Quantcast

New Year's Day Brunch

INNspiring.com | Innkeeper Forum & Innkeeping Resources

Help Support INNspiring.com | Innkeeper Forum & Innkeeping Resources:

JBloggs

Reaction score
We are having a New Year's Day Brunch - just got a couple bookings for this package and now need to put my thinking cap on for the brunch.
What would you serve for this brunch?
(Note - I have one non-pork eater here of the four guests).

gillumhouse

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buffet or plated?
My first thought for a New Years brunch would start with shrimp cocktail or some form of shrimp. Red beans & rice is traditional in the south I am told.

Innkeep

Reaction score
Buffet or plated?
My first thought for a New Years brunch would start with shrimp cocktail or some form of shrimp. Red beans & rice is traditional in the south I am told..
During my sojurn in the south, the traditional new years meal meal was black eyed peas, cheese grits, country ham with red eye gravy, biscuits and scrambled eggs. I wasn't fond of country ham. For the non pork eater, any shoe leather would probably do as a substitute for the country ham.

muirford

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
On the sideboard buffet style: mini-bagels, cream cheese, smoked salmon (looks lux and you don't need much), individual yogurts, muffins or sweet bread, granola/cereal, fruit compote or sometimes a trifle in a footed bowl.
Omelets (simple fillings - cheese, spinach, salsa) to order with toast and bacon for anyone who wants. Orange juice and coffee poured at table. You could do turkey bacon for everyone, or just for the no-pork person.
In PA Dutch country where I grew up sauerkraut was the tradition for New Year's. But I wouldn't serve it for breakfast. I love cheese grits and they might be a nice savory item for the buffet, but we have found that lots of people like some plain carbs on New Year's Day - soaks up all the acid in their tummies.

Morticia

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't remember if you responded to my New Year's weekend menu of eggs benny on smoked salmon with asparagus.
Also don' tknow if you're planning a buffet brunch or plated.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Sorry did you ask this before? There are so many threads on here in one eye and out the other.

Asparagus sounds kinda familiar.
I have not decided on buffet, family style or plated yet. So far only two couples so I will wait one more day. As you know, this is the first time I have been open on NY's Eve by putting together a two night package I am hoping to keep out any drunkards who want to strip the wallpaper on the bathroom walls...sheesh I can still remember that story from like 6 years ago, but can't remember whose "experience" it was.
I compiled a list and will decide what goes out there shortly. I was at the grocery store and the only precooked shrimp they had were in the shell/skin and I won't serve those, so will see on Thursday what they have closer to NY's - they are out of stock on so much plus we had the snow storm here that left the shelves empty.
I want to do savory and sweet. Some of the things I might make are:
  • Chocolate dipped strawberries
  • Indiv Shrimp Cocktails
  • Either eggs bennie on finger sized croissants (one with no ham) or those Ham & Egg Tarts I posted on forum
  • Scrambled Eggs with cheese - avocado wedges around plate (side salsa)
  • Greek Salad - cucumber, tomato, olive, feta in a raspberry vinaigrette
  • Rosemary Potatoes
  • Fruit platter
  • Sausage links
  • Yoghurts or parfaits
  • Bagels
  • Grilled Asparagus
  • Mimosas (alcohol free unless they byo)

1linda

Reaction score
BnBFinder has a great recipe section. One called Brunch Recipes. May be some great recipes there.

egoodell

Reaction score
Sorry did you ask this before? There are so many threads on here in one eye and out the other.

I have not decided on buffet, family style or plated yet. So far only two couples so I will wait one more day. As you know, this is the first time I have been open on NY's Eve by putting together a two night package I am hoping to keep out any drunkards who want to strip the wallpaper on the bathroom walls...sheesh I can still remember that story from like 6 years ago, but can't remember whose "experience" it was.
I compiled a list and will decide what goes out there shortly. I was at the grocery store and the only precooked shrimp they had were in the shell/skin and I won't serve those, so will see on Thursday what they have closer to NY's - they are out of stock on so much plus we had the snow storm here that left the shelves empty.
  • Indiv Shrimp Cocktails
  • Either eggs bennie on finger sized croissants (one with no ham) or those Ham & Egg Tarts I posted on forum
  • Rosemary Potatoes
  • Fruit platter
  • Sausage links
  • Yoghurts or parfaits
  • Bagels
  • Grilled Asparagus
Joey Bloggs said:

• Indiv Shrimp Cocktails
  • Rosemary Potatoes
  • Fruit platter
  • Sausage links
  • Yoghurts or parfaits
  • Bagels
  • Grilled Asparagus
Yum O! I would be happy with half of that! Sounds decadent!
RIki

seashanty

Staff member
Reaction score
yummmm ... sorry, that's not a suggestion. but ... sounds so good!