they are queen as one example).
My rep submitted the affiliate to her boss asking for assistance in getting our information removed from this affiliate or have it corrected. Her boss has informed us that they (bking) has no control over what the affiliate places on their sites about our properties. In other words every property must be on the look out for all affiliates and make the affiliate correct the data shown. So far that has not worked out well with affiliate mentioned.
With all these items pressing heavy on my mind, If things do not make a change, I may need to make a change! I was thinking that TA's Trip Con nect may be the answer, and while it is helping, it appears that most bking.com reservations are not coming through TA but from other sources.
I work in the IT industry. It is in constant flux, based on competition, innovation, regulations, cost cutting, acquisitions, and a lot of other stuff. There is nothing you can really hang your hat on. Just as soon as you find something you like, it suddenly changes. So some monitoring appears and occasional rethinking is in order, as you say...
The theory seems to be at b . com, is this is to eliminate scams. With the tens of millions of Home Depot, Target and other hacks, it seems reasonable. OTOH, it does look like an excuse to control valuable guest contact data.
FWIW, one website claims the best way to reach b . com is at [email protected] or 888-850-3958. Not sure if that is for everyone, guests, or also owners. There is also an arrangement from Get Human . com and LucyPhone to have B . com call you - just enter your number.

Back