Past Guest Trying To Take Advantage

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnKeeper

Reaction score
So irritated today. Past guest (1 previous stay) emailed 3 days ago saying "We're so excited, we're adopting 2 puppies and picking them up tonight! We have a reservation for this weekend and don't think anyone will take on 2 puppies. What can we do so we don't lose our money." I emailed back that we'd be happy to put the room back into the system as we were otherwise full and see if someone else books it. If so, then I'd refund their deposit (they've had room held over a month) but if not then they'd have to come or pay the $470. I said that I could let her come off season Sun-Thursday to makeup for the lost stay that they had to pay for. She asked me to put the rooms back on because they really didn't want to put the puppies in a kennel and didn't want to lose the money.
No one has taken the room and they are supposed to arrive tomorrow. She just emailed that she can't find anyone to watch them, all kennels are full and what can I do for her so she doesn't lose her money. (She wants me to lose $470 with this being my only income and 2 kids to put through school - that's just fine and dandy.) I replied that if it didn't rebook, then they would be responsible and it's unfortunate that they didn't wait one week to pickup the puppies so that this didn't happen to them. She asked me to put the room on for just one night stays and she'll hope that someone takes it for just Saturday. I'm truly pissed at this point because she knew she had a reservation and I think because we're dog lovers ourselves and have two that she just figured it was fine for us to lose the money, that we'd understand. I'm surprised daily as how selfish people are but I'm sticking to my policy because this was self induced and I'm not losing money because she couldn't wait a week to get her hands on her two puppies.

I will say that most of our repeats offer to pay right up front when they cancel at short notice. Not all. But most. Many don't seem to think we 'need' to pay our bills like everyone else. I feel your pain and your anger.
You did offer a compromise, which I don't do. Not sure why I don't tell them to just come off season, maybe it doesn't occur to me.

You were very generous offering to have them come in the off season. They were probably hoping you would say bring the puppies. This is a problem of their own creation and it shouldn't be up to you to fix it. If they are from a breeder, then bring them back to the breeder for a few days.
Who is it on here who says 'your problem does not an emergency make for me'? That phrase is definitely appropriate for you right now.
I can relate to your frustration!

The electric company gets paid or off goes your power. Your car payment goes or they repossess. You don't pay for your groceries, they don't go out the door.
I think the concept here that people have to lose money due to other people's problems is flawed.
They cancel, you bill them, period. Would airlines refund your money if you did not make the flight?
As a little guy, people think you are more of a pushover. Act like the big companies when it is time to get paid.
Even if you can rebook, you might be losing that money if that person stayed a different time.

The electric company gets paid or off goes your power. Your car payment goes or they repossess. You don't pay for your groceries, they don't go out the door.
I think the concept here that people have to lose money due to other people's problems is flawed.
They cancel, you bill them, period. Would airlines refund your money if you did not make the flight?
As a little guy, people think you are more of a pushover. Act like the big companies when it is time to get paid.
Even if you can rebook, you might be losing that money if that person stayed a different time..
You'll be surprised when you finally become an innkeeper what people will do to you. And sometimes it's worse because you've become friendly with them and they then think you're a friend so you'll give them back their money. That's the worse case because you either lose them as guests or you get your money. Tough choices but with two kids and college coming I'm not being a pushover.

I will say that most of our repeats offer to pay right up front when they cancel at short notice. Not all. But most. Many don't seem to think we 'need' to pay our bills like everyone else. I feel your pain and your anger.
You did offer a compromise, which I don't do. Not sure why I don't tell them to just come off season, maybe it doesn't occur to me..
I typically wouldn't say to come in off season but I'm trying to be accommodating because they did stay before. I thought of this one time before with a guy who was being a pest about getting his money back. I did it as a way to avoid a chargeback because I did offer him an alternative. He was fine with it because he was retired and in our driving area. Others probably won't think it's a great idea if they are from far away or they don't want to take vacation days to come - only want weekends. It's a way to try to create a win/win. Like I said to her though, it's Sunday through Thursday non holiday/peak time. That way I don't lose any income because I'm never full during those periods.
People don't realize how this hurts an innkeeper financially - we only have so many days a year to make money because our location is seasonal and the remainder of the year weekends only.

I'd be annoyed as well. They knew they had a booking, now they're trying to cancel. Charge them.
What's the worst they can do, leave a bad review, you've acted completely properly and can say so in a reply. Never come back, no loss there!!
I has someone who'd been a couple of times, booked 7 nights in peak season, August, in March. A week before they were due to arrive she emailed and said they'd decided to spend the week in the garden so wouldn't be coming, but hoped to come another time. I wrote back and told them they'd left me with an empty room for 7 nights and were not welcome back.

I feel your pain.
angry_smile.gif

Good for you to keep to your policies.

Even if you can rebook, you might be losing that money if that person stayed a different time..
You'll be surprised when you finally become an innkeeper what people will do to you. And sometimes it's worse because you've become friendly with them and they then think you're a friend so you'll give them back their money. That's the worse case because you either lose them as guests or you get your money. Tough choices but with two kids and college coming I'm not being a pushover.
If it is any support, we just had a similar situation with a previous guest and we did not bend our policies for them. They were great about it, but that isn't always the case. It helps separate those that you may continue to see in a more friendly way from those that would quickly use friendship for their gain.

If it is any support, we just had a similar situation with a previous guest and we did not bend our policies for them. They were great about it, but that isn't always the case. It helps separate those that you may continue to see in a more friendly way from those that would quickly use friendship for their gain.
That's just it - because they stayed before they think we should accommodate them and refund the money. If that's how they feel, then I won't be upset if they don't come back.

It just keeps going -- she just emailed that she wants me to tell her exact dates that she can come in the off season so she can decide tonight whether to lose her $470 by not coming this weekend and coming another time of the year. So it appears that she would be able to get someone to watch the puppies and come tomorrow IF the dates I'm offering her in the future aren't to her liking. Just great.

As a longterm landlord, people try all sorts of things. I get harder with the years

That's just it - because they stayed before they think we should accommodate them and refund the money. If that's how they feel, then I won't be upset if they don't come back.
MtnKeeper said:
If that's how they feel, then I won't be upset if they don't come back.
thumbs_up.gif

It just keeps going -- she just emailed that she wants me to tell her exact dates that she can come in the off season so she can decide tonight whether to lose her $470 by not coming this weekend and coming another time of the year. So it appears that she would be able to get someone to watch the puppies and come tomorrow IF the dates I'm offering her in the future aren't to her liking. Just great..
We have all experienced the dread when we realize that the concession we made to a guest to be nice was just the tip of the iceberg. Hang in there. Maybe give her a range during the off-season and ask her to pick any exact dates in the range. Try to put it back on her to decide what to do. Hoping it works out.

I think too many people thing
(1) we are rich and don't need the money
(2) its a hobby and we dont' need the money
Had this from a neighbour who is working on his duplex flat next door - said "how are you getting on with that bathroom?" still working on it "me - gosh its been about 3 months now!" him well we aren't all rich like you and I have to do it all myself -
He must have seen it on my face that I was not best impressed! felt like saying you know the state of my bank balance better than I do then!

It just keeps going -- she just emailed that she wants me to tell her exact dates that she can come in the off season so she can decide tonight whether to lose her $470 by not coming this weekend and coming another time of the year. So it appears that she would be able to get someone to watch the puppies and come tomorrow IF the dates I'm offering her in the future aren't to her liking. Just great..
We have all experienced the dread when we realize that the concession we made to a guest to be nice was just the tip of the iceberg. Hang in there. Maybe give her a range during the off-season and ask her to pick any exact dates in the range. Try to put it back on her to decide what to do. Hoping it works out.
happykeeper said:
Try to put it back on her to decide what to do.
This.

Had this from a neighbour who is working on his duplex flat next door - said "how are you getting on with that bathroom?" still working on it "me - gosh its been about 3 months now!" him well we aren't all rich like you and I have to do it all myself -
He must have seen it on my face that I was not best impressed! felt like saying you know the state of my bank balance better than I do then!.
Rich? When did you hear last time rich people cleaning toilets for living?

He must have seen it on my face that I was not best impressed! felt like saying you know the state of my bank balance better than I do then!.
heckuva hobby. Mortgage, taxes, insurance, chained to the house, fire and safety regulations and inspections, high insurance bills, happy/nervy clients, constant marketing, cleaning, maintaining, all for the benefit of ?
For some people, it might be more cost effective to let rooms!

Rich? When did you hear last time rich people cleaning toilets for living?
I get this a lot. We live in a very wealthy neighborhood. But most of our neighbors don't have to rent rooms to afford to live here. LOL

Back