Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh no you misunderstood, my apologies for not being clear. I do cook breakfast, only me but I had a couple from Italy who started cooking in the evenings and being in my kitchen and was storing groceries in the fridge etc. How do I deal with something like this without being rude? Thanks.
(1) can you lock that door - if so do - or get a lock on - preferably a combination lock so its not another key
(2) In the UK its food hygine I have to be able to track anything and everything that comes through my kitchen/fridge ie if there was a problem I have to be able to say which shop it came from where it was stored.
- answer - to guest (1) food hygine (2) insurance (3) local regulations - none of this has to be true but do practice saying it so it sounds to them like its a standard thing ie "I'm terribly sorry but for insurance reasons we can't allow you to cook I am sure you are very responsible but a lot of people arn't" and so on
Trouble is because you are a B&B and because of the online travel agencies and home away etc - its is a very blurred area for the customer what they have booked and are getting (also they don't read)
Jcam,
Thank you for your feedback. Kitchen is just an open area and no lock on the door. Lol Jacam that’s exactly what I said and they developed an attitude soon after and said they would be finding somewhere else to stay. :(

Oh no you misunderstood, my apologies for not being clear. I do cook breakfast, only me but I had a couple from Italy who started cooking in the evenings and being in my kitchen and was storing groceries in the fridge etc. How do I deal with something like this without being rude? Thanks.
(1) can you lock that door - if so do - or get a lock on - preferably a combination lock so its not another key
(2) In the UK its food hygine I have to be able to track anything and everything that comes through my kitchen/fridge ie if there was a problem I have to be able to say which shop it came from where it was stored.
- answer - to guest (1) food hygine (2) insurance (3) local regulations - none of this has to be true but do practice saying it so it sounds to them like its a standard thing ie "I'm terribly sorry but for insurance reasons we can't allow you to cook I am sure you are very responsible but a lot of people arn't" and so on
Trouble is because you are a B&B and because of the online travel agencies and home away etc - its is a very blurred area for the customer what they have booked and are getting (also they don't read)
Jcam,
Thank you for your feedback. Kitchen is just an open area and no lock on the door. Lol Jacam that’s exactly what I said and they developed an attitude soon after and said they would be finding somewhere else to stay. :(
insurance shminsurance. It's my kitchen for heaven's sake! Do you let strangers cook in your kitchen?????

Hello everyone,
Two things... what is your check in procedure when your guests arrive? I don’t have an official reception area. Also have a rules book I give everyone when they arrive. It says to turn off fans, lights and ac’s when leaving room and/or house. I have these guests that turn on all the lights in the room. Two side tables lamps and overhead light every night and leave on when they leave to go dinner, last night they were gone about 5 hours. When they go out on deck same thing, all fans and lights even though this is our winter and it’s very cool in the evenings. I have a hamper for them to put their clothes in yet they drop their clothes and undergarments on the floor (went in to clean room and didn’t know what to do) leave them, pick them up :( how should I handle?

Hello everyone,
Two things... what is your check in procedure when your guests arrive? I don’t have an official reception area. Also have a rules book I give everyone when they arrive. It says to turn off fans, lights and ac’s when leaving room and/or house. I have these guests that turn on all the lights in the room. Two side tables lamps and overhead light every night and leave on when they leave to go dinner, last night they were gone about 5 hours. When they go out on deck same thing, all fans and lights even though this is our winter and it’s very cool in the evenings. I have a hamper for them to put their clothes in yet they drop their clothes and undergarments on the floor (went in to clean room and didn’t know what to do) leave them, pick them up :( how should I handle?.
When guests arrive, I try to greet them on the porch and ask if they need help with their luggage (gratefully, most say no). I then take them up to their room showing them where the thermostat is for their heating or pointing out where the remote is for the A/C, pointing out the basket of fruit & snacks on the dresser, location of TV remote, and the bathroom, where the light switches are. I also show the robes in the closet and hairdryer. Tell them where the bottles of water are found and that the books and magazines are there to be "stolen" - no limit on what they take. I ask them to let me know, before they turn in, what time they want breakfast in the morning. Once any questions have been answered, I leave. I am downstairs if they need anything. The only sign in the house is on the mantle in the best room and only to explain that any money in the gumball machine goes to the Lord's Pantry Food Bank.
I am sorry, but a Rules Book would turn me off. The lights left on could be a "get back at" for the "rules". Yes, guests do leave lights on. That is the cost of doing business. (You asked.)
Try not giving out a rules book and see what happens. How do you know they leave everything on when they go out to dinner? Room fluffs are after breakfast while they are out for the day. THEN turn off the lights except for one so they do not come back to a dark room.
My guests seem to leave the bathroom lights and fan on - so as soon as they leave I go up to check and, since I have a lot of one-nights, strip the room. Multi-nights, I do not go into the room (I have guests who do not leave wet towels on beds - have only found that once in 22 years and it was a retaliation) unless they request maid service (I ask if they need maid service). Adding: If clothes are on the floor, you leave them on the floor. If they are on the bed, you do not make the bed. NEVER touch guest stuff unless it is a hazard to you, your property, or them (as in on a heater (fire) or hanging on your wood furniture (do not want furniture ruined).

Hello everyone,
Two things... what is your check in procedure when your guests arrive? I don’t have an official reception area. Also have a rules book I give everyone when they arrive. It says to turn off fans, lights and ac’s when leaving room and/or house. I have these guests that turn on all the lights in the room. Two side tables lamps and overhead light every night and leave on when they leave to go dinner, last night they were gone about 5 hours. When they go out on deck same thing, all fans and lights even though this is our winter and it’s very cool in the evenings. I have a hamper for them to put their clothes in yet they drop their clothes and undergarments on the floor (went in to clean room and didn’t know what to do) leave them, pick them up :( how should I handle?.
Check in - greet guests at door, have them sign their registration form and pay. Show guest around house to room.
Guests are on vacation and are going to be on their worst behavior. If the floor or bed is strewn with crap we leave it and clean what we can.
We turn everything off when we go in to clean. If it's on at night, we let it go. Yes, it's wasteful.
Only a couple of times have we turned the heat or a/c off in a room when guests were out.

Hello everyone,
I wouldn't read a 'rules book' in a hotel. I do have a 'welcome' page in our in-room info books. (Books have info on restaurants, things to do and some history on the house along with the welcome page.)
The page has breakfast info, common areas info, Wi-Fi info, check out time, and emergency phone numbers.
I do have a few 'rules' among the info paragraphs.
Please do not feed the koi fish or toss rocks into the pond.
If you bring in take out food, please feel free to enjoy it in any of our indoor or outdoor dining areas.
I have a paragraph titled: House Rules:
No smoking, no candles, no open flame of any kind by order of the Fire Marshal.
Smoking is permitted only at the picnic table on the driveway side of the building.
Please respect our other guests and neighbors. Quiet hours are between 10 PM and 7 AM.
Please do not feed the fish or cat. The cat is only kidding when she tells you we don't feed her.

Hello everyone,
I wouldn't read a 'rules book' in a hotel. I do have a 'welcome' page in our in-room info books. (Books have info on restaurants, things to do and some history on the house along with the welcome page.)
The page has breakfast info, common areas info, Wi-Fi info, check out time, and emergency phone numbers.
I do have a few 'rules' among the info paragraphs.
Please do not feed the koi fish or toss rocks into the pond.
If you bring in take out food, please feel free to enjoy it in any of our indoor or outdoor dining areas.
I have a paragraph titled: House Rules:
No smoking, no candles, no open flame of any kind by order of the Fire Marshal.
Smoking is permitted only at the picnic table on the driveway side of the building.
Please respect our other guests and neighbors. Quiet hours are between 10 PM and 7 AM.
Please do not feed the fish or cat. The cat is only kidding when she tells you we don't feed her.
Yes yes meant welcome book which has same info you mentioned plus the turn ac off, WiFi info, gate code, things to do, restaurants and how to contact me etc
duly noted on making beds and leaving clothes where they are. Thanks

Welcome.
BEST thing about having breakfast made for you is having breakfast made for you. Same with coffee.
I am no gourmet cook but served what I knew how to make with a flourish and a smile ... servings were generous and my guests were very complimentary. *Except for the guy who saw my red hair and assumed I'd be making an 'Irish Breakfast'. He was disappointed. I never posted anywhere that I'd be making such a thing ... in fact, my website showed the waffles and things.
wink_smile.gif

I suggest you do the same. Don't stress about being something you are not.
I did not have space to have in-room cooking but on each of the three floors I had a guest mini fridge and a microwave, plus a little space to sit and eat on two of the floors, the guest library accommodated this on the first floor.
Doing this kept people from asking to use the inn kitchen. I got rid of the tiny trash cans in these guest 'lounges' and put in big, covered ones to handle all the take out and food trash. I didn't like the food trash at first but then realized that eating late in house is what my guests wanted. Lots of people got to the end of the road where I was (literally end of the road - you have to turn around to leave the village) so their options were few. I ended up getting a bigger fridge for the library and the biggest problem was guests who stole another guest's food sometimes.
I think your guests just misunderstood the two different kinds of rental options.

Hello everyone,
No one is going to read your rule book, no one cares enough. And eventually, you will end up with someone posting a bad review because you have ALL THOSE RULES. So, you need to make most of it simple or automatic. For example, Zwave or Zigbee on one switch or with a movement detector.
You need to minimize the things you need to tell them and limit to helpful rather than rules. And eventually you will run into the lady who thinks that AC needs to be set at 10c because of her menopause.
Leave the clothing where they leave it, unless it presents a hazard for the housekeeping.

Hello everyone,
No one is going to read your rule book, no one cares enough. And eventually, you will end up with someone posting a bad review because you have ALL THOSE RULES. So, you need to make most of it simple or automatic. For example, Zwave or Zigbee on one switch or with a movement detector.
You need to minimize the things you need to tell them and limit to helpful rather than rules. And eventually you will run into the lady who thinks that AC needs to be set at 10c because of her menopause.
Leave the clothing where they leave it, unless it presents a hazard for the housekeeping.
I know I said rules but I corrected myself it’s more of a welcome book with rules interspersed and all places have rules. Ok I didn’t know you weren’t to move clothes, so if theirs are clothes on floor and bed, you’re saying don’t clean the room? :(
Question::how often do you change linens and towels?

Hello everyone,
I know I said rules but I corrected myself it’s more of a welcome book with rules interspersed and all places have rules. Ok I didn’t know you weren’t to move clothes, so if theirs are clothes on floor and bed, you’re saying don’t clean the room? :(
Hiddengembnb said:
If guests pile their stuff on the bed or throw everything on the floor, we'll do what we can - clean the bathroom, empty the trash. If it's a matter of moving a pair of pajamas to make the bed, I'll do that. And then put them right back in the bed. If wet soda cans are on my furniture I'll move them, same thing with wet clothes on the furniture. I will protect my investment.
Changing bed linens - if the guests are staying and the sheets are dirty we change them. If the sheets are clean, then it depends on length of stay. 3 nights, we don't change them. 4 or more nights, change mid way.
Towels every other day unless they smell or are obviously dirty or if the guest has left them on the floor.
But, you really should find out what is expected where you are. If everyone else changes everything everyday, that's what's expected. No one expects that where I am. Most guests tell me not to bother even for a week long stay. Except towels. Everyone loves fresh towels!

Hello everyone,
Generic is spot on, rules, even interspersed rules are asking for problems. Make them helpful suggestions where ever possible.
i have a guest information pack in each room with helpful comments and I'm frequently surprised how many people read this (I can tell by comments they make).
don't fall into the trap of creating a rule for ever nuisance, for example...... if one guest takes a short cut through your flower bed put it down to stupidity. If several people do it put a small fence up. If lots of people do it then put it in your "rule" book.

Hello everyone,
When guests arrive, I try to greet them on the porch and ask if they need help with their luggage (gratefully, most say no). I then take them up to their room showing them where the thermostat is for their heating or pointing out where the remote is for the A/C, pointing out the basket of fruit & snacks on the dresser, location of TV remote, and the bathroom, where the light switches are. I also show the robes in the closet and hairdryer. Tell them where the bottles of water are found and that the books and magazines are there to be "stolen" - no limit on what they take. I ask them to let me know, before they turn in, what time they want breakfast in the morning. Once any questions have been answered, I leave. I am downstairs if they need anything. The only sign in the house is on the mantle in the best room and only to explain that any money in the gumball machine goes to the Lord's Pantry Food Bank.
I am sorry, but a Rules Book would turn me off. The lights left on could be a "get back at" for the "rules". Yes, guests do leave lights on. That is the cost of doing business. (You asked.)
Try not giving out a rules book and see what happens. How do you know they leave everything on when they go out to dinner? Room fluffs are after breakfast while they are out for the day. THEN turn off the lights except for one so they do not come back to a dark room.
My guests seem to leave the bathroom lights and fan on - so as soon as they leave I go up to check and, since I have a lot of one-nights, strip the room. Multi-nights, I do not go into the room (I have guests who do not leave wet towels on beds - have only found that once in 22 years and it was a retaliation) unless they request maid service (I ask if they need maid service). Adding: If clothes are on the floor, you leave them on the floor. If they are on the bed, you do not make the bed. NEVER touch guest stuff unless it is a hazard to you, your property, or them (as in on a heater (fire) or hanging on your wood furniture (do not want furniture ruined).
Thank you for your comment

Hello everyone,
Welcome Book >>> good information for those who choose to read, but not all will do so
Clothes on floor/bed >>> I take the position that I'm the motel maid, not a guest's personal maid, I will straighten the guest room, but don't handle personal electronics or risk breaking my neck climbing over junk in the floor.
Towels/linens >>> The nature of our business is that many/most guests stay only two or three nights, I ask if they prefer us to service the room or if they prefer to ask for specific services as needed.

.... and thirdly, the code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules..... (Capt. Barbossa, Pirates of the Caribbean)
I agree with other comments to the effect that having high expectations around guest behavior and creating rules around those, will tend to lead to frustration. Better to create systems and structures that "gently" steer the guests (perhaps even unbeknownst to them) towards the behaviors you wish of them. Lights on timer or motion-detecting switches, and fences or other structures to guide them away from places you don't want them trampling, are two good examples. If you only want them to smoke in a particular area, make sure that there is something for safe cigarette butt disposal prominent in that area, and that there is nothing that could be used for butt disposal anywhere else. And so on.
We have a lot of fine print on the back of our guest invoice, that we ask the lead guest (the one paying the bill) to sign at the bottom. Most don't bother reading and just sign. A further problem is that generally only the lead guest is ever exposed to the terms and conditions -- the rest of their party is oblivious.
We provide "picture books" (our information book) which we can only hope they might look at and get a clue. One example that might be somewhat unique to us is the proper stowage of oars and oarlocks after using one of our rowboats. The picture book shows pictures of "the wrong way" with a red circle and diagonal line across it and pictures of "the right way" with a green circle with a check-mark next to it (universal visual symbols, one would think). But whenever we are on the dock, we inevitably discover that somebody hasn't seen the book, or it just didn't register with them, or they forgot. It's just the way guests are. We can't let it get to us.

Hello everyone,
Change the bed for people staying more than 4 days.
Change towels as needed. We do put up the obnoxious sign saying if you put your towels on the floor, we'll replace them, if you hang them up we won't.
I don't move clothes either but I might move things I don't like, like Mort said, glasses on wood furniture or a suitcase on my good chair.

Suggestion for the lights left on situation (just came to me): a small tent card perhaps (or in your info book) We know you are good custodians of the Earth and very much appreciate you turning off lights when leaving the bathroom and your guestroom.

Hello everyone,
Welcome Book >>> good information for those who choose to read, but not all will do so
Clothes on floor/bed >>> I take the position that I'm the motel maid, not a guest's personal maid, I will straighten the guest room, but don't handle personal electronics or risk breaking my neck climbing over junk in the floor.
Towels/linens >>> The nature of our business is that many/most guests stay only two or three nights, I ask if they prefer us to service the room or if they prefer to ask for specific services as needed.
Hello thanks for the comment. I like the idea of asking their preference in servicing the room.

Hello everyone,
Hello thanks for the comment. I like the idea of asking their preference in servicing the room.
we have door hangers- (1) red no service today - ie emaphasis on today too many people put do not disturb on while having breakfast when actually it would be handy to do the room and then change it later when the housekeeper has gone past. (2) pink "quick spritz" with list of what you get (trash can emptied, toiletries refilled, tea and coffee tray filled up and toilet roll) and (3) green - full service - means you save a lot of time cleaning for people who don't want it anyway

Hello everyone,
Hiddengembnb said:
Most people will say don't bother because either they think they're putting you out or because of perp pressure if everyone else says no.
And then they will grumble every time they come back to the room. They are on vacation! That implies relaxing and not spending time cleaning their room before they leave for the day.
If you want to go this route then get those door hangers. And be prepared for damage when you haven't seen the room for a week.

Back