Offering Live Chat

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
I was reading today that there are several free live text chat plug-ins available for WordPress. This got me to thinking that might be a good thing to offer on my website, to answer questions from people who don't want to phone or wait for an e-mail response, but I can't find one with the features I'd like to have:
  • Customizable as to where the "Live Chat" link appears on my pages, and what it looks like.
  • Easy to turn on and off, depending on whether I'm available or not (and take people to my contact webform when I'm off line).
    Several of them are active on your site all the time, unless you go through a few steps to go into WP settings and deactivate it.
    Others let you set a daily schedule of when you're available or not.
    I'd just like an easy way, like a button on the chat link that only I see, to show I'm online and available when I'm working at the computer anyway and wouldn't mind the interaction, but easy to turn it to "offline" when I'm busy, or away from the computer.
  • Free, or free trial so I could make sure I like it before I have to pay any money.
If anybody finds one they like, please share the info!

I was thinking you just might want to talk to us, O well
wink_smile.gif
HA!

And I thought you were going to spend the $19 a month to have an agent there to chat with.

Oh, we have some real Thursday afternoon smarties around here!

We'll test the system for you....I think we have enough people here!!!!!!

Well, I do like the idea. It is one step closer to live. I was trying to think what happens when it is there but not active. Don't like that. Would be better if it was not visible unless it were on. Might be good for you since you are less impacted by the innkeeping side of things.

wink_smile.gif
HA!.
Ice said:
wink_smile.gif
HA!
haha, me too.
I like the idea. I use that feature quite a bit on websites. I like it. Keep us posted

That seems like a cool idea, but I'm afraid that I would forget to turn it offline and get up from the computer. If I could forward it to my cell phone, though....hmmm.
C

That seems like a cool idea, but I'm afraid that I would forget to turn it offline and get up from the computer. If I could forward it to my cell phone, though....hmmm.
C.
ChrisandShelley said:
If I could forward it to my cell phone, though....hmmm.
C
A few of them do have cell phone apps. More and more people don't like to talk on the phone or e-mail. Ideally, when you're offline the website "live chat" link would change to "contact us" and just take them to your usual "contact us" page.

Live chat should be used with caution. As others have said, should the button not hide itself when you are not online it could have a negative reaction from potential guests. There are many free services around. I have used Smartsupp myself. Although I've only used their free package.
One feature to keep in mind (I don't think Smartsupp provide it) is the ability to reply to chat users using a smartphone. Some providers allow this and it would make being online a lot easier.
All in all, live chat provides a great addition to any website, assuming chat representatives can be online. If not, the button should be hidden. Many guests will still prefer phone or email though.

Live chat should be used with caution. As others have said, should the button not hide itself when you are not online it could have a negative reaction from potential guests. There are many free services around. I have used Smartsupp myself. Although I've only used their free package.
One feature to keep in mind (I don't think Smartsupp provide it) is the ability to reply to chat users using a smartphone. Some providers allow this and it would make being online a lot easier.
All in all, live chat provides a great addition to any website, assuming chat representatives can be online. If not, the button should be hidden. Many guests will still prefer phone or email though.

C.
ChrisandShelley said:
C
A few of them do have cell phone apps. More and more people don't like to talk on the phone or e-mail. Ideally, when you're offline the website "live chat" link would change to "contact us" and just take them to your usual "contact us" page.
I just used the live chat feature on Shortstack. We are considering them to help manage our SM campaign. The box floated into the center and gave me the opportunity to talk with someone right at the moment I was feeling completely clueless. It went well and the feedback I got was honest IMO. No hard sell. questions to see if they were a good fit for us. In some ways they are, in some ways we will need to do a few things to get more out of what they offer. Final verdict- the live chat worked.

C.
ChrisandShelley said:
C
I just used the live chat feature on Shortstack. We are considering them to help manage our SM campaign. The box floated into the center and gave me the opportunity to talk with someone right at the moment I was feeling completely clueless. It went well and the feedback I got was honest IMO. No hard sell. questions to see if they were a good fit for us. In some ways they are, in some ways we will need to do a few things to get more out of what they offer. Final verdict- the live chat worked.
happykeeper said:
Final verdict- the live chat worked.
I've used live chat about 10 times over the last 10 years. I've been generally pleased, as I got a solution to my needs on the spot. Occasionally I can tell they are hopping amongst several clients at the same time, as there are unexplained delays in getting responses, but on the whole a good experience that's better than waiting on hold on the phone. Plus it gives the opportunity to get things in writing, and to copy/paste things in.
Still haven't decided if I'll pursue it for my own website, but it's probably worth a try.

C.
ChrisandShelley said:
C
happykeeper said:
I've used live chat about 10 times over the last 10 years. I've been generally pleased, as I got a solution to my needs on the spot. Occasionally I can tell they are hopping amongst several clients at the same time, as there are unexplained delays in getting responses, but on the whole a good experience that's better than waiting on hold on the phone. Plus it gives the opportunity to get things in writing, and to copy/paste things in.
Still haven't decided if I'll pursue it for my own website, but it's probably worth a try.
I HATE when there are these pregnant pauses as I type quickly and I just start to fill the space. And then of course, you find that some look for keywords instead of listening to the problem, so you have to ask them if they actually read what you wrote, because they didn't answer your question.

C.
ChrisandShelley said:
C
happykeeper said:
I HATE when there are these pregnant pauses as I type quickly and I just start to fill the space. And then of course, you find that some look for keywords instead of listening to the problem, so you have to ask them if they actually read what you wrote, because they didn't answer your question.
OR as I am typing the answer to the question they asked, they ask another question - totally off track of the question or statement I just sent 2 minutes ago.

My son (not me) has an online business site and he uses firehose chat. If someone wants live chat, he gets a text on his cellphone and answers. If he doesn't want to be available, he lists hours when live chat is not an option - like in the middle of the night. It's been great for him as he can answer technical questions that make the difference between sale or the customer going elsewhere. And he switches his availability time when there's a sale or something happening that affects his business.
So ... I can't vouch for it personally. You can try the free version (the web guru's would know best how to do this) and see if you like it or not.
I think it's a great feature and use it myself as a customer.
When someone makes up their mind to buy something, to book a room or travel, whatever ... they often want answers immediately. Sometimes those answers are right on the site and they just don't see them.

My son (not me) has an online business site and he uses firehose chat. If someone wants live chat, he gets a text on his cellphone and answers. If he doesn't want to be available, he lists hours when live chat is not an option - like in the middle of the night. It's been great for him as he can answer technical questions that make the difference between sale or the customer going elsewhere. And he switches his availability time when there's a sale or something happening that affects his business.
So ... I can't vouch for it personally. You can try the free version (the web guru's would know best how to do this) and see if you like it or not.
I think it's a great feature and use it myself as a customer.
When someone makes up their mind to buy something, to book a room or travel, whatever ... they often want answers immediately. Sometimes those answers are right on the site and they just don't see them..
seashanty said:
Sometimes those answers are right on the site and they just don't see them.
Amen!

Back