Nit Picky Guest Comments

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"You should buy a new TV, they're not that expensive nowadays." Totally sarcastic. Hey pal, the TV works just fine, just because you don't like the way it looks doesn't mean it doesn't do it's job.
"Nice place but the lounge is a bit dated."
So, we did buy a new TV this year, totally revamped the living room and now it looks like a living room I might even like to hang out in.
But, let me tell you, in August, when I haven't had a day off in 3 months, stuff like like rankles. Mindless comments about something that makes not a wit of difference in a 'normal' person's life but the critics, oh they have to criticize..
You mean like the guests who told me at check out that they had no hot water their entire weekend. They tell me now? I was not about to let them off the hook. They acted so put out and dissappointed about it. But don't bother to mention it to us the 50 times you saw us all weekend.
I asked "Did you check it at the sink?" They stared back at me like deer in headlights, middle aged couple, surely they were not that daft, right?
I ask them to let me check it, and they acted put out and just wanted to leave this awful place...we THREE go up there, I first check it at the sink, as I know the hot water tank is VERY close to this bathroom. Sure enough piping hot water in 2 seconds. I go to the shower and 2 seconds later the room fills with steam.
They say in unison "Well we BOTH tried it and it never worked."
and btw our hot water is turn left, as it is supposed to be on the faucet, turn left and voila hot water. I hoped they felt embarrassed, really hoped.
See if there was a comment card they would have written a scathing comment about this and I would NEVER have been able to show them otherwise. Really irked me. But people are this way, cannot work anything out, cannot work out how to close the blinds, so pull the curtains over the whole windows. Can't work out some basic things, like hot water kettle. Even after I show them and now have a note there.
whattha.gif

I'm just working on opening a B&B but have rented the space as an apartment for 20+ years. I can relay a similar story in that I rented to a woman who went without any lights in the bathroom for an entire week because she had tripped the ground fault.
Amazing. She finally said something and I showed her the reset button and also the one in the kitchen.
Colleen848 said:
...I rented to a woman who went without any lights in the bathroom for an entire week because she had tripped the ground fault.
Yes, ground faults can be a problem because they knock out the whole circuit, not just the one outlet that has the reset button.
They may be one of those rare cases where it's worth putting up a little sign, if they trip often enough to be a real problem.
If they trip often enough, maybe it's time to split the circuit and call in an electrician.
I am a card carrying journeyman electrician for over 20 yrs. now.
Circuits around water require a ground fault.
In this woman's case she tripped the one by the bathroom vanity which also had the vanity lights on it.
Just seems odd that no one looks at the outlet. It's clearly marked and does not at all resemble a regular duplex.
Besides, why would you wait so long to say something? You didn't want to bother me?
Guess I can be unapprochable. lol
No, because people don't think. They are bad enough in their own homes and environments, but put them someplace new and all common sense goes bye bye. We can say the same thing about the PREVIOUS OWNERS of this B&B "What were they thinking!" I won't bore you with details, but it is a regular occurence.
Because they don't think I agree with the others when they says "Guests and open flames don't match" need I remind of the story of the gal who BOILED (key word BOIL - 212 degrees F or 100 degree C) the kettle and then poured the scalding water into a plastic cup... There are tons of these stories on this forum alone, pretty scary stuff.
Childproof the B&B y'all!

"You should buy a new TV, they're not that expensive nowadays." Totally sarcastic. Hey pal, the TV works just fine, just because you don't like the way it looks doesn't mean it doesn't do it's job.
So, we did buy a new TV this year, totally revamped the living room and now it looks like a living room I might even like to hang out in.
But, let me tell you, in August, when I haven't had a day off in 3 months, stuff like like rankles. Mindless comments about something that makes not a wit of difference in a 'normal' person's life but the critics, oh they have to criticize..
You mean like the guests who told me at check out that they had no hot water their entire weekend. They tell me now? I was not about to let them off the hook. They acted so put out and dissappointed about it. But don't bother to mention it to us the 50 times you saw us all weekend.
I asked "Did you check it at the sink?" They stared back at me like deer in headlights, middle aged couple, surely they were not that daft, right?
I ask them to let me check it, and they acted put out and just wanted to leave this awful place...we THREE go up there, I first check it at the sink, as I know the hot water tank is VERY close to this bathroom. Sure enough piping hot water in 2 seconds. I go to the shower and 2 seconds later the room fills with steam.
and btw our hot water is turn left, as it is supposed to be on the faucet, turn left and voila hot water. I hoped they felt embarrassed, really hoped.
See if there was a comment card they would have written a scathing comment about this and I would NEVER have been able to show them otherwise. Really irked me. But people are this way, cannot work anything out, cannot work out how to close the blinds, so pull the curtains over the whole windows. Can't work out some basic things, like hot water kettle. Even after I show them and now have a note there.
whattha.gif

I'm just working on opening a B&B but have rented the space as an apartment for 20+ years. I can relay a similar story in that I rented to a woman who went without any lights in the bathroom for an entire week because she had tripped the ground fault.
Amazing. She finally said something and I showed her the reset button and also the one in the kitchen.
Colleen848 said:
...I rented to a woman who went without any lights in the bathroom for an entire week because she had tripped the ground fault.
Yes, ground faults can be a problem because they knock out the whole circuit, not just the one outlet that has the reset button.
They may be one of those rare cases where it's worth putting up a little sign, if they trip often enough to be a real problem.
If they trip often enough, maybe it's time to split the circuit and call in an electrician.
I am a card carrying journeyman electrician for over 20 yrs. now.
Circuits around water require a ground fault.
In this woman's case she tripped the one by the bathroom vanity which also had the vanity lights on it.
Just seems odd that no one looks at the outlet. It's clearly marked and does not at all resemble a regular duplex.
Besides, why would you wait so long to say something? You didn't want to bother me?
Guess I can be unapprochable. lol
We had guests whose son was splashing around in the sink and tripped the GFI, which was on the same circuit as the hallway lights for some reason. They didn't know until they came back at night and their kid fell down the stairs in the dark because they didn't bother to come and get us when the lights didn't come on.
Of course, THAT was our fault. We showed them why the lights wouldn't come on and then moved them to another room downstairs as the kid was then afraid of the stairs.

You all have to remember in the UK we have different electricity than in the US so we do not have sockets in bathrooms and you have to have a pull cord or light switch outside the bathroom so you are not killed. Therefore in hotels you have a dressing table outside the bathroom with a mirror and plug socket (just to set the scene) Woman rings down to me on reception (back when I worked in hotels) can I have an extension chord? I am sorry no (as we didn't have any spare) may I ask why? Because there arn't any sockets in the bathroom and my hairdryer won't reach so I need an extension. I said sorry no you cannot have an extension as using electrical appliances in the bathroom in this country is illegal as it gets you killed!!!! use the socket on your dressing table!!!!!! Serious Darwin Award winner. If you don't know what a darwin award is it is where people who are as stupid as this get themselves killed thus preventing them from having children and therefore leading to the evolution of man! whether you believe in Darwin or not the principle of weeding out people who are that dumb may not be a bad thing!

whattha.gif

I had a work colleague whose husband was totally inept at any "handyman" type things and she had never learned to do anything around the house. And they weren't interested in learning how to do anything. It was so bad that they hired people to hang their art work in their home. I was totally baffled by this.
Those are the type of people that don't even know to question about a GFCI plug being tripped or that a faucet might work some way that they don't comprehend.
This is why innkeepers must have some signs, as much as we hate them.

You all have to remember in the UK we have different electricity than in the US so we do not have sockets in bathrooms and you have to have a pull cord or light switch outside the bathroom so you are not killed. Therefore in hotels you have a dressing table outside the bathroom with a mirror and plug socket (just to set the scene) Woman rings down to me on reception (back when I worked in hotels) can I have an extension chord? I am sorry no (as we didn't have any spare) may I ask why? Because there arn't any sockets in the bathroom and my hairdryer won't reach so I need an extension. I said sorry no you cannot have an extension as using electrical appliances in the bathroom in this country is illegal as it gets you killed!!!! use the socket on your dressing table!!!!!! Serious Darwin Award winner. If you don't know what a darwin award is it is where people who are as stupid as this get themselves killed thus preventing them from having children and therefore leading to the evolution of man! whether you believe in Darwin or not the principle of weeding out people who are that dumb may not be a bad thing!.
Cambs- I really have to ask why, if WE, some of the loopiest people on the planet, can manage to not kill ourselves too often with electrical outlets in the bathroom or near the kitchen sink, what they heck is going on with you lot?
wink_smile.gif

You all have to remember in the UK we have different electricity than in the US so we do not have sockets in bathrooms and you have to have a pull cord or light switch outside the bathroom so you are not killed. Therefore in hotels you have a dressing table outside the bathroom with a mirror and plug socket (just to set the scene) Woman rings down to me on reception (back when I worked in hotels) can I have an extension chord? I am sorry no (as we didn't have any spare) may I ask why? Because there arn't any sockets in the bathroom and my hairdryer won't reach so I need an extension. I said sorry no you cannot have an extension as using electrical appliances in the bathroom in this country is illegal as it gets you killed!!!! use the socket on your dressing table!!!!!! Serious Darwin Award winner. If you don't know what a darwin award is it is where people who are as stupid as this get themselves killed thus preventing them from having children and therefore leading to the evolution of man! whether you believe in Darwin or not the principle of weeding out people who are that dumb may not be a bad thing!.
I understand survival of the fit, however I can not understand what seems to me to be some unreasonable idea that if you have electricity in the bathroom you will be "killed"! ha ha
The only difference between your electricity and ours is you run on a differen voltage.
Same beast, just a different name. Do they have ground fault outlets there?

Cambs- I really have to ask why, if WE, some of the loopiest people on the planet, can manage to not kill ourselves too often with electrical outlets in the bathroom or near the kitchen sink, what they heck is going on with you lot?
wink_smile.gif

Madeleine said:
...why, if WE, some of the loopiest people on the planet, can manage to not kill ourselves too often with electrical outlets in the bathroom or near the kitchen sink, what they heck is going on with you lot?
wink_smile.gif
They use 240 volt power over there and we just use 120 volt. If we used 240 volt, Americans would be dropping like flies.

wink_smile.gif

Madeleine said:
...why, if WE, some of the loopiest people on the planet, can manage to not kill ourselves too often with electrical outlets in the bathroom or near the kitchen sink, what they heck is going on with you lot?
wink_smile.gif
They use 240 volt power over there and we just use 120 volt. If we used 240 volt, Americans would be dropping like flies.
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
wink_smile.gif
You got that right.
DH laughs at it here, please, a little tickle, he says. Once he got a nice shock working on 240 volts and blew him across the room. In Australia the outlets are controlled by an on/off switch - as Highland John mentions the same there in Scotland. Makes sense! There are also drains in the floors of bathrooms AND laundry rooms (another MAKES SENSE!) wish we had that here in the states, no clue why we don't...other than commercial kitchens and others who do, residential don't.

wink_smile.gif

Madeleine said:
wink_smile.gif
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
wink_smile.gif
You got that right.
DH laughs at it here, please, a little tickle, he says. Once he got a nice shock working on 240 volts and blew him across the room. In Australia the outlets are controlled by an on/off switch - as Highland John mentions the same there in Scotland. Makes sense! There are also drains in the floors of bathrooms AND laundry rooms (another MAKES SENSE!) wish we had that here in the states, no clue why we don't...other than commercial kitchens and others who do, residential don't.
My best guess about drains in the floors as you are talking about a sloped for to drain off liquids.
Garages, roads etc have those.
Not quite sure what you are talking about.
Code wise, I would assume a sloped floor would be a hazard to people who think they are walking on a flat plane.

wink_smile.gif

Madeleine said:
wink_smile.gif
I doubt that but maybe in this day and age of legalized stupidity.
Did you ever wonder how people lived and didn't amputate all their fingers off when the first table fans only had basically four wires on them?
Guess if you stick your hand in a hot fan (or fan in this case) you learned.
I spent 20 yrs. putting in light screens etc. in the automotive industry so that people couldn't hurt themselves.
My conclusion: You can't fix stupid.

wink_smile.gif

Madeleine said:
wink_smile.gif
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
wink_smile.gif
You got that right.
My best guess about drains in the floors as you are talking about a sloped for to drain off liquids.
Code wise, I would assume a sloped floor would be a hazard to people who think they are walking on a flat plane.
Colleen848 said:
Yes it is a drain, it's not a guess, it is how they are built and wisely for water leaks (like we have here when water can come through the ceiling due to a guest) and also makes it nice to clean the tile floor.

Serious Darwin Award winner. If you don't know what a darwin award is it is where people who are as stupid as this get themselves killed thus preventing them from having children and therefore leading to the evolution of man! whether you believe in Darwin or not the principle of weeding out people who are that dumb may not be a bad thing!
Unfortunately, by the time they win the Darwin, they have already propagated. There is no cure for stupidity other than death, and it is illegal to "help them out".

Floor drains: we have them in the bathrooms and science laboratories at my day job. One problem is that the traps dry out and then these room starts to stink, so I have to go around and pour some water down the drains to re-fill the traps. When the building was designed, there was talk about fitting automatic watering devices to these drains, but I guess that never got implemented.

wink_smile.gif

Madeleine said:
wink_smile.gif
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
wink_smile.gif
You got that right.
110V gives you a jolt, 220V gives you death!
I want drains in my floors, it's ingenious and then you can use a squeegee on the floor instead of a mop that simply spreads the dirt thinner and thinner.
We had a guest with an immersion heater (spoon) from France. She didn't understand why when she plugged it in with the transformer it wouldn't boil her cup of water. It's the voltage... to boil a cup of water would take 4 hours, just not enough wattage to do it.
0a84f62a-524b-4942-a8c2-a4262683c49b.jpg

wink_smile.gif

Madeleine said:
wink_smile.gif
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
wink_smile.gif
You got that right.
I want drains in my floors, it's ingenious and then you can use a squeegee on the floor instead of a mop that simply spreads the dirt thinner and thinner.
We had a guest with an immersion heater (spoon) from France. She didn't understand why when she plugged it in with the transformer it wouldn't boil her cup of water. It's the voltage... to boil a cup of water would take 4 hours, just not enough wattage to do it.

We've had complaints from Euro guests that our hot water kettle takes too long to boil because of the electricity being different. Good grief people, sit down and relax already. Or, pour out a cup of water and put it in the micro.

wink_smile.gif

Madeleine said:
wink_smile.gif
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
wink_smile.gif
You got that right.

We've had complaints from Euro guests that our hot water kettle takes too long to boil because of the electricity being different. Good grief people, sit down and relax already. Or, pour out a cup of water and put it in the micro.
Madeleine said:
True! Takes way long in comparison. Okay now I want a cuppa, bye!

Back