Obvious observations from the oblivious

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have stayed at places that were soooo impersonal and where I felt that guests were a necessary evil to enable the hosts to eat. I'm sure I've had days when I've come across less than friendly but certainly not intentionally.
I think part of the charm and trick of hosting a BB is to make people feel comfortable in our homes and to ensure guests think think that we LUV our jobs (and of course we do) even when we have a million other things on the go and issues that are hard to deal with when there are strangers around..
I hear what you are saying. These guests we spent over an hour with on a tour of our grounds. I think it was more a case of familiarity breeds contempt.

I have stayed at places that were soooo impersonal and where I felt that guests were a necessary evil to enable the hosts to eat. I'm sure I've had days when I've come across less than friendly but certainly not intentionally.
I think part of the charm and trick of hosting a BB is to make people feel comfortable in our homes and to ensure guests think think that we LUV our jobs (and of course we do) even when we have a million other things on the go and issues that are hard to deal with when there are strangers around..
That was well put Wendy! You do have to keep that in the front of your door; the reason why you do what you do.
Hopefully for most it is because they love it. Even if there are a milion other things to do, when that stranger/guest is in your presense, it is all you have to do and all you should be doing.

Guests having just had breakfast with 12 other guests and are now getting ready to check-out. They see the other guests' cars are gone and they proceed to say, 'Wow, it's only 10 AM and everyone is gone. You get the rest of the day off, not bad. I have to work until at least 5 PM. Hey, hon, maybe we should do this B&B thing.'.
Hubs favorite answer "Yep, nothing to do the rest of the day but sit here and count my money!"
Idiots.

Guests having just had breakfast with 12 other guests and are now getting ready to check-out. They see the other guests' cars are gone and they proceed to say, 'Wow, it's only 10 AM and everyone is gone. You get the rest of the day off, not bad. I have to work until at least 5 PM. Hey, hon, maybe we should do this B&B thing.'.
Hubs favorite answer "Yep, nothing to do the rest of the day but sit here and count my money!"
Idiots.
You know, I think we should consider it a compliment that guests think we can just relax when they leave. We've made them feel that our job is effortless. We do not appear stressed or too busy for them.
There are times when I've itemized what I have to do when guests leave and they say "Wow, but you make it look so easy." That's exactly what I want my guests to think. When guests say "you really must love doing this" I always tell them yes, I really do. They say "It shows." That's what we should be aiming for I think. Sometimes I'd like to tell them what I really think on days when I'm exhausted or not so fond of them or .... . LOL!!!!!

My...we actually have a MORTGAGE? WOW! seems like they are jelous of you loving your job! "You can't cure STUPID".,,,

Crystal B ... i keep coming back to your post. would really like to read the whole blog because i don't understand. you should be ashamed ?? so odd ..

WHAT???? Did you read the blog? What was the context of that statement. How dare they? Of course you have a mortgage to pay!! I'd wager at least 90% do too. I don't understand.
tounge_smile.gif
They accused us of having a family. And a life. I think they were mostly mad because they thought they booked someplace with multiple units in it and then acted like it should be as quiet as a Zen retreat 24 hours a day. We do make noise at appropriate times during the day !
Nah.. They're just mad because THEY have to leave their house to pay their mortgage! I am sorry that you had such idiots stay with you.

A guest tells me on check-out (2 night stay) that they found it difficult to wash their hair and rinse under the tub spout. He thinks the room should have a shower. I take him back into the bathroom where I point out the 3 shower curtains, shower handle and the shower head.
It's a double jacuzzi tub with a shower!
Edited: Thanks for the comments on the tub. I removed the pic to keep my undercover identity.
shades_smile.gif

Back