Open seating...please hold my hand

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joey Bloggs said:
We have gone to open seating (from 8am to 9am) for breakfast. I have not done this for the last 10+ years, please hold my hand!
I am already thinking, what the! I have to clean so many more pots and pans in between...I have to be cognizant of people coming and going...more tuned in. Obv less chatty as I am cooking all the time, vs prepping, cooking, serving all at once. I know this is what the guests want, I do, I would want this, but it has been a logistics issue here. So...can I pull it off? I don't know. I may end up being much easier for me in the long run.
This is a new change for 2014, we will see how it goes.
I'm surprised at the timing. Only 8 - 9? Half our guests don't even wake up until after 9. Do you wait for them if they don't make it?.
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
We have gone to open seating (from 8am to 9am) for breakfast. I have not done this for the last 10+ years, please hold my hand!
I am already thinking, what the! I have to clean so many more pots and pans in between...I have to be cognizant of people coming and going...more tuned in. Obv less chatty as I am cooking all the time, vs prepping, cooking, serving all at once. I know this is what the guests want, I do, I would want this, but it has been a logistics issue here. So...can I pull it off? I don't know. I may end up being much easier for me in the long run.
I'm surprised at the timing. Only 8 - 9? Half our guests don't even wake up until after 9. Do you wait for them if they don't make it?
Really? Our guests are wanting 7-8 more than 8-9! But then life is not a beach where we are. Although at the beach I am up earlier than normal to catch the sunrise. Here is one from a week and a half ago.
I can't wait for more of your photos Beachie. Maybe you can have run a guest photo contest over the summer. I would!

Joey Bloggs said:
I'm surprised at the timing. Only 8 - 9? Half our guests don't even wake up until after 9. Do you wait for them if they don't make it?.
TheBeachHouse said:
I'm surprised at the timing. Only 8 - 9? Half our guests don't even wake up until after 9. Do you wait for them if they don't make it?
No.
not at all. never.
I have to clean up from those WHO DO MAKE IT and check out guests and more. All of that leaves little time to interact and enjoy the guests. So the answer is no. never. not at all. That is lunch time.
regular_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Really? Our guests are wanting 7-8 more than 8-9! But then life is not a beach where we are. Although at the beach I am up earlier than normal to catch the sunrise. Here is one from a week and a half ago.
I can't wait for more of your photos Beachie. Maybe you can have run a guest photo contest over the summer. I would!
Joey Bloggs said:
Beautiful! Check out our web site for picutres. Or facebook. I am tech-challenged and can't quite post anything here. Yeah, our guests come here to sleep in.
We also have the luxury of the continental breakfast. We put it out and forget it. Which makes it possible to do check outs and breakfast at the same time.
I stroll through the dining room every once in awhile to check the water in the coffee machine and make sure there is milk for the cereal and coffee. And clean the dishes. But it's mostly help-yourself buffet.
Guests even clean up after themselves. We have a pair of plastic baskets with a small sign saying, "Dirty Dishes" and they use them.

Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Beautiful! Check out our web site for picutres. Or facebook. I am tech-challenged and can't quite post anything here. Yeah, our guests come here to sleep in.
We also have the luxury of the continental breakfast. We put it out and forget it. Which makes it possible to do check outs and breakfast at the same time.
I stroll through the dining room every once in awhile to check the water in the coffee machine and make sure there is milk for the cereal and coffee. And clean the dishes. But it's mostly help-yourself buffet.
Guests even clean up after themselves. We have a pair of plastic baskets with a small sign saying, "Dirty Dishes" and they use them.
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
That is so funny! Great guests!
We had a guest on the weekend when I said to them in the parlor "Y'all can come on through" and he walked into the kitchen. Then laughed, and said "You made it sound so nice like we were eating with you..."

just got another five star review on TA. Hubby must be doing something right!
Beautiful relaxing cozy getaway!”

Reviewed yesterday NEW
They are telling the truth when they say every room has a view! We walked through the unoccupied rooms and loved each one. My husband and I spent a private weekend here and were able to completely relax. Before we arrived, we were a little nervous about whether we’d have enough privacy (we’re new to B&Bs), but the hosts were very respectful of our space. Each morning we’d come down to a yummy breakfast prepared for us (with so many fresh strawberries!). Our host would pop out for a second to see if we needed anything, then disappear to give us the alone time we were looking for.
The hosts also gave great advice on walking paths, restaurants, places with a view, etc. The location is great - you can follow a short coastline path directly to the town square.
It snowed during our stay and we looked out the window the next morning to see our host digging out our car! The snow also caused another couple to cancel their reservation and the hosts offered us the now-available room as a free upgrade, despite that we’d already slept in our room. Great service, above and beyond welcoming, relaxing private getaway, highly recommended.

Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
No.
not at all. never.
I have to clean up from those WHO DO MAKE IT and check out guests and more. All of that leaves little time to interact and enjoy the guests. So the answer is no. never. not at all. That is lunch time.
regular_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
No.
not at all. never.
regular_smile.gif
hahahhahaaaa you sure you don't want to think about your answer first? :)

Are you having them sign up for a time when they select their breakfast? If so, hopefully it will go pretty well for you. I found that it really wasn't a problem except for the early birds.
wink_smile.gif
Samster said:
Are you having them sign up for a time when they select their breakfast? If so, hopefully it will go pretty well for you. I found that it really wasn't a problem except for the early birds.
wink_smile.gif
Nope. That is what we me were getting away from, having it scheduled, and making guests feel like they had a set time. Trying to get away from...
Aha...you're attempting the true open seating depending on their whim in the morning!! Good luck!
I felt like all I could manage on my own was offering for them to select any time between a pretty wide range.
wink_smile.gif

Weekends were looser still.
I think for the most part guests were happy with that here as a large majority of my guests had to be somewhere in the morning during the week.

A little late on this one...
We go from 8-9:30 (but there are 2 of us, so it makes a big difference). The 'curse of Maddie' is that we will do an early breakfast for one room at 7:30 and no one else (the other 6 rooms) will show until 9:15 and then they all come at once. OR, they trickle in every 5 minutes but stand around drinking coffee until 9:15 and then they all sit down.
I try to 'herd the cats' when the crowd is getting close to being beyond the seating capacity by saying, 'It's going to be really busy in here in a few minutes, please have a seat...' and they all tell me they're not in any rush.
Sigh. I have been known to say, 'Yes, but we are.' BIG smile. And we are still cleaning the kitchen at 10:30 and rooms are getting pushed out to 11 or later. And DH gets REALLY stressed.
Tricks for the table...have Trivia cards or other 'ice breakers' out when guests are seating themselves and you are having to run back and forth while they sit. Word games are fun. Things to do lists. Whatever will get people talking to each other if there's a lull.

Back