One thing on a B&B website

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Todd I agree and I think the way the hosts post their info TELLS you a lot about them. There are plenty of egomaniacal innkeepers out there, and if you see a full page bio then you might have a clue about your stay. So for all the things we DO NOT like they are actually clues to us!

A photo gallery, but not of the rooms, I want to see the cool stuff in the area so it can help me decide how many days I want to stay..
Breakfast Diva said:
A photo gallery, but not of the rooms, I want to see the cool stuff in the area so it can help me decide how many days I want to stay.
What if the photo gallery on website has pictures of somewhere else and not the actual surroundings?
Viper said:
Breakfast Diva said:
A photo gallery, but not of the rooms, I want to see the cool stuff in the area so it can help me decide how many days I want to stay.
What if the photo gallery on website has pictures of somewhere else and not the actual surroundings?
What do you mean somewhere else? Why would you have pictures in a photo gallery of things not in your area?
Breakfast Diva said:
What do you mean somewhere else? Why would you have pictures in a photo gallery of things not in your area?
To attract tourists :)
Picutre this.. a website displaying photos of trekking/river rafting/para gliding/yoga/ nature walks "near it" when in reality, all the activities take place atleast 200Kms away, if not in altogether different geographical area/country/state !
I would rather do a bit of research on the surrounding of the B&B online/ reviews/ maps than take the website of the place as the final word.
Viper said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Picutre this.. a website displaying photos of trekking/river rafting/para gliding/yoga/ nature walks "near it" when in reality, all the activities take place atleast 200Kms away, if not in altogether different geographical area/country/state !
I would rather do a bit of research on the surrounding of the B&B online/ reviews/ maps than take the website of the place as the final word.
There are B&B's that have photos of ocean views and lighthouses and they are nowhere near the water. I get what you are saying. Obv that is nothing we are speaking of here, we are talking about things to see and do with photos. Example: a zipline - not here, but an hour away, so if you are inclined to want to fly through the air harnessed onto a cable we know a place you can do it!
I would consider side trips of 1 to 1 1/2 hours as "in your area". These are the kind of photos I'd like to see in a photo gallery...entice me to stay a few days to explore!
BD, this struck me as so funny because I just posted that I specifically DON'T like photo galleries of "the area" because so many sites have pics of stuff that aren't what I would consider "close". It reminds me that EVERYONE looks at your site differently, so even if I personally don't like something, having it on my site might prompt someone who does like it to book....so now maybe I need an expanded photo gallery
regular_smile.gif

Don Draper said:
BD, this struck me as so funny because I just posted that I specifically DON'T like photo galleries of "the area" because so many sites have pics of stuff that aren't what I would consider "close". It reminds me that EVERYONE looks at your site differently, so even if I personally don't like something, having it on my site might prompt someone who does like it to book....so now maybe I need an expanded photo gallery
regular_smile.gif
Sometimes great mind's DON"T think alike!
embaressed_smile.gif
If you make it clear that the pictures are not right around the corner, but great things you can do on day trips I think more people would consider making your place a base instead of just 1 nighters.

Now that I have wordpress on the site. I can now look for a gallery plugin to do local sites and things. Add it to the list. For a small business there sure is a lot to do in this B&B thing
regular_smile.gif

I am asking YOU, not asking what YOU DO, not asking what YOUR WEBSITE has on it.
<BEAT HEAD HERE PER USUAL>
Can people not ONLY think that the questions are because I WANT TO BUILD A WEBSITE, I am asking you personally what you have found interesting, like a photo gallery of the gardens in different seasons. etc There is ALWAYS SPACE ON A WEBSITE TO ADD MORE PAGES and add more info and add more personality. That is what it is all about, not just sell sell sell. This is YOUR PLACE, YOUR LIFE, YOUR BUSINESS. That is what I am after, things you found interesting, or piqued your interest.
If you don't go anywhere or care, then DON'T ANSWER, PLEASE.
pita.gif
I absolutely love knowing a little bit about the innkeepers. Even if it's just a blurb about their names and how they'd "love to host me"- blah, blah, blah.
But I still would like to know the name of the person I am giving my money to.
I love to see photos of the inns in different seasons. I have seen a website that has an open photo gallery and accepts guests' photos from their stay- has to be approved, of course, but from the guest standpoint, it's neat to see what they see!
I also love to know a little bit about the history of the inn. If Lincoln stayed at your place while he was traveling cross-country to accept his inauguration, I'd like to know that. If you have an old lumber baron's home, tell me. Let me know the history of your place. It interested you at one point, perhaps it'll interest me. I remember Little Blue once said that she got the kind of people to come to her that were like her. If it interested you, it might interest me, and we might get along. (We might not, but that's a different story).
Photos tell me just about everything I need to know. The exterior, interior, rooms, pets, flowers, in the summer, winter, down the driveway... a picture really is worth a thousand words!
I'm kind of surprised by guests who spend no time on the website at all, don't read their confirmation info and then walk in the door and ask, 'So, who are you?' Who do they think I am? (Yes, I do intro myself but I generally let them get in the door first!)
Which is why I think a lot of guests never even look at the website other than to find the rooms and prices and a phone number. But, still, I have tons of photos, things to do, breakfast info, etc. For those who do read. (And for SEO.)

A photo gallery, but not of the rooms, I want to see the cool stuff in the area so it can help me decide how many days I want to stay..
Breakfast Diva said:
Viper said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Viper said:
Breakfast Diva said:
There are B&B's that have photos of ocean views and lighthouses and they are nowhere near the water. I get what you are saying. Obv that is nothing we are speaking of here, we are talking about things to see and do with photos. Example: a zipline - not here, but an hour away, so if you are inclined to want to fly through the air harnessed onto a cable we know a place you can do it!
I would consider side trips of 1 to 1 1/2 hours as "in your area". These are the kind of photos I'd like to see in a photo gallery...entice me to stay a few days to explore!
regular_smile.gif

I like local photos because a lot of times the innkeepers know stuff that you can't find anywhere else. I do have to say I have one photo of me on the website and everyone wants to know how to get there so I have to change the photo- it's taken out west, so they're not going to find that here.

There is a B&B in Maine that has been on this forum that has had some excellent short lists of unique things to do. I just went and noticed the website has changed drastically, possibly for SEO purposes and was not as user friendly as it has been, super sized images with flash that are "not my cup of tea." But used to have a nice sidebar of TOP TENS etc for the area which I thought was SPEC-TAC-U-LAR!

OK, I cannot do just one thing. I think photos of things to do with caption or blurb of how far away from you (in time because miles means nothing - 5 miles here can take 15 minutes or more) AND I also like the idea of knowing the interests/hobbies of the innkeeper not in detail but perhaps a little because that means they will know the best places nearby for that interest if it is also my interest. Example - history buff will know the sites/re-enactments/museums or jazz will know where (if any) the jazz clubs are......

Back