Not The Email To Start My Day!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnKeeper

Reaction score
I read email this morning waiting for breakfast to cook and got one from a guest who checked out 2 days ago. She said she had a great stay but wanted to point out the following to me -- 1) she was upset that I put a note on the door to the deck that read "Early Risers - many guests sleep in so please keep this in mind when going onto the deck in the morning. If you can reach back and help the door close lightly that would be appreciated." I've been meaning to put this note up for 6 months but something else always get my attention. See we had to put door closers on the house because guests were leaving the doors open at night. Twice last winter woke up to our living room/dining room being 40 degrees or less and frost on the wood floors. Well her husband was up at 5am and kept going onto the deck (5x) to take pictures. EVERY time he let the door slam closed behind him. So later that day I put up the note as it was fresh in my mind. She even states that she came out of her room and told him to hold the door because it woke her. But she felt "scolded" that I put up the note while they were still here.
Two, our reservation system asks for birthday/anniversary dates for marketing purposes. I tried once before to get it removed but it wasn't an option then. She said since she said it was his 60th birthday that she expected "at least a hug, if not a gift". First off, since when are innkeepers required to hug guests and I would never just hug someone - some people don't like to be touched. Secondly, almost everyone staying with us is here for a special occasion and I'd be broke giving everyone a gift - let alone during busy time I can't keep track of them. I called our res system this morning and they will remove it from my screens (I don't market for birthdays and anniversaries so I don't need the info nor do I want guests assuming that I will give them a gift). I've done many special things for guests - just last night a couple was passing me from lighting a fire in the fire pit. She said they were going to make smores. Well I had just used a Duraflame to start it quickly because i had to pickup my son from drivers ed in 10 minutes. So I told her to hold on - I ran in and toasted perfect marshmallows on graham crackers in my toaster oven and brought them out and they just had to add their chocolate bars. She was so happy. I then raced up to get my son. Above and beyond but that's what hospitality is!

I think I would write back and point out that it was due to her husbands inconsideration that prompted you to put the notice up so maybe her sense of being "scolded" was not misplaced.
And surely it is for close family and friends to give gifts on a birthday, not for the owner of a business from whom they happen to be purchasing services from on that day.
But then I haven't had a day off for 6 weeks so I'm a bit grumpy.

Oh, dear. Well ... it's too late to not post the note while they were there. On occasion guests do have to be reminded about the noise. It was a gentle reminder but firm.
Good to get that question about 'special occasion' off your reservation form. I used to leave a small cake and card in rooms for anniversarys and birthdays, not once did I get a thank you. not once. In a marketing seminar I read that free has little to no value in many guests' minds. I guess that was true of my guests. The cakes and cards were not free to me to supply so I stopped. Sometimes I put a candle in a muffin, bagel, biscuit or piece of toast! at breakfast for a birthday person. But, yes, I guess they expected something special since you (the form) asked.
:(

Oh, dear. Well ... it's too late to not post the note while they were there. On occasion guests do have to be reminded about the noise. It was a gentle reminder but firm.
Good to get that question about 'special occasion' off your reservation form. I used to leave a small cake and card in rooms for anniversarys and birthdays, not once did I get a thank you. not once. In a marketing seminar I read that free has little to no value in many guests' minds. I guess that was true of my guests. The cakes and cards were not free to me to supply so I stopped. Sometimes I put a candle in a muffin, bagel, biscuit or piece of toast! at breakfast for a birthday person. But, yes, I guess they expected something special since you (the form) asked.
:(.
seashanty said:
not once did I get a thank you. not once.
That's exactly the same reason I stopped posting guests items back they left behind without obtaining the P&P first.

Someone else mentioned this a while ago. I recall the same issue, by putting that question on the form they expected something. It is the same when you go on a cruise, you wonder why they ask? But as an innkeeper you realize it is so they can up-sell to you.
SS "I used to leave a small cake and card in rooms for anniversarys and birthdays, not once did I get a thank you. not once. In a marketing seminar I read that free has little to no value in many guests' minds. I guess that was true of my guests. The cakes and cards were not free to me to supply so I stopped."
HERE HERE!
As for the door note, it was timing, and guests don't like to be treated like children, even though children would get a hiding from leaving the door open all the time, adults think they can behave worse than children and it is their prerogative.
Mtn Keeper you keep on keepin' on... they have no idea they are one in a string of dozens per week that come across your threshold, they think they are the only guests. It is the way it us for us.
regular_smile.gif

:(.
Depends. I have seen a fair number of negative reviews when things were NOT left, and were expected. Not really the anniversary-birthday thing, but things like water, cookie, whatever on checkin (etc.)

ONE - Shows the value of going around the place and putting closers on slamming doors, fixing loud toilets, sound-proofing "thin" walls, etc.
TWO - Probably not a bad idea to have something for the person who bring up that they "expected something" without giving something to everyone. Also, many businesses don't give away gifts, they give a certificate towards a future service, which may bring the person(s) or a referral back for a future date...

I agree with Temp, it was the timing. Totally understandable that the inconsiderate guy's actions reminded you of the note. Once it was put up, they knew it was aimed at him.
It's good you got your res system to remove the section asking about special occasions. We do ask about them, and like you, most of our guests are celebrating something. I bake cupcakes and freeze them, then place them in their room for arrival with a little note I print up. I go through a lot of cupcakes! We don't get that many 'thank yous' directly, but we do get a lot of comments in person and in reviews about all the attention to details we do. It's a personal decision for innkeepers and shouldn't be expected.
I hope that her sending a personal e-mail means that she got it off her chest and won't mention it in a review. It's discouraging when you're trying to make all of your guests stay a good one and it backfires on you.

I have a semi-humorous note on one door asking the guests to please close gently as slamming knocks the pictures off the wall.
I've been jolted out of bed by guests slamming that door multiple times in a row. Almost like they are doing it deliberately.
We thought about moving the entry door into the living room. Except guests don't close doors gently, they slam every door. They'd wake the whole house up.

Did you speak to the guests about the noise? If not, and you want to, I'd reply back that you're not sure what they mean. You put the note up because someone mentioned how noisy it was in the morning. Was it you?
Ah. Maybe not. Snark won't go over well.

"I'm sorry you took the note on the door personally as it was for my husband since he gets hot and get up to cool off in the middle of the night....... By the way he ate your cake as his midnight snack out on the deck and I didn't have time to make another one."
wink_smile.gif
Then send a cake in the mail with an apology from your husband. Then block the rooms for a night and go out to dinner! Everyone's happy!

Someone else mentioned this a while ago. I recall the same issue, by putting that question on the form they expected something. It is the same when you go on a cruise, you wonder why they ask? But as an innkeeper you realize it is so they can up-sell to you.
SS "I used to leave a small cake and card in rooms for anniversarys and birthdays, not once did I get a thank you. not once. In a marketing seminar I read that free has little to no value in many guests' minds. I guess that was true of my guests. The cakes and cards were not free to me to supply so I stopped."
HERE HERE!
As for the door note, it was timing, and guests don't like to be treated like children, even though children would get a hiding from leaving the door open all the time, adults think they can behave worse than children and it is their prerogative.
Mtn Keeper you keep on keepin' on... they have no idea they are one in a string of dozens per week that come across your threshold, they think they are the only guests. It is the way it us for us.
regular_smile.gif
Glad to see you are back! You were missed greatly!!!!!

I did send her back a nice email explaining why we need the closers that she recommended we take off and that the sign wasn't directed exclusively to her husband, that I've been meaning to put it up for months -- it's for all early risers now and in the future as I want to be sure that everyone has a wonderful time away when they stay with us. She sent back a nice email and said she fully understood and she had been upset by her husband doing it over and over again. Which makes me wonder why if he bothered her she felt the need to tell me they felt like they were being scolded - they obviously knew he was doing something inconsiderate. Anyway, the note is staying up so it's there when anyone checks in and then they can't feel like it's directed only to them. Had a much better day with the guests who are here and the ones who checked in today.

Back