Package Deals

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatesCottage161

Reaction score
I am going into my second summer and I would like to create some weekend packages this year, but I'm not sure how to go about that. When you contact potential businesses, such as a hair/nail salon, restaurant, etc. to be included in your package do you pay for their services up front, or do they provide you with a voucher that can be redeemed like a gift certificate, or what? Also, do I ask them to discount their service? I know that the guest picks up the fee for these in the package price, but before I approach a business I'd like to know what I'm talking about.

Short answer - it depends.
Around here I buy the gift cards for dinners in advance. Most places charge full price. Mores the pity.
For things to do, like museums, some of them send me a voucher I can print so I only get charged if the guest uses the voucher. Others I pay a discounted rate in advance.
You have to approach each business individually to see what they're comfortable doing.
One guy here trusts me to send the money at the end of the season, other places bill me monthly. Some places can't figure out how to make this work without me driving 2 hours and presenting myself in person. Needless to say, I don't work with them.

Around here I buy the gift cards for dinners in advance. Most places charge full price. Mores the pity.
For things to do, like museums, some of them send me a voucher I can print so I only get charged if the guest uses the voucher. Others I pay a discounted rate in advance.
You have to approach each business individually to see what they're comfortable doing.
One guy here trusts me to send the money at the end of the season, other places bill me monthly. Some places can't figure out how to make this work without me driving 2 hours and presenting myself in person. Needless to say, I don't work with them..
Thanks, Morticia. These were the very issues I was confused about. I see that I may have to make an appointment with each business owner and find out what we can negotiate. I wasn't sure if there was a standard protocol for the industry. Your answer helps.

One guy here trusts me to send the money at the end of the season, other places bill me monthly. Some places can't figure out how to make this work without me driving 2 hours and presenting myself in person. Needless to say, I don't work with them..
Thanks, Morticia. These were the very issues I was confused about. I see that I may have to make an appointment with each business owner and find out what we can negotiate. I wasn't sure if there was a standard protocol for the industry. Your answer helps.
Don't only think local. I get park passes from the state at a discounted rate. The entry fee depends on where, how popular, etc the park is but my guests hand over the pass and the whole carful gets in.
For families going to the beach this saves them up to $30. They see that when they hand over the pass. It's more goodwill than anything because I generally give them away rather than charge for them.
But look around for those kinds of deals.
Look at tourist attractions. Movie theaters. Music venues. Live theater.
If you have shops that offer classes see if they will offer a class for your guests.
There are things I've never been able to make work but that doesn't mean they won't work where you are.
Even getting a restaurant to give your referred guests a free appetizer is something.

Don't only think local. I get park passes from the state at a discounted rate. The entry fee depends on where, how popular, etc the park is but my guests hand over the pass and the whole carful gets in.
For families going to the beach this saves them up to $30. They see that when they hand over the pass. It's more goodwill than anything because I generally give them away rather than charge for them.
But look around for those kinds of deals.
Look at tourist attractions. Movie theaters. Music venues. Live theater.
If you have shops that offer classes see if they will offer a class for your guests.
There are things I've never been able to make work but that doesn't mean they won't work where you are.
Even getting a restaurant to give your referred guests a free appetizer is something.
Thanks so much for these tips, Morticia. I really didn't know how the transfer of money took place. These suggestions will help a lot.

My suggestion for ANY Package is to have 3 or mote things in it so the guest cannot divide out what he is paying for each thing in the package. Fro example, your room rate is posted. Have 2 or more other things that he guest cannot figure out costs. They are happy with a package as long as they think (and it IS) a good value. This is if you have a package that is all inclusive for $xxx/.xx + tax. If you are doing add-ons that are discounts, etc., it is different.
I am going to buy a pool pass that my guests will be able to use at the town pool. I can get passes to the local drive-in. And it does not have to be deals/discounts - you can just make the appointments for them for things like Spas/Massages. I have done that (no, I did not take a kick-back from the spa or masseuse).
I have done Bike & Hike, Bike & Winery, Covered Bridges, Inn-to-Inn, motorcycle day trips....... Back in the day when my knees worked, I did dinners and packed lunches with the packages. They knew how much was charged for the room but not for the lunch, dinner, and the lunch bags were theirs to take home. The bags had my logo and contact info on them. A guest from 2010 is coming back in May - she said she is STILL using the lunch bag from her package then.

Back