Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone,
Two things... what is your check in procedure when your guests arrive? I don’t have an official reception area. Also have a rules book I give everyone when they arrive. It says to turn off fans, lights and ac’s when leaving room and/or house. I have these guests that turn on all the lights in the room. Two side tables lamps and overhead light every night and leave on when they leave to go dinner, last night they were gone about 5 hours. When they go out on deck same thing, all fans and lights even though this is our winter and it’s very cool in the evenings. I have a hamper for them to put their clothes in yet they drop their clothes and undergarments on the floor (went in to clean room and didn’t know what to do) leave them, pick them up :( how should I handle?.
No one is going to read your rule book, no one cares enough. And eventually, you will end up with someone posting a bad review because you have ALL THOSE RULES. So, you need to make most of it simple or automatic. For example, Zwave or Zigbee on one switch or with a movement detector.
You need to minimize the things you need to tell them and limit to helpful rather than rules. And eventually you will run into the lady who thinks that AC needs to be set at 10c because of her menopause.
Leave the clothing where they leave it, unless it presents a hazard for the housekeeping.
I know I said rules but I corrected myself it’s more of a welcome book with rules interspersed and all places have rules. Ok I didn’t know you weren’t to move clothes, so if theirs are clothes on floor and bed, you’re saying don’t clean the room? :(
Question::how often do you change linens and towels?
Change the bed for people staying more than 4 days.
Change towels as needed. We do put up the obnoxious sign saying if you put your towels on the floor, we'll replace them, if you hang them up we won't.
I don't move clothes either but I might move things I don't like, like Mort said, glasses on wood furniture or a suitcase on my good chair.
I am in the tropics so my guests tend to stay between 7-10 days. This is such a learning curve for me so thank you for all your responses.

Welcome.
BEST thing about having breakfast made for you is having breakfast made for you. Same with coffee.
I am no gourmet cook but served what I knew how to make with a flourish and a smile ... servings were generous and my guests were very complimentary. *Except for the guy who saw my red hair and assumed I'd be making an 'Irish Breakfast'. He was disappointed. I never posted anywhere that I'd be making such a thing ... in fact, my website showed the waffles and things.
wink_smile.gif

I suggest you do the same. Don't stress about being something you are not.
I did not have space to have in-room cooking but on each of the three floors I had a guest mini fridge and a microwave, plus a little space to sit and eat on two of the floors, the guest library accommodated this on the first floor.
Doing this kept people from asking to use the inn kitchen. I got rid of the tiny trash cans in these guest 'lounges' and put in big, covered ones to handle all the take out and food trash. I didn't like the food trash at first but then realized that eating late in house is what my guests wanted. Lots of people got to the end of the road where I was (literally end of the road - you have to turn around to leave the village) so their options were few. I ended up getting a bigger fridge for the library and the biggest problem was guests who stole another guest's food sometimes.
I think your guests just misunderstood the two different kinds of rental options..
Sea shanty thank you for the welcome, comments and advice. Much appreciated.

Suggestion for the lights left on situation (just came to me): a small tent card perhaps (or in your info book) We know you are good custodians of the Earth and very much appreciate you turning off lights when leaving the bathroom and your guestroom..
I think that is great wording for a reminder sign, but may I add my two cents on lights being left on?
I suggest CFL or LED bulbs. I agree, even small costs can add up quickly, but lighting is not usually as large of a power draw as other devices. Example, a hair dryer or electric heater may draw 1500 watts, a TV 300 watts, CFL or LED bulb 10 watts.

Suggestion for the lights left on situation (just came to me): a small tent card perhaps (or in your info book) We know you are good custodians of the Earth and very much appreciate you turning off lights when leaving the bathroom and your guestroom..
I think that is great wording for a reminder sign, but may I add my two cents on lights being left on?
I suggest CFL or LED bulbs. I agree, even small costs can add up quickly, but lighting is not usually as large of a power draw as other devices. Example, a hair dryer or electric heater may draw 1500 watts, a TV 300 watts, CFL or LED bulb 10 watts.
Last April when my son was here from Finland, he replaced all my bulbs with LED. The fixtures I got for the new office are also LED. And when I have the heat on upstairs (guests in cold months - rare as that may be), they have barely pulled away from the curb before I am on the way up to turn the heat off in the guestroom and down in the bathroom, I have the heat on in the bathrooms (low) to preserve waterlines.

Last April when my son was here from Finland, he replaced all my bulbs with LED. The fixtures I got for the new office are also LED. And when I have the heat on upstairs (guests in cold months - rare as that may be), they have barely pulled away from the curb before I am on the way up to turn the heat off in the guestroom and down in the bathroom, I have the heat on in the bathrooms (low) to preserve waterlines.
I like the LED bulbs, as CFL's stop working we are moving in that direction, they come on faster and seem a brighter light. Climbing stairs may get old quickly, but guest rooms upstairs is a big advantage as heat rises and helps protect the pipes. Our long one floor building works against me in winter as I have to keep heat in guest rooms even when we have no guests to protect the waterlines, electric heat, so I really hate to see the power bill arrive this time of year.

I like the LED bulbs, as CFL's stop working we are moving in that direction, they come on faster and seem a brighter light. Climbing stairs may get old quickly, but guest rooms upstairs is a big advantage as heat rises and helps protect the pipes. Our long one floor building works against me in winter as I have to keep heat in guest rooms even when we have no guests to protect the waterlines, electric heat, so I really hate to see the power bill arrive this time of year.
Just heating the downstairs with forced-air gas heat, my bill for January was well over $300 - and ubnless I hav guets in-house (2 nights in January) the thermostat is kept at 62 degrees. I layer and put on another sweater.

Just heating the downstairs with forced-air gas heat, my bill for January was well over $300 - and ubnless I hav guets in-house (2 nights in January) the thermostat is kept at 62 degrees. I layer and put on another sweater.
gillumhouse said:
Holy cow you need some insulation! I'm heating 5000 sq ft (4000 @ 55 degrees and 1000 @ 68 degrees) and my bill is lower than that!

gillumhouse said:
Holy cow you need some insulation! I'm heating 5000 sq ft (4000 @ 55 degrees and 1000 @ 68 degrees) and my bill is lower than that!
Part of the problem was the "workshop" having holes opened up, although I had a "snake" down at the door to keep air out. Plus we had way too many days of barely in the teens with single digit or below nights. And you are correct, my house has very little insulation, mostly the stuff they put over the boards before putting the siding on. The workshop is now insulated - somewhat - and has drywall up.
In 1912 insulation was unheard of and here gas was cheap (then) so each room had a gas fireplace to keep it warm - except the kitchen and the cook stove did the job there. The original kitchen is the largest room in the house and is now my dining room. The current kitchen was the back porch and has no insulation but stays livable with the help of a gas heater. Also, I have no basement - only the space over the studio was dug out to put a furnace in circa 1957. The rest of the house has a crawl space a chubby 2-year old could not get under.

Hello everyone,
Two things... what is your check in procedure when your guests arrive? I don’t have an official reception area. Also have a rules book I give everyone when they arrive. It says to turn off fans, lights and ac’s when leaving room and/or house. I have these guests that turn on all the lights in the room. Two side tables lamps and overhead light every night and leave on when they leave to go dinner, last night they were gone about 5 hours. When they go out on deck same thing, all fans and lights even though this is our winter and it’s very cool in the evenings. I have a hamper for them to put their clothes in yet they drop their clothes and undergarments on the floor (went in to clean room and didn’t know what to do) leave them, pick them up :( how should I handle?.
Hi and welcome to the forum!

No one will read your rules book, they are on vacation! We have a tent style card with our most important information which includes a few rules mixed in. Since your property is in an area where most feel is laid back and 'anything goes' try to make your rules sound as though they are not rules but as things you found that make everyone live in harmony while staying there.

As for lights I turn them off when I clean but people do not consider your bills while they are there. They may feel they have paid for the right to abuse! As for AC, I would leave it on as well if I were there. I was there once in late December and we still speak of how hot it was. I would want it cool upon my return.

If your power bills are higher than you expected, you may want to adjust your rates to handle the higher bills.

Good luck!

gillumhouse said:
Part of the problem was the "workshop" having holes opened up, although I had a "snake" down at the door to keep air out. Plus we had way too many days of barely in the teens with single digit or below nights. And you are correct, my house has very little insulation, mostly the stuff they put over the boards before putting the siding on. The workshop is now insulated - somewhat - and has drywall up.
In 1912 insulation was unheard of and here gas was cheap (then) so each room had a gas fireplace to keep it warm - except the kitchen and the cook stove did the job there. The original kitchen is the largest room in the house and is now my dining room. The current kitchen was the back porch and has no insulation but stays livable with the help of a gas heater. Also, I have no basement - only the space over the studio was dug out to put a furnace in circa 1957. The rest of the house has a crawl space a chubby 2-year old could not get under.
My half of the house is on a slab. The other part is a stone foundation. The chipmunks love it. We don't have to worry about stale air down there. But, yes, the upstairs got insulated in the 80's when the reno was done.
My old house in VT was a two pair of wool socks house. I ran two wood stoves AND the furnace and the fuel oil truck showed up every 10 days to give us another 250 gallons.
-25 was pretty standard in the winter and insulation wasnt exactly heard of in 1865.
Not doing that again!

gillumhouse said:
Gee, I'm afraid to list our power bill for fear you'd fall out of your chair laughing and hurt yourselves, but I expect our most recent light/power bill would cover Gillum's heat for the entire winter. I don't like too much heat, gas logs warm the room we sit in and give you a place to stand for extra warmth, of course propane is a different bill, but guest rooms are electric heater/ac units, have to keep half of them on even if empty so pipes don't freeze, more when it drops real low like it did last month, then when you have winter guests they have spent the day freezing on the slopes and run the heat at maximum to defrost themselves.

gillumhouse said:
Gee, I'm afraid to list our power bill for fear you'd fall out of your chair laughing and hurt yourselves, but I expect our most recent light/power bill would cover Gillum's heat for the entire winter. I don't like too much heat, gas logs warm the room we sit in and give you a place to stand for extra warmth, of course propane is a different bill, but guest rooms are electric heater/ac units, have to keep half of them on even if empty so pipes don't freeze, more when it drops real low like it did last month, then when you have winter guests they have spent the day freezing on the slopes and run the heat at maximum to defrost themselves.
Gas bill was almost $400 with the taxes and electric was almost $160. I do miss Himself's check in winter months. Fortunately I had paid extra last month on the gas. Feb can be THE most brutal here so I am holding my breath (figuratively) that the roller coaster temps we have been having stay above 15 for the lows. Almost made it through the first winter - that is something. Doing OK is even better.
Hoping the weather ap is incorrect about tomorrow. Says it is going to snow at 2 AM until 7 AM and I have to leave here by 5:30 for Tourism Day at the Capitol.

Soo I told my guests due to insurance reasons they could not use my kitchen or store stuff in my fridge and they have decided to leave :( so that's that but I feel good about it. (they were my second "official" guests). In from Italy.
Can I have a survey of how many innkeepers/B&B owners have mini fridge and Microwave in their rooms. I am still learning, have been opened since July 2017 but am now starting to get busy and have had my first official guests from canada here for 9 days and currently have guests and a few bookings. Any advice or suggestions you may have will be greatly appreciated. I am scared and nervous and don't know what I am doing. Cant find a cook so currently doing it all. I see everyone doing these big fancy breakfasts and I haven't got a clue. Help!!.
We have a guest lounge with the (only) large TV, large cafe tables, full size fridge, ice maker, Keurig coffee, and microwave. It completely deals with the "room picnic" and take out suppers, and allows us to be really strict about staying out of our kitchen.

Hello everyone,
When guests arrive, I try to greet them on the porch and ask if they need help with their luggage (gratefully, most say no). I then take them up to their room showing them where the thermostat is for their heating or pointing out where the remote is for the A/C, pointing out the basket of fruit & snacks on the dresser, location of TV remote, and the bathroom, where the light switches are. I also show the robes in the closet and hairdryer. Tell them where the bottles of water are found and that the books and magazines are there to be "stolen" - no limit on what they take. I ask them to let me know, before they turn in, what time they want breakfast in the morning. Once any questions have been answered, I leave. I am downstairs if they need anything. The only sign in the house is on the mantle in the best room and only to explain that any money in the gumball machine goes to the Lord's Pantry Food Bank.
I am sorry, but a Rules Book would turn me off. The lights left on could be a "get back at" for the "rules". Yes, guests do leave lights on. That is the cost of doing business. (You asked.)
Try not giving out a rules book and see what happens. How do you know they leave everything on when they go out to dinner? Room fluffs are after breakfast while they are out for the day. THEN turn off the lights except for one so they do not come back to a dark room.
My guests seem to leave the bathroom lights and fan on - so as soon as they leave I go up to check and, since I have a lot of one-nights, strip the room. Multi-nights, I do not go into the room (I have guests who do not leave wet towels on beds - have only found that once in 22 years and it was a retaliation) unless they request maid service (I ask if they need maid service). Adding: If clothes are on the floor, you leave them on the floor. If they are on the bed, you do not make the bed. NEVER touch guest stuff unless it is a hazard to you, your property, or them (as in on a heater (fire) or hanging on your wood furniture (do not want furniture ruined).
gillumhouse said:
When guests arrive,
I am sorry, but a Rules Book would turn me off.
That is the cost of doing business.
turn off the lights except for one so they do not come back to a dark room.
NEVER touch guest stuff unless it is a hazard.
All wisdom. Talk to the guests when they arrive, tell them about breakfast, wi-fi, the lounge, etc. Skip the rules: people don't read -- or, specifically, the people who need to read won't read. Put timers on bathroom fans, bathroom heaters; use LED or CFL lighting; do a light room fluff to check, but generally leave them alone.

Regarding your comments and feedback. In Barbados electricity is very expensive. With ac, fans and other devices on etc and running all day and night my bill is around $2000/month, my stove is electric and we keep front lights on for the guests. I went to our power company and they said things don’t work like overseas (I’m just moved back here faftet living in Atlanta for 10 years and NY for 25) they asked if I use AC said yes, fans on...yes. They said that is why electric bill so high. So yes I’m concerned when people leave lights and ac on, do t want to spend all my money paying light bills. That’s just one, still have water, internet, groceries for breakfast and let me tell you, it is quite expensive grocery shopping here. Ridiculously so. Soo yes many people don’t like rules and especially so on holidays but I have them and everyone here has them, we have to. Btw I always read the rules or manuals wherever I go simply out of respect, especially if I’m staying in someone’s house. So far all my guests have read my house manual, the codes to the doors and gates are in it so they have to plus I have loads of helpful Information welcoming them to the island. . I just got wink and use Wemo plugs and bulbs. Thanks again I much appreciate all of your comments.

Regarding your comments and feedback. In Barbados electricity is very expensive. With ac, fans and other devices on etc and running all day and night my bill is around $2000/month, my stove is electric and we keep front lights on for the guests. I went to our power company and they said things don’t work like overseas (I’m just moved back here faftet living in Atlanta for 10 years and NY for 25) they asked if I use AC said yes, fans on...yes. They said that is why electric bill so high. So yes I’m concerned when people leave lights and ac on, do t want to spend all my money paying light bills. That’s just one, still have water, internet, groceries for breakfast and let me tell you, it is quite expensive grocery shopping here. Ridiculously so. Soo yes many people don’t like rules and especially so on holidays but I have them and everyone here has them, we have to. Btw I always read the rules or manuals wherever I go simply out of respect, especially if I’m staying in someone’s house. So far all my guests have read my house manual, the codes to the doors and gates are in it so they have to plus I have loads of helpful Information welcoming them to the island. . I just got wink and use Wemo plugs and bulbs. Thanks again I much appreciate all of your comments..
Change all incandescent lights to LED, which don't produce much heat and won't use much electricity.
For the AC, if it's really an issue, consider occupancy detectors. Essentially, the electric only works if someone is in the room.

Regarding your comments and feedback. In Barbados electricity is very expensive. With ac, fans and other devices on etc and running all day and night my bill is around $2000/month, my stove is electric and we keep front lights on for the guests. I went to our power company and they said things don’t work like overseas (I’m just moved back here faftet living in Atlanta for 10 years and NY for 25) they asked if I use AC said yes, fans on...yes. They said that is why electric bill so high. So yes I’m concerned when people leave lights and ac on, do t want to spend all my money paying light bills. That’s just one, still have water, internet, groceries for breakfast and let me tell you, it is quite expensive grocery shopping here. Ridiculously so. Soo yes many people don’t like rules and especially so on holidays but I have them and everyone here has them, we have to. Btw I always read the rules or manuals wherever I go simply out of respect, especially if I’m staying in someone’s house. So far all my guests have read my house manual, the codes to the doors and gates are in it so they have to plus I have loads of helpful Information welcoming them to the island. . I just got wink and use Wemo plugs and bulbs. Thanks again I much appreciate all of your comments..
Change all incandescent lights to LED, which don't produce much heat and won't use much electricity.
For the AC, if it's really an issue, consider occupancy detectors. Essentially, the electric only works if someone is in the room.
Generic said:
Also, an interlock system so the a/c doesn't work if the windows are open.
I found my housekeeper! running the a/c with the windows open because it was 'too hot' in the room.

Generic said:
Also, an interlock system so the a/c doesn't work if the windows are open.
I found my housekeeper! running the a/c with the windows open because it was 'too hot' in the room.
You know, the reality is, that if you are well insulated, it doesn't really matter all that much if you run the A/C when they aren't there... BUT with open windows, it's useless entirely.

Back