No dairy?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a guest in for four nights - when my husband checked her in, she announced that she is allergic to "skim milk" -- she can only have full fat milk or cream. I've heard of everything and have a daughter who is lactose intolerant and a husband who is both lactose and gluten intolerant so I'm typically up on all of this. I truly believe she just wants to be sure that I made everything extra rich while she's here. Anyone encounter this before?.
With lactose intolerance, there is just the slightest difference between the lactose sugar in skim milk and whole milk, like .4 so it's almost impossible for someone to be able to chug cream in their coffee and all of my homemade foods but they can't have a little skim milk. So this morning she had a parfait full of whole milk yogurt along with her coffee with milk. When she was told we were making her scrambled eggs because the cheddar bacon waffles contained fat free sour cream (all I had) that's made from skim milk, she said -- Oh I'd so much rather have the waffle, don't worry about me I can have it. Again, not a lactose intolerance but a preference. Drives me crazy because she's the reason that innkeepers don't want to believe the guests when they list their real allergies.
MtnKeeper said:
Drives me crazy because she's the reason that innkeepers don't want to believe the guests when they list their real allergies.
So true!!
Right now I have someone who is severely allergic to eggs and all things poultry. I know that it's not just a preference because of my questioning him about pastries. Nope, no type of pastry if it has any egg. Nobody turns down my pastries!
For him, I happily adjust his breakfast. It's the others I resent.
There's hope yet! My dad used to get violently sick if he ate anything with eggs or anything even cooked in the same pan with the eggs. Couldn't even get the flu shot.
He told me the other day that after 80+ years he thinks he's over it.

Have a guest in for four nights - when my husband checked her in, she announced that she is allergic to "skim milk" -- she can only have full fat milk or cream. I've heard of everything and have a daughter who is lactose intolerant and a husband who is both lactose and gluten intolerant so I'm typically up on all of this. I truly believe she just wants to be sure that I made everything extra rich while she's here. Anyone encounter this before?.
With lactose intolerance, there is just the slightest difference between the lactose sugar in skim milk and whole milk, like .4 so it's almost impossible for someone to be able to chug cream in their coffee and all of my homemade foods but they can't have a little skim milk. So this morning she had a parfait full of whole milk yogurt along with her coffee with milk. When she was told we were making her scrambled eggs because the cheddar bacon waffles contained fat free sour cream (all I had) that's made from skim milk, she said -- Oh I'd so much rather have the waffle, don't worry about me I can have it. Again, not a lactose intolerance but a preference. Drives me crazy because she's the reason that innkeepers don't want to believe the guests when they list their real allergies.
MtnKeeper said:
Drives me crazy because she's the reason that innkeepers don't want to believe the guests when they list their real allergies.
So true!!
Right now I have someone who is severely allergic to eggs and all things poultry. I know that it's not just a preference because of my questioning him about pastries. Nope, no type of pastry if it has any egg. Nobody turns down my pastries!
Breakfast Diva said:
MtnKeeper said:
So true!!
what did you give them?

MtnKeeper said:
So true!!
Breakfast Diva said:
MtnKeeper said:
So true!!
what did you give them?
No egg is really quite an easy dietary restriction to work with. He also has severe allergy to most nuts, melons & kiwi. His wife is vegetarian
This morning I made fresh peach smoothies, a croissant breakfast sandwich I adjusted for both guests. Instead of ham, she got asparagus & roasted yellow pepper. Both got homemade granola and she got the pecan pie muffins which recipe is here on the forum.
I also received a lovely note from them after breakfast thanking me for the wonderful breakfast and adjusting the foods for them.
Very appreciative and that makes a HUGE difference in my attitude!

Regarding the "skim milk" issue, our daughter-in-law developed a progressive lactose intolerance. She initially couldn't tolerate the fat-free or reduced-fat milks, but could tolerate full-fat milk and half and half. But eventually, all milk became verboten. As someone noted, the reduced-fat milks contain a higher percentage of lactose, unbuffered by fat.

Interestingly, lactose intolerant people usually can tolerate dishes that have milk as an incorporated ingredient. The reason is that the lactose is broken down into simpler sugars by the cooking. My mom was completely lactose intolerant--this before the days of "alternative milk," and I don't remember her ever drinking anything but buttermilk.
I'm pretty sure the "allergic to dairy" is sometimes just a dodge because people don't understand the nature of lactose intolerance. Nevertheless, I take their restrictions at face value.

It's the weirdest thing. We can go weeks without having any food issues whatsoever. Hell, these folks would eat snakes. Then its OMG! We can't eat anything! I posted on Facebook last week regarding the long list of restrictions that showed up. I assured people that, given enough time, I could come up with a breakfast that didn't involve food.
--Tom

for all the free: Dairy free, lactose free, egg free, gluten free, wheat free, pork free, meat free, fruit free, bee free...
[h3]
BYOB (Bring your own breakfast)
shades_smile.gif
[/h3]

for all the free: Dairy free, lactose free, egg free, gluten free, wheat free, pork free, meat free, fruit free, bee free...
[h3]
shades_smile.gif
[/h3].
Joey Bloggs said:
[h3]
shades_smile.gif
[/h3]
thumbs_up.gif

Back