Open For Service

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnTheShore

Reaction score
OpenForService.org is a movement for facilitating businesses, institutions, and other organizations to let current and prospective customers, clients, and guests know that they do not discriminate -- that they serve everyone. For a $10 donation you can get a 4" diameter window/door sticker (with profits going to benefit SCORE). In addition there are graphics that can be posted on one's website, such as this:
OpenForService.png

This is a brand new movement, but their intention is to create a directory of all the businesses that join up, as well.

Just heard about these folks yesterday. Thanks for the link.

It appears that states are working to re-codify discrimination and making movements like this necessary.

So basically for $10 you get to say: "We are not racists, we are normal people"?
Oh kaaayyyy.....
In some regards, you Europeans have leap-frogged us Americans. It is a sad state we are in, that we need a non-discriminatory way to say that we do not discriminate.

So basically for $10 you get to say: "We are not racists, we are normal people"?
Oh kaaayyyy.....
In some regards, you Europeans have leap-frogged us Americans. It is a sad state we are in, that we need a non-discriminatory way to say that we do not discriminate.
unfortunately, the USA has also become militant about it, with people marching into small businesses and suing left and right because they are not ADA compliant.
Not to mention the people taking advantage of things like this. like lying that their pet is a service animal.
Would prefer we more look out for each other, rather than people picket and march against everyone for everything.

Oh kaaayyyy.....
dumitru said:
Oh kaaayyyy....
Yeah I didn't comment either. Discriminate against me if I don't put it up or sign up.
Hey this state is for lovers, we love everyone, end of story.
heart.gif
If you knock on my door, I open it and say "Come on in!"

Oh kaaayyyy.....
Well, at least racism keeps your blood pumping, never getting bored :)

Oh kaaayyyy.....
dumitru said:
Oh kaaayyyy....
Yeah I didn't comment either. Discriminate against me if I don't put it up or sign up.
heart.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
dumitru said:
Oh kaaayyyy....
heart.gif
I'm with you JB. I don't need a sign to state our hospitality they can feel it!

I wouldn't have thought this necessary, but perhaps it is, with the current controversy. Maybe B&B is an industry where there may be a public expectation of personal discrimination issues. I have actually had several prospective guests inquire. And a person purchasing a gift certificate as wedding present for a same-sex couple wanted to be sure the recipients would be welcome here. Of course; shouldn't have to say it, but maybe it would be reassuring for some people. On the web site, not a physical sign -- that is too much emphasis on the issue.

Oh kaaayyyy.....
I do not need to get on any freaking list to say I welcome everyone. I am hospitality - I even welcome Vegans and those who only eat RAW food. I welcome (gasp!) KIDS. Give me a break! What is this world coming to that I either sign up for crap like this or I am considered to be "not welcoming"? And just what/whom is it that I am saying I do not discriminate against? I welcome PEOPLE to my B & B. OK, I admit it - I discriminate against 4-legged animals as I do not permit them. But I DO welcome 2-legged animals.
Sorry, Folks, but I am sick and tired of being required to be PC and "PROVE" I am what I have always been - Open for business.
I do not care squat about the private lives of people coming here as long as it does not involve children or animals, it is none of MY business. And since I do not run around bragging that my friends are "straight" I will not demean any of my other friends by shouting to the world that they are not. It is their business. Take me as I am, people, or ignore me but stop this nonsense of requiring everyone to "Prove it!"

Oh kaaayyyy.....
I do not need to get on any freaking list to say I welcome everyone. I am hospitality - I even welcome Vegans and those who only eat RAW food. I welcome (gasp!) KIDS. Give me a break! What is this world coming to that I either sign up for crap like this or I am considered to be "not welcoming"? And just what/whom is it that I am saying I do not discriminate against? I welcome PEOPLE to my B & B. OK, I admit it - I discriminate against 4-legged animals as I do not permit them. But I DO welcome 2-legged animals.
Sorry, Folks, but I am sick and tired of being required to be PC and "PROVE" I am what I have always been - Open for business.
I do not care squat about the private lives of people coming here as long as it does not involve children or animals, it is none of MY business. And since I do not run around bragging that my friends are "straight" I will not demean any of my other friends by shouting to the world that they are not. It is their business. Take me as I am, people, or ignore me but stop this nonsense of requiring everyone to "Prove it!"
*Two legs good, four legs bad*.

Oh kaaayyyy.....
dumitru said:
Oh kaaayyyy....
This is not about racism, it's about denying service to same sex couples.

Gosh... why didn't I think of this new gimmick , could be on my new sailboat or driving my new Bently or........ just sitting here in Va running credit cards........if its not rejected your in folks !

Oh kaaayyyy.....
dumitru said:
Oh kaaayyyy....
This is not about racism, it's about denying service to same sex couples.
SS - I have never denied a room to anyone (no drunks or openly druggies so far - they WOULD be the exception) and have no intention of denying a room to anyone. But I do not feel the need to be on any "List" such as this one. As far as I am concerned, the fact that my B & B is open means I am open to rent rooms to anyone with a reservation. And I DO reserve the right to refuse service to anyone who makes me think the safety of my family or my other guests is at risk - and that has nothing to do with "categories". I choose to look at people as PEOPLE, not as labels.
I was fortunate - in my "early years" in grade school, I was exposed to people and learned they may be different, but they ARE people. From 1st grade thru 8th we had several in my class who today would be classified (and shunted off to another area - talk about discrimination) - a Downs Syndrome, several ADD, several "slow" but no one ever made fun of them or discriminated against them in any way. Years later at an all-school reunion, one of those families came and were all but jumping up & down with joy that THEY were in the memorabilia displayed, just like everyone else. Not because of what happened when in school but because of the labeling that came down through the years with labeling of their kids.

I hope folks will ruminate on this a bit.
If you are a business operating in an area that may have had some unpleasant publicity and you feel that you need to get the message out that this is not the way your business operates, this may be one way where your business can let your customer base know that. It may not fit every business or every situation, but businesses should be continually assessing if environmental factors in their market warrant a change in their marketing strategy.

If you are a business operating in an area that may have had some unpleasant publicity and you feel that you need to get the message out that this is not the way your business operates, this may be one way where your business can let your customer base know that. It may not fit every business or every situation, but businesses should be continually assessing if environmental factors in their market warrant a change in their marketing strategy..
I think the problem is, no one ever heard of this organization.
When you see BBB or Chamber of Commerce, at least it has some meaning.
This sticker seems to have no backing (no pun intended), so anyone can put it up, and there is no ramificiations. I would imagine that anyone who turns people away, contrary to prevailing law or good sense, they would get hammered on yelp, TA, and other social media/review sites.
Granted, at least it says we are open to all. But I would think we are saying this on our website, policies and other places.
A concern I might have is, the place I am planning cannot handle disabled guests on 4 of 5 floors (it is a 5 level split level). I am depending on the owner occupied 5 or less guestroom federal exemption from ADA. Although I plan to make the lowest room have the ability to handle a disabled guest. Putting "open for everyone" kind of opens the place up to a little trouble...

If you are a business operating in an area that may have had some unpleasant publicity and you feel that you need to get the message out that this is not the way your business operates, this may be one way where your business can let your customer base know that. It may not fit every business or every situation, but businesses should be continually assessing if environmental factors in their market warrant a change in their marketing strategy..
This sticker seems to have no backing (no pun intended), so anyone can put it up, and there is no ramificiations. I would imagine that anyone who turns people away, contrary to prevailing law or good sense, they would get hammered on yelp, TA, and other social media/review sites.
Granted, at least it says we are open to all. But I would think we are saying this on our website, policies and other places.
A concern I might have is, the place I am planning cannot handle disabled guests on 4 of 5 floors (it is a 5 level split level). I am depending on the owner occupied 5 or less guestroom federal exemption from ADA. Although I plan to make the lowest room have the ability to handle a disabled guest. Putting "open for everyone" kind of opens the place up to a little trouble...
It is a new non-profit organization giving their profits to SCORE.
In looking a the site, it is certainly something anyone can put up.
Some may feel they need to get this message out to their customer base more directly.
Like you, we are not ADA compliant. Not sure our particular situation warrants using this particular marketing tool, but I can certainly see where it might as I suggested above.

Didn't this just really come about from all the hub bub in IN and AR? I have never seen it before.

This comment is for all of you who feel like you don't need to shout to the word that you're accepting and open for business to anyone and everyone. Yes, you have that right, but let me give you some perspective from the other side. The recent political controversy surrounds LGBT rights. My girlfriend and I both run our Inn and both belong to the LGBT family. We have had many LGBT couples stay with us as first time B&Bers that gave a huge sigh of relief and actually vocalized that they were hesitant to book at a B&B because they did not know how they would be received (they didn't know who ran it before booking). If you don't live in our world, you have no idea what we go through. I don't want to start "that kind" of discussion, but just be aware that a list such as this might be a great travel guide for LGBT individuals as it tells us that we can shop/stay/play there with peace of mind that we will be treated with dignity and respect like human beings not like abominations! I don't ever want to be put in a position where I am denied service, kicked out, ridiculed, embarrassed (the list goes on) because of who I love. If I can avoid that by using an online directory, I have and most certainly will.

Back