Open For Service

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So basically for $10 you get to say: "We are not racists, we are normal people"?
Oh kaaayyyy.....
dumitru said:
So basically for $10 you get to say: "We are not racists, we are normal people"?
Oh kaaayyyy....
This is not about racism, it's about denying service to same sex couples.
SS - I have never denied a room to anyone (no drunks or openly druggies so far - they WOULD be the exception) and have no intention of denying a room to anyone. But I do not feel the need to be on any "List" such as this one. As far as I am concerned, the fact that my B & B is open means I am open to rent rooms to anyone with a reservation. And I DO reserve the right to refuse service to anyone who makes me think the safety of my family or my other guests is at risk - and that has nothing to do with "categories". I choose to look at people as PEOPLE, not as labels.
I was fortunate - in my "early years" in grade school, I was exposed to people and learned they may be different, but they ARE people. From 1st grade thru 8th we had several in my class who today would be classified (and shunted off to another area - talk about discrimination) - a Downs Syndrome, several ADD, several "slow" but no one ever made fun of them or discriminated against them in any way. Years later at an all-school reunion, one of those families came and were all but jumping up & down with joy that THEY were in the memorabilia displayed, just like everyone else. Not because of what happened when in school but because of the labeling that came down through the years with labeling of their kids.
i understand
i'm not saying any b&b should or should not join this list.
i just wanted to tell dumitru that although race is included in this 'open for service', same sex couples are the bigger issue - if we go to the website and read what this is about. this 'sticker' came about as push back to the recent legislation about religious freedom and denying service on the basis that providing it goes against one's religion. dumitru mentions racism twice. and i don't think denying service to a person of a different race comes under any religious freedom act.
gillumhouse said:
SS - I have never denied a room to anyone (no drunks or openly druggies so far - they WOULD be the exception) and have no intention of denying a room to anyone. But I do not feel the need to be on any "List" such as this one. As far as I am concerned, the fact that my B & B is open means I am open to rent rooms to anyone with a reservation. And I DO reserve the right to refuse service to anyone who makes me think the safety of my family or my other guests is at risk - and that has nothing to do with "categories". I choose to look at people as PEOPLE, not as labels.
I was fortunate - in my "early years" in grade school, I was exposed to people and learned they may be different, but they ARE people. From 1st grade thru 8th we had several in my class who today would be classified (and shunted off to another area - talk about discrimination) - a Downs Syndrome, several ADD, several "slow" but no one ever made fun of them or discriminated against them in any way. Years later at an all-school reunion, one of those families came and were all but jumping up & down with joy that THEY were in the memorabilia displayed, just like everyone else. Not because of what happened when in school but because of the labeling that came down through the years with labeling of their kids.

This comment is for all of you who feel like you don't need to shout to the word that you're accepting and open for business to anyone and everyone. Yes, you have that right, but let me give you some perspective from the other side. The recent political controversy surrounds LGBT rights. My girlfriend and I both run our Inn and both belong to the LGBT family. We have had many LGBT couples stay with us as first time B&Bers that gave a huge sigh of relief and actually vocalized that they were hesitant to book at a B&B because they did not know how they would be received (they didn't know who ran it before booking). If you don't live in our world, you have no idea what we go through. I don't want to start "that kind" of discussion, but just be aware that a list such as this might be a great travel guide for LGBT individuals as it tells us that we can shop/stay/play there with peace of mind that we will be treated with dignity and respect like human beings not like abominations! I don't ever want to be put in a position where I am denied service, kicked out, ridiculed, embarrassed (the list goes on) because of who I love. If I can avoid that by using an online directory, I have and most certainly will..
I hadn't really thought about that. I certainly could see where this would be beneficial for me as a traveler.
To that end, it occurs to me that this is very much like the the little rainbow flag you will find on many sites that indicates that they are gay friendly. This has been a valuable marketing tool for inns that want to make it clear they would love to have your business. In fact, I thought we had a little rainbow heart on our site, but I couldn't find it. I will have to fix that.

This comment is for all of you who feel like you don't need to shout to the word that you're accepting and open for business to anyone and everyone. Yes, you have that right, but let me give you some perspective from the other side. The recent political controversy surrounds LGBT rights. My girlfriend and I both run our Inn and both belong to the LGBT family. We have had many LGBT couples stay with us as first time B&Bers that gave a huge sigh of relief and actually vocalized that they were hesitant to book at a B&B because they did not know how they would be received (they didn't know who ran it before booking). If you don't live in our world, you have no idea what we go through. I don't want to start "that kind" of discussion, but just be aware that a list such as this might be a great travel guide for LGBT individuals as it tells us that we can shop/stay/play there with peace of mind that we will be treated with dignity and respect like human beings not like abominations! I don't ever want to be put in a position where I am denied service, kicked out, ridiculed, embarrassed (the list goes on) because of who I love. If I can avoid that by using an online directory, I have and most certainly will..
It's funny how a change of country affects such things. But then at least two B&Bs in this country and one hotel have been brought to court by the government for denying service to people in violation of discrimination laws. We also don't allow a business to hold religious beliefs unless it is actually owned by a religious establishment (and even that has limits, like a church couldn't discriminate in the hiring of a janitor, for example).

It wouldn't even occur to me that I had to worry about such a thing, nor to discriminate. We can't even tell if a couple is married because they wouldn't have the same last name, even if they were, not that I really care. What people do is their own damn business. I sell rooms, not judgement.

I hadn't really thought about that. I certainly could see where this would be beneficial for me as a traveler.
To that end, it occurs to me that this is very much like the the little rainbow flag you will find on many sites that indicates that they are gay friendly. This has been a valuable marketing tool for inns that want to make it clear they would love to have your business. In fact, I thought we had a little rainbow heart on our site, but I couldn't find it. I will have to fix that.
It is on your weddings page :)

Oh kaaayyyy.....
dumitru said:
Oh kaaayyyy....
seashanty said:
dumitru said:
Oh kaaayyyy....
We've been thinking this over as someone in the state legislature is bringing forward a similar bill. The problem lies in people condemning a whole state for the sins of a few. Why would you travel to a place where you first had to check a list before you tried to get dinner or buy a toothbrush?
If people want to claim their religion forbids them from offering services to specific human beings, they can't pick and choose. If gays are out (no pun intended) then so are straight couples who co habitate. So are adulterers. Those businesses will also have to close on their religion's holy days. Because they will also have to follow their religion's tenet to honor the Sabbath. Whatever day of the week that falls on for that religion.
If businesses are going to legally discriminate then they have to follow every rule of their religion, not just the ones they want to when they feel like it.

It is on your weddings page :)
That's great.

Oh kaaayyyy.....
dumitru said:
Oh kaaayyyy....
seashanty said:
dumitru said:
Oh kaaayyyy....
We've been thinking this over as someone in the state legislature is bringing forward a similar bill. The problem lies in people condemning a whole state for the sins of a few. Why would you travel to a place where you first had to check a list before you tried to get dinner or buy a toothbrush?
If people want to claim their religion forbids them from offering services to specific human beings, they can't pick and choose. If gays are out (no pun intended) then so are straight couples who co habitate. So are adulterers. Those businesses will also have to close on their religion's holy days. Because they will also have to follow their religion's tenet to honor the Sabbath. Whatever day of the week that falls on for that religion.
If businesses are going to legally discriminate then they have to follow every rule of their religion, not just the ones they want to when they feel like it.
Morticia said:
These are the same people who wore white hoods at one time using the excuse of religion. Honestly, if they don't know Mark 12:31, they should have it tattooed on their foreheads.

It's funny how a change of country affects such things. But then at least two B&Bs in this country and one hotel have been brought to court by the government for denying service to people in violation of discrimination laws. We also don't allow a business to hold religious beliefs unless it is actually owned by a religious establishment (and even that has limits, like a church couldn't discriminate in the hiring of a janitor, for example).

It wouldn't even occur to me that I had to worry about such a thing, nor to discriminate. We can't even tell if a couple is married because they wouldn't have the same last name, even if they were, not that I really care. What people do is their own damn business. I sell rooms, not judgement.
Unfortunately, the recent hubbub in Indiana and Arkansas empowers some business owners to believe they can discriminate.
So if you are a business owner and you do not discriminate and yet you don't feel you need to say so, you are leaving money on the table, especially if you live in an area where discrimination continues to be an issue.
As stated above, and confirmed by me, LGBT travelers do look to see if the places they are traveling to and the places they are staying are gay friendly. Stay silent, lose business. Make a small gesture to acknowledge your business is open to all, gain business. Unless of course a business fears losing business from guests who would not choose their business if they were open to all. Ouch.

Unfortunately, the recent hubbub in Indiana and Arkansas empowers some business owners to believe they can discriminate.
So if you are a business owner and you do not discriminate and yet you don't feel you need to say so, you are leaving money on the table, especially if you live in an area where discrimination continues to be an issue.
As stated above, and confirmed by me, LGBT travelers do look to see if the places they are traveling to and the places they are staying are gay friendly. Stay silent, lose business. Make a small gesture to acknowledge your business is open to all, gain business. Unless of course a business fears losing business from guests who would not choose their business if they were open to all. Ouch.
Honestly, anyone who would discriminate against you for not discriminating.. isn't someone you should worry about.

happykeeper said:
Make a small gesture to acknowledge your business is open to all, gain business. Unless of course a business fears losing business from guests who would not choose their business if they were open to all. Ouch.
That's one of the things I like about the Open For Service campaign -- it is a non-discriminatory way of declaring that we are open to all, as in how can anyone really take offense to somebody saying that they serve everyone?

We are lucky in the UK - we work on a 1 law covers the whole country done and dusted
This would come under the 3 laws - no discrimination on any form of sexual grounds of any type, skin color or nationality and last but not least religion of any type.
However do occasionally have a couple where one check's in and you never meet the other half till breakfast if at all - when they turn out to be a same sex couple - I feel bad for them that they feel they have to hide in this way - so would be tempted to have the logo to help them feel that they didn't have to.

Honestly, anyone who would discriminate against you for not discriminating.. isn't someone you should worry about.
Our business doesn't worry about those folks, but it's pretty obvious that there is a large subset of businesses that wanted discrimination codified.

Our business doesn't worry about those folks, but it's pretty obvious that there is a large subset of businesses that wanted discrimination codified.
Some people just feel that others have to be at the back of the bus. They don't feel good unless someone else is tread upon.
Martin Niemöller was right... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came_...

I hope folks will ruminate on this a bit.
If you are a business operating in an area that may have had some unpleasant publicity and you feel that you need to get the message out that this is not the way your business operates, this may be one way where your business can let your customer base know that. It may not fit every business or every situation, but businesses should be continually assessing if environmental factors in their market warrant a change in their marketing strategy..
I think the problem is, no one ever heard of this organization.
When you see BBB or Chamber of Commerce, at least it has some meaning.
This sticker seems to have no backing (no pun intended), so anyone can put it up, and there is no ramificiations. I would imagine that anyone who turns people away, contrary to prevailing law or good sense, they would get hammered on yelp, TA, and other social media/review sites.
Granted, at least it says we are open to all. But I would think we are saying this on our website, policies and other places.
A concern I might have is, the place I am planning cannot handle disabled guests on 4 of 5 floors (it is a 5 level split level). I am depending on the owner occupied 5 or less guestroom federal exemption from ADA. Although I plan to make the lowest room have the ability to handle a disabled guest. Putting "open for everyone" kind of opens the place up to a little trouble...
On your website, you may want to have a link to a page on "accessibility" where you spell out what access limitations you have. While you may be exempt from some aspects of ADA, you want to avoid problems with expectations.

I hope folks will ruminate on this a bit.
If you are a business operating in an area that may have had some unpleasant publicity and you feel that you need to get the message out that this is not the way your business operates, this may be one way where your business can let your customer base know that. It may not fit every business or every situation, but businesses should be continually assessing if environmental factors in their market warrant a change in their marketing strategy..
I think the problem is, no one ever heard of this organization.
When you see BBB or Chamber of Commerce, at least it has some meaning.
This sticker seems to have no backing (no pun intended), so anyone can put it up, and there is no ramificiations. I would imagine that anyone who turns people away, contrary to prevailing law or good sense, they would get hammered on yelp, TA, and other social media/review sites.
Granted, at least it says we are open to all. But I would think we are saying this on our website, policies and other places.
A concern I might have is, the place I am planning cannot handle disabled guests on 4 of 5 floors (it is a 5 level split level). I am depending on the owner occupied 5 or less guestroom federal exemption from ADA. Although I plan to make the lowest room have the ability to handle a disabled guest. Putting "open for everyone" kind of opens the place up to a little trouble...
On your website, you may want to have a link to a page on "accessibility" where you spell out what access limitations you have. While you may be exempt from some aspects of ADA, you want to avoid problems with expectations.
Hey, Tom
I had been thinking along this line. I was going to try and have some kind of accommodation on the main floor (1 of 5) that could handle a disabled person. It was intended as a multi-use room (very small.salon/spa area and a few classes), but I was planning a disabled bathroom/shower anyway for those guests.
So if someone asked, I could accommodate the occasional overnight disabled person...

Latest posts

Back