PAII Conference

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The annual conference is an attendance must each year. The program has much to offer to both the newbie and the longtime innkeeper. Our family has been involved in innkeeping for over 20 years and I think we have been to every conference except for one. Things change so often, especially concerning technology that we feel if we miss a year we are behind the curve. PAII can always teach an old dog new tricks!!
Because we highly value the Innkeeping Conference, we make the conference attendance part of our budget each year. We feel that we can't afford not to go..
Welcome to the Forum. We were up in Saratoga Springs for a weekend in September. Were also there for "First Night" 2008. Once of our guests stayed at your place after leaving ours. Her daughter was taking the New York State Bar Exam. She had very nice things to say about your place and the both of you when she came back after the Bar Exam (her daughter was living in New Haven at the time). She said that the female innkeeper asked if her daughter had "thrown-up" yet. She said "no" and the reply was "they all do". :).
As far as attending the PAII Conference we did go in 2004 when it was in Providence. Since it was close we could drive there. Because we are small (3 units) and don't have staff so we closed for the weekend of the conference. I know that April is not usually a busy time for most B & B's but since we are in a college town we missed out on probably booking all our rooms for that time. Yale had just sent out their acceptance letters and were smoozing the prospective students, plus schools were on vacation and prosective parents were coming in with their parents to look at the school. The seminars were interesting and we met a lot of nice innkeepers. The best was actually meeting some of the vendors that we buy from and meeting the guys from Webervations and signing up for that.
The conference is not something that is in our budget and in fact we no longer belong to PAII. IMHO the conference is not worth the cost if you are small and your going to loose income for the weekend plus have the expense of the conference.
Thanks for the warm welcome. I believe that the quote can be attributed to my mother. We have NYS Bar exam attendees each year and the stress level in our building could be cut with a knife.
Where do you stay when you come to Saratoga?
It is true that is a bit of a juggling act to try to get to the Innkeeping Conference when you have such a small number of rooms, but I am always amazed at how many longtime innkeepers attend year after year. It shows me that even people that have been in this business forever, still get something out of going to the conference.

The annual conference is an attendance must each year. The program has much to offer to both the newbie and the longtime innkeeper. Our family has been involved in innkeeping for over 20 years and I think we have been to every conference except for one. Things change so often, especially concerning technology that we feel if we miss a year we are behind the curve. PAII can always teach an old dog new tricks!!
Because we highly value the Innkeeping Conference, we make the conference attendance part of our budget each year. We feel that we can't afford not to go..
Welcome to the Forum. We were up in Saratoga Springs for a weekend in September. Were also there for "First Night" 2008. Once of our guests stayed at your place after leaving ours. Her daughter was taking the New York State Bar Exam. She had very nice things to say about your place and the both of you when she came back after the Bar Exam (her daughter was living in New Haven at the time). She said that the female innkeeper asked if her daughter had "thrown-up" yet. She said "no" and the reply was "they all do". :).
As far as attending the PAII Conference we did go in 2004 when it was in Providence. Since it was close we could drive there. Because we are small (3 units) and don't have staff so we closed for the weekend of the conference. I know that April is not usually a busy time for most B & B's but since we are in a college town we missed out on probably booking all our rooms for that time. Yale had just sent out their acceptance letters and were smoozing the prospective students, plus schools were on vacation and prosective parents were coming in with their parents to look at the school. The seminars were interesting and we met a lot of nice innkeepers. The best was actually meeting some of the vendors that we buy from and meeting the guys from Webervations and signing up for that.
The conference is not something that is in our budget and in fact we no longer belong to PAII. IMHO the conference is not worth the cost if you are small and your going to loose income for the weekend plus have the expense of the conference.
Thanks for the warm welcome. I believe that the quote can be attributed to my mother. We have NYS Bar exam attendees each year and the stress level in our building could be cut with a knife.
It is true that is a bit of a juggling act to try to get to the Innkeeping Conference when you have such a small number of rooms, but I am always amazed at how many longtime innkeepers attend year after year. It shows me that even people that have been in this business forever, still get something out of going to the conference.
SaratogaArms said:
I think all of us would attend if we could. #1 to meet up with some from this forum. #2 there is always something new to learn. #3 a getaway even if work related never goes to waste.

Remember it's a tax deductible business expense .....
agoodman1963 said:
Remember it's a tax deductible business expense ....
It's tax deductible but you have to earn enough to pay for the tix to make that work.
wink_smile.gif

tounge_smile.gif
I nearly mentioned that in my post but thought somewould would make another odd remark .. ah yes, a few years ago my book keeper asked me what I wanted to do with my huge loss and I was like "what can I do with it???"
Apparently if you don't make a profit within 5 years the IRS considers it a hobby, I guess I have one more year of grace!!
That depends on a lot of things. One thing I did to avoid "hobby" status was to list the B & B portion of my house a business at the assessor's office. For that, I get to pay the highest tax rate possible for real estate taxes. BUT I also get to decuct 2/3 of all utilities, etc as expenses.
My tax preparer says and it is definitely true - you MUST claim ALL income however, there is nothing to say you MUST claim all expenses. If you show $100 in profit, you had profit.

Sorry it took a while to respond. Have been very busy and I had to search through the unread threads to find this one.
In regards to where we stay. We have been to Saratoga 3 times in the past year and a half. We absolutely love it there. Of course we have gone off season so it wasn't a mad house. The first time was for a wedding last May. We stayed at the Westchester House. While our room was very nice, we were extremely diappointed in the beakfast. The are listed in Select Registry (although that is not why we chose to stay there) and we had a COLD breakfast. It does say this on their website and in the Select Registry book but I must have missed it. The fruit salad was served family style, as was a small plate (rather than platter, as stated) of cold meat (cold cuts) and cheese. We had to ask the inkkeeper for cereal and he hovered over the breakfast table. When I told another Select Registry Inn about the experience of the cold breakfast he gave me a stamped postcard to mail to Select Registry saying that it was unacceptable as as Select Registry Inn.
The second time we went for "1st night" at New Year's. Saratoga has the best "1st night" I have ever been too. My DH was performing at one of the venue's. We went with friends from Peekskill NY and they are not B & B people so we stayed at a Comfort Suites in Clifton Park. Went up again this past September meeting the same couple and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Clifton Park. DH and I would have preferred to have stayed in a B & B. When we went in September we got there a day before our friends and we made an appointment at the Roosevelt Baths and Spa for a mineral bath and massage. It was heavenly.
Saratoga Springs is only 3 hours from us so we will definitely be back there again.

Back