One guest room only

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmptyNest

Reaction score
We are having a rash of one bedroom B and b's opening in our town. Is anyone else experiencing this? It just seems too strange to me to go to all the zoning efforts etc. Guess I should be glad they are doing it legally. Seems like it is time to bring back the old "tourist home" designation.
tounge_smile.gif

It does seem like a lot of work. Maybe they all realized they can make a killing renting a room. ;-)

If it is just the tax deductions they are in for a surprise - the IRS looks real hard at small B & Bs.

I will say, tho, that my worst room rental does bring in $15k each year. So, if I was in a touristy area and i wanted a little extra money for about 3 months' work, I might do it.
It would cover the property tax. Or a really nice vacation.

We have been getting flyers and mailings from Air suggesting we rent out rooms. Upper Cape Cod. Lots of people do. This old house I live in doesn't have enough bathrooms to make it work ... if another mailing comes, I'll make a copy and post it here. They keep saying the potential for income is there, even with regulations if you go legal.

We have been getting flyers and mailings from Air suggesting we rent out rooms. Upper Cape Cod. Lots of people do. This old house I live in doesn't have enough bathrooms to make it work ... if another mailing comes, I'll make a copy and post it here. They keep saying the potential for income is there, even with regulations if you go legal..
You are so close but so far....SS, come for a visit! You know where we are!

I will say, tho, that my worst room rental does bring in $15k each year. So, if I was in a touristy area and i wanted a little extra money for about 3 months' work, I might do it.
It would cover the property tax. Or a really nice vacation..
see where we are new rules (country wide) anything under the sharing economy ie Air you can do $6000 before you have to declare or pay tax - however if you have a lodger which is zero regulation you can take up to $14000 before declaring for tax - with one room you would make much more on a lodger than an air guest.
Lodger - no cost except a tenancy agreement which you can buy online for $10
B&B - integrated fire alarm (serviced every year), fire door on every door, landlord's gas safety certificate, insurance, food hygiene (free but inspected and have to pass) pat testing on every appliance a guest might touch, fire risk assessment, accessibility statement, PRS, PPL - and all these are annual costs. All this cost per year at least $1600
which would you do?

Back