on the pillow

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldcharm

Reaction score
Do you put anything 'on the pillow' after you clean a room? Chocolates? Candy? A nice note? If so, what works well... what is appreciated? How often do you do it? Every time you clean/refresh? The last night of their stay? On their arrival day?

Chocolates every day they are here, diff ones each day.
I did see a really neat thing last year where the Inn had printed up these little "coasters" for lack of a better term, from the innkeepers and they placed the chocolates on those each day on the bed. I thought it was neat. I of course, never implemented it, but liked it.
This would be the place, IF you did have a gratuity envelope, to put a small "Hope you have everything you need..." blah blah blah and put on the bed or nightstand like hotels do.

I did see a really neat thing last year where the Inn had printed up these little "coasters" for lack of a better term, from the innkeepers and they placed the chocolates on those each day on the bed. I thought it was neat. I of course, never implemented it, but liked it.
This would be the place, IF you did have a gratuity envelope, to put a small "Hope you have everything you need..." blah blah blah and put on the bed or nightstand like hotels do..
Joe Bloggs said:
This would be the place, IF you did have a gratuity envelope, to put a small "Hope you have everything you need..." blah blah blah and put on the bed or nightstand like hotels do.
I seem to remember something from another thread about a guest not seeing the chocolate and sleeping on it only to have a big mess on the bed and in the guests hair....yuk! Maybe M&Ms would work better.
Do you offer a turndown service or is the chocolate already in place when they arrive?

The Thurston House puts out a little printed out philosophical quote (if I remember correctly) on the pillow with the chocolate. That's a nice touch. So is the weather forecast.
We have the gratuity envelopes but don't put them on the bed. They are tucked behind the ice bucket/carafe set up on the dressers.

This would be the place, IF you did have a gratuity envelope, to put a small "Hope you have everything you need..." blah blah blah and put on the bed or nightstand like hotels do..
What kind of chocolates? Speciality? or the little mini size chocolates you can buy at the superstore?
There is a gentleman that makes local chocolates, but I think it would cost me a dollar per room. It seems like an added expense with no real return??

I put something different out every night when I do turn-down..
The Tipsy Butler said:
I put something different out every night when I do turn-down.
I was thinking of you yesterday, I zipped into a local mart to buy a hairdryer - I found one room had a dead one (I never check them either!) Anyway, I saw Smarties BUBBLE GUM! In my mind I remember a story about you putting smarties and small toys out for a child guest. Probably remembering it wrong. But I thought HOW COOL! Smarties gum!

The Thurston House puts out a little printed out philosophical quote (if I remember correctly) on the pillow with the chocolate. That's a nice touch. So is the weather forecast.
We have the gratuity envelopes but don't put them on the bed. They are tucked behind the ice bucket/carafe set up on the dressers..
muirford said:
We have the gratuity envelopes but don't put them on the bed. They are tucked behind the ice bucket/carafe set up on the dressers.
Yes, I didn't mean put the env on the bed, but just some of the same thing printed on them, a little vacation quote and then "hope you found everything you needed to make your stay pleasant" etc A good wishes sort of thing.

The Tipsy Butler said:
I was thinking of you yesterday, I zipped into a local mart to buy a hairdryer - I found one room had a dead one (I never check them either!) Anyway, I saw Smarties BUBBLE GUM! In my mind I remember a story about you putting smarties and small toys out for a child guest. Probably remembering it wrong. But I thought HOW COOL! Smarties gum!
That is cool ..... but knowing what kids do with gum I'd probably resist :) .
I pick up stuff for the kids when I see it. Pop rocks, pez holder and candies - that sort of thing.

When I know I have a couple (as opposed to sisters, mother/daughter,girlfriends) booked in, I have silk rose petals and Herseys kisses scattered on the bed. Otherwise, I have a dish of kisses and other chocolates in a small bowl on the dresser (also a basket with bananas, apples, and snacks - always). Guests have remarked about how nice the petals and chocolates were - I respond that lovers always need kisses.
I do not do "turn-down" and only enter the room if maid service is requested. It seems to work for me so far but I have only been doing it for 13 years.

When I know I have a couple (as opposed to sisters, mother/daughter,girlfriends) booked in, I have silk rose petals and Herseys kisses scattered on the bed. Otherwise, I have a dish of kisses and other chocolates in a small bowl on the dresser (also a basket with bananas, apples, and snacks - always). Guests have remarked about how nice the petals and chocolates were - I respond that lovers always need kisses.
I do not do "turn-down" and only enter the room if maid service is requested. It seems to work for me so far but I have only been doing it for 13 years..
..... and that of course it what's makes a B&B so wonderful. Every place has its own little surprises. The anti-cookie-cutter experience :)

DW and I visited a B&B in Charleston that at night, besides the turn down, left two crystal cordials of sherry and some benne wafers. Benne wafers are a little low-country style sesame seed cookie indigenous to the area. It was quite elegant.

We don't do a turn down service, but next to the bed on the table we have little heart shape crystal bowls and we put 2 individually wrapped chocolate mint wafers. We refresh these each day of their stay.

We don't do a turn down service, but next to the bed on the table we have little heart shape crystal bowls and we put 2 individually wrapped chocolate mint wafers. We refresh these each day of their stay.

We don't do a turn down service, but next to the bed on the table we have little heart shape crystal bowls and we put 2 individually wrapped chocolate mint wafers. We refresh these each day of their stay..
Breakfast Diva said:
We do something similar. We have oak leaf shaped bowls in keeping with our theme.

The Tipsy Butler said:
I pick up stuff for the kids when I see it. Pop rocks, pez holder and candies - that sort of thing.
The Tipsy Butler said:
The same reason I didn't buy the gum. But I wanted to!

The Tipsy Butler said:
The Tipsy Butler said:
The same reason I didn't buy the gum. But I wanted to!
DEPARTING gift for kids.

I did turn down every night with Ghiardelli Chocoloates on the Pillow. I also put a dish of homemade cookies in each guest room. I also provided dessert in each room every night. All Complimentary. Guests loved it!

Back