Not ending year on high note!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnKeeper

Reaction score
We do elopements but not on very busy weekends. Someone called a couple months ago wanting elopement for tonight. We do fireworks display and husband can't do that setup and photography for elopement as well so we told her no. Without us knowing, she booked the weekend online and after checking in told my husband that 2 friends and her JP would be here in a few minutes as they were going to get married in their room and he'd have to let them in. Sneaky, sneaky way to get what you want and of course she got it without paying our typical fees! Wishing her nothing but happiness on her wedding night of course!

Look at it this way - starting their married life off with a lie means they'll never be back for their first anniversary.
As long as you are not expected to do anything, it's not a lot different than someone having friends drop by to pick them up for dinner.
If you have a rule about non-registered people in the house tell them they can get married outside in the parking lot.

Ouch! Getting married in your room sounds dreadful. Oh well! I'm with Mort- if there's no extra work, enjoy the night.

Look at it this way - starting their married life off with a lie means they'll never be back for their first anniversary.
As long as you are not expected to do anything, it's not a lot different than someone having friends drop by to pick them up for dinner.
If you have a rule about non-registered people in the house tell them they can get married outside in the parking lot..
We do state no unregistered guests allowed. It's the point she did it to get what she wanted when she was told no. I truly hate sneaky people and those who lie. My two pet peeves!

If you have a rule about non-registered people in the house tell them they can get married outside in the parking lot..
We do state no unregistered guests allowed. It's the point she did it to get what she wanted when she was told no. I truly hate sneaky people and those who lie. My two pet peeves!
Okay shoot me but here is a positive take on it. This may be the one moment they have to get married. After all, it's an elopement. Maybe she would have paid if it was possible, but since it wasn't available, they just figured they would do it on their own and call it good. If you only have one shot and they like your place, well, you do what ya gotta do.
Could have been sneaky- could have just been circumstance.

Okay shoot me but here is a positive take on it. This may be the one moment they have to get married. After all, it's an elopement. Maybe she would have paid if it was possible, but since it wasn't available, they just figured they would do it on their own and call it good. If you only have one shot and they like your place, well, you do what ya gotta do.
Wanted a New Year's wedding and had months to plan. So it wasn't their only opportunity as they had months of time - again just sneaky that's why she did it in her room because she'd have to pay to use any of the common spaces -- she probably wasn't going to tell us and just have them sneak in but then when she found out our doors are always locked and they all couldn't get in when they arrived, she told my husband so he could let them in.

Wanted a New Year's wedding and had months to plan. So it wasn't their only opportunity as they had months of time - again just sneaky that's why she did it in her room because she'd have to pay to use any of the common spaces -- she probably wasn't going to tell us and just have them sneak in but then when she found out our doors are always locked and they all couldn't get in when they arrived, she told my husband so he could let them in.
Suppose so.. hopefully their stay is a brief one.

Only 2 nights. I'm heading down to setup for fireworks and after party to celebrate new year and I'm leaving this all in 2014. I'm positive 2015 is going to be the best ever as we're building a new house next door and moving out, making our bedroom the ultimate guest room. My own house again with no staff in it ever, more income = happy lady! Happy New Year everyone!

Update - hubby just told me he spoke to her JP after to get her card and let her know we plan all elopements and she needed to be in touch with us if this happens again. She said she asked bride if it was all set and OK with innkeepers and she had told her it was all set, no need for her to call us. Even lied to the JP.

I'm sure they had a "we'll show them" attitude as they set this up. Certainly you'd be within your rights to shut this down, but then you'd be the bad guy (when it's really THEM who are the bad ones here).
Makes me think of restaurants charging a corkage fee for people who bring their own wine. It's your property. You get to control what goes on.

What a way to start their married life. Some day they will look back and regret the way they did it.
Annoying and dishonest, yes, but since you didn't have to do anything just let it float off your back and look forward to a wonderful new year. Your separate living space will be so freeing for you!

What a way to start their married life. Some day they will look back and regret the way they did it.
Annoying and dishonest, yes, but since you didn't have to do anything just let it float off your back and look forward to a wonderful new year. Your separate living space will be so freeing for you!.
Considering the way they started, it will be interesting how long they last.

If they paid for the room and you didn't have to do a thing for them other than usual, I don't see a problem here. Just forget about it. Yes, they were sneaky but other than officiant & the friends being there just for the wedding. No big deal. Don't worry about it. They didn't benefit from it ...some wedding to remember...LOL! cheapo's

ah, well. they really REALLY wanted fireworks on their wedding night. it's not so much fun to be married in a guestroom, is it? although i suppose it's an awesome room with a view. with two friends and a jp. and 'I got what I wanted' attitude ... kind of sad.
try not to think about it too much and enjoy your night.
Happy New Year!
ps i didn't know you had fireworks! how awesome is that?

Only 2 nights. I'm heading down to setup for fireworks and after party to celebrate new year and I'm leaving this all in 2014. I'm positive 2015 is going to be the best ever as we're building a new house next door and moving out, making our bedroom the ultimate guest room. My own house again with no staff in it ever, more income = happy lady! Happy New Year everyone!
Happy New Year to all of us!

Our insurer forbids us from letting anyone on site that is not a registered guest unless we are in their company, for instance 'showing' the property to perspective guests.
Or policy states that we are not a public hotel, but a private residence operating as transient lodging and they will not cover any damage, theft or injury involving non-registered guests.
Even if that isn't the case with your policy, you could use that as an excuse. I sure don't want someone damaging one of our Lincoln or Roosevelt pieces and then find out I get nothing from insurance.

Just forget all negative that happened that year.. Make a good start for this new year with all the happiness.
  • The fantastic thing about progressive jackpots would be the fact that each and each pokie game may be really unique.

Back