oops Double Booked rambling story but ends well

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anon Inn

Reaction score
DH came with me on a 48 hour business trip away from and unrelated to the inn.
for a 24 hour period during the trip I didn't keep close track of the 2 different booking engines/calendars. I update them manually. It was the end of Feb. We get so few bookings at this time.
Within a 10 hour period, during meetings then a commute home (that turned into a desperate last minute tile search due to 'not in stock' when contractor came to pick up), I neglected to check email.
During those hours a month long booking on one engine came in for the apartment, then on the other engine, two shorter duration bookings came in for that same apartment for that same month. The month long guest booked first. Heartsick, because one of the shorter term stays are repeat guests, the other a multi-day stay that would net more than the full month guest.
First informed my repeat guests with apologies about the double booking. They elected to stay in the inn rather then the apartment. Then I got the bright idea.
We have an apartment in a nearby small city that I have intended to turn into a short term rental for, ahem, nearly two years. DH health issues made it difficult to get all the punch list stuff done. Slowly I've done most of it over the past months when I stayed there to finish work projects and avoid a time consuming commute. So close to done, but it had been on the to-do list for so long I was just used to it being there and not-quite-done-yet.
I got in touch with the month long guest, explained what I had done, and offered her the apt in the nearby city in exchange for the one she booked. As it has faster internet, plus washer dryer in the unit, plus is close to a river walk and restaurants - she agreed. The booking was still three days away. I then told the repeat guests that the apartment was once again available and no change would be needed to their original booking.
DH, a new hired helper and I blitzed the nearby city apartment on one day. I came the next to finish up. I thought it would be a matter of hours, but you just keep finding stuff......
I was still doing make-it-pretties when guest texted she was three hours away. Then she ended up being delayed two more hours due to a car accident just 20 miles away. But I was done. I made tea.
It was late when she got there, but expressed delight and charm at the place (whew!)
She texted 24 hours later that she was completely pleased and thanked me for the substitution.
Three days later, the repeat guests loved the apartment here, bought some add-ons, and said they thought they'd stay in the apartment for future visits. The multi-day stay guests are still a couple of weeks away.
Sometimes you just need a kick in the butt to get a job done.
We did find replacement tile. I should be able to pick it up tomorrow.
I will keep the phone on vibrate during meetings in the future.

Great story.
Moral? Always have another property close by for overflow?
Or, There's gotta be a way!

Great story.
Moral? Always have another property close by for overflow?
Or, There's gotta be a way!.
Blush.
This is the second time I've double booked. The first when changing from one reservation system to another. One booking got dropped in the changeover. That was several years ago.
Double booking is my number one nightmare. Just lucky there was a silver lining to this one.

thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

Great outcome to the story...thanks for sharing! And now you've added another possible line of revenue stream to your biz.
thumbs_up.gif

Yeah, those dang meetings...
regular_smile.gif

Great outcome to the story...thanks for sharing! And now you've added another possible line of revenue stream to your biz.
thumbs_up.gif

Yeah, those dang meetings...
regular_smile.gif
Well, four units is max at my level on Reskey, probably also the limit on what I can take care of myself re: cleaning and such.
I took some really bad pictures the night first guest came in. I'll have to take better ones before adding to RK and the website.
So not quite finished yet.

Nice work - it seems we almost never "finish" anything until there is a looming deadline! Maybe I need to try hypnosis!

Back