Newbie from South Africa, ALL advice welcome :)

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beachvacsa

Reaction score
I am so very grateful to have found this site after much web browsing, exactly what I was looking for. My fiance and I will be starting a bed and breakfast within the next four weeks, excited, nervous, a little sick too
confused_smile.gif

If you could give me one bit of advice what would it be??? Thanks so much for sharing your experience.... Gail.
The part I am the most nervous about is the breakfasts.....not the greatest cook. We will be offering a full English Breakfast which is popular in South Africa (yes) :)

I'll assume all your ducks are in a row and everything about the B&B is all in order. In that case, the words of advice are from kindergarten:
Be yourself.
Be kind and gracious.
Treat guests the way you want to be treated when you travel.
Good luck!
:welcome:

Welcome and we wish you all the best success in a table overflowing with good food and conversation!

All the advice you want if you are sending me biltong and inviting me for a braii.

Best wishes for this exciting time. Don't fret the breakfast, you'll do great and the guests will understand minor imperfections.
My best advice is to be yourself, keep to what your vision is and then to find guests that share your vision. You can not be everything to everybody.
I'm looking forward to your stories!

How exciting-best wishes! Let's see one piece of advice--you know the saying happy wife, happy life. I think the same is true for innkeeping - happy innkeeper, good business. Take some time out of your day for you guys so it's not all business.

Love the full English breakfast (minus the beans).
You'll be fine - it's probably true there as well that folks just don't cook a hot breakfast at home anymore, so they will love what you offer!
Welcome!

I also add my welcome. We ALL were nervous with our first guests - will they like us, will the room be OK, will they like breakfast, on and on. Remember the Popeye saying (Do you know about Popeye in SA?) - "I yam what I yam and that is all that I yam". Relax and be YOU because a relaxed you will make guests relax. You will find your niche of those who want you and those YOU want - and they are not always the same people.
Best to you.

Do not rush through your breakfasts. Take your time. Most B&B guests expect a leisurely meal. I still need to work on that.

welcome! how wonderful.
welcome.gif

when i first started innkeeping i was nervous about the breakfasts, too. first time was just a party of four and i worried. but it was fine. in fact, better than fine. they say practice makes perfect and by the end of a month i was making breakfasts for 16, sometimes 21, and all i needed was more hands.
my breakfast were simple, not gourmet, but they were big. when i just had a few guests i went a little fancier. but i developed certain specialties. it was always cook's choice - meaning, i made one hot breakfast each day that all could have or they could help themselves to granola and toast and such.
enormous belgian waffles with whipped cream that i whipped up myself and just added a bit of confectioners sugar to, fruit on the side of the plate (strawberries or blueberries) and sausage was my most popular offering. 'country breakfast' which was eggs either scrambled or fried, bacon, bisquits and gravy. french toast with bacon, again with fruit on the side. blueberry pancakes with bacon or sausage. quiche (giant slices) with home made muffins. i rotated these breakfasts and would make one or the other if someone asked. i once had a man stay with me two weeks who really wanted a waffle every day. every single day.
i used to set the tables the afternoon before so i was ready in the morning.
serve hot things HOT - warm the plates if you can.
serve cold things COLD - chill those dishes if you can.
make good, fresh coffee; have hot water and a supply of teas available.
offer real maple syrup and the popular artificial kind for your area (if syrup is something you serve - i really don't know your area)
offer real butter.
your guests will love you.

A warm welcome from me as well.
My beginners advice would be to not oversell what you are offering. Make sure that your website is honest and sincere
good luck and keep us posted on how things go

Welcome! Try to perfect a few really good, basic breakfast recipes in the beginning so you feel confident. Once you get the hang of it, it's easy to branch out and try new things. Always maintain a sense of humor!
regular_smile.gif

welcome!
let's go with a two part answer...
First... Make sure (really make sure (really) ) that you schedule the correct amount of down time you will need to do absolutely nothing.
Second... start with what you know and let your guests teach you what works for breakfast. Our breakfasts from 10 years ago barely resemble what we do now.

Welcome!!! Glad you are here! This is a great place to be to enjoy life as an innkeeper, learn new things, and scream! (when you can't at guests)
Always smile!
My favorite breakfast to eat is pancakes, fried eggs, and bacon. Just an idea to start on what to serve your first guest.

remember to go to bed early! a sleep deprived innkeeper is a cranky one!
Keep lists - because when you start everything will be in a whirlwind and if you don't write it down right away you will forget.

Welcome! These people are amazing. We opened in August of last year and they have all been so helpful!

Back