Pay an inn for their referrals?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not talking free referrals. There needs to be an incentive $. You stated the reason right there - why would this other inn care where the guests stayed the next night?
I am emailing them and if they want it to be reciprical, even better. What I WILL DO - If a guest books here I will attach their url on the confirmation as a recommended inn and also have a couple rack cards here from their place.
I do not know where guests are going or coming from when they are here. People typically book it all in advance. But I am finding quite a few from this one area coming to us typically from up there..
Well, if you have a target area, it can't hurt to contact B&B's there and see if they will reciprocate referral payments. If someone calls me from far away I usually ask if they have made all of their reservations yet. If not, I ask where they were planning to go and give them the names of places I know in that area and ask that they mention me if they book.
I just do it to be helpful. I've got a nice run of places I can refer the New England/Niagara Falls loop crowd to. Especially for B&B travelers, they like a referral! And now I have a lot more B&B's north of me to refer to!
I've sent several guests to a B&B on the Cape. The owners were thrilled as it was their first year. They sent a really nice thank-you note. That was more than enough for me. But I would be happy to find other B&B's to refer guests to, especially in the New England area as that's where most of my guests a traveling to. Bree, I know you are in Maine somewhere. Perhaps we should chat.
Country Girl said:
I've sent several guests to a B&B on the Cape. The owners were thrilled as it was their first year. They sent a really nice thank-you note. That was more than enough for me. But I would be happy to find other B&B's to refer guests to, especially in the New England area as that's where most of my guests a traveling to. Bree, I know you are in Maine somewhere. Perhaps we should chat.
Okay people! You are missing why I brought this up, I am trying to increase occupancy. I am not trying to be nice, I am not trying to refer to other B&B's that are 5 hours away just because. ha ha I am marketing here...
Yes you and Bree should chat. I refer to other inns on this forum all the time, so inns - send me your rack cards! Within conversation diff areas, diff things come up and I have referred to other inns quite often.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Okay people! You are missing why I brought this up, I am trying to increase occupancy. I am not trying to be nice, I am not trying to refer to other B&B's that are 5 hours away just because. ha ha I am marketing here...
Yes you and Bree should chat. I refer to other inns on this forum all the time, so inns - send me your rack cards! Within conversation diff areas, diff things come up and I have referred to other inns quite often.
Instead of money changing hands, I would suggest that you develop a 2 way relationship with the innkeepers who are located several hours away. Call them and see if they are interested in a two way referral. When I get calls from guests who are from out of state, I usually ask them where they are staying the night before they get to us. This then leads to asking if they know where they will stay after leaving us. Since we are located on the coast, most traveling guests are driving up/down the coast stopping in several locations. I then offer suggestions on where to stay after us, thus developing a fair amount of referrals to/from my favorite inns.
No money changes hands, but the referrals are effective and reciprocal.

ETA: I re-read the original post...never mind.
embaressed_smile.gif
My comment wasn't what you were looking for

Not talking free referrals. There needs to be an incentive $. You stated the reason right there - why would this other inn care where the guests stayed the next night?
I am emailing them and if they want it to be reciprical, even better. What I WILL DO - If a guest books here I will attach their url on the confirmation as a recommended inn and also have a couple rack cards here from their place.
I do not know where guests are going or coming from when they are here. People typically book it all in advance. But I am finding quite a few from this one area coming to us typically from up there..
Well, if you have a target area, it can't hurt to contact B&B's there and see if they will reciprocate referral payments. If someone calls me from far away I usually ask if they have made all of their reservations yet. If not, I ask where they were planning to go and give them the names of places I know in that area and ask that they mention me if they book.
I just do it to be helpful. I've got a nice run of places I can refer the New England/Niagara Falls loop crowd to. Especially for B&B travelers, they like a referral! And now I have a lot more B&B's north of me to refer to!
Country Girl said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Instead of money changing hands, I would suggest that you develop a 2 way relationship with the innkeepers who are located several hours away. Call them and see if they are interested in a two way referral. When I get calls from guests who are from out of state, I usually ask them where they are staying the night before they get to us. This then leads to asking if they know where they will stay after leaving us. Since we are located on the coast, most traveling guests are driving up/down the coast stopping in several locations. I then offer suggestions on where to stay after us, thus developing a fair amount of referrals to/from my favorite inns.
Josh, I do that as a matter of courtesy for my guests. I will refer along to others and ditto. I am not going to get into a one on one referral. I will do the best referral form my guests and their needs. What goes round comes round. I don't do the 'you pat my back and I'll pat yours' thing. It just happens when you do referrals.

Country Girl said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Josh, I do that as a matter of courtesy for my guests. I will refer along to others and ditto. I am not going to get into a one on one referral. I will do the best referral form my guests and their needs. What goes round comes round. I don't do the 'you pat my back and I'll pat yours' thing. It just happens when you do referrals.
Heck, I have another inn here trying to steal my guests as they are walking down the street!! Really put the guests off, too. I refer people to them all the time & have mentioned to them that I do because it is guests looking for something that we might not have (kids, dogs, rollaways)....they have not even said "thank you". They think that they are all that & a bag of chips...as the kids say.

Country Girl said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Heck, I have another inn here trying to steal my guests as they are walking down the street!! Really put the guests off, too. I refer people to them all the time & have mentioned to them that I do because it is guests looking for something that we might not have (kids, dogs, rollaways)....they have not even said "thank you". They think that they are all that & a bag of chips...as the kids say.
Samster said:
all that & a bag of chips...
I LIKE that! I'm going to remember that.
We have a place that does the guest theft thing, too. Yes, it's annoying when my guests come back from dinner and say they 'ran into' this other innkeeper at the next table who asked how long they were staying and said they'd like their place better, why not stop over and have a look after dinner! Or offer them freebies if they stay with them next time. Yeesh.

Country Girl said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Samster said:
We have a place that does the guest theft thing, too. Yes, it's annoying when my guests come back from dinner and say they 'ran into' this other innkeeper at the next table who asked how long they were staying and said they'd like their place better, why not stop over and have a look after dinner! Or offer them freebies if they stay with them next time. Yeesh.
Bree said:
Samster said:
I would never refer anyone to that B&B again.

Country Girl said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Samster said:
Bree said:
Samster said:
>>I would never refer anyone to that B&B again.<<
I look at it this way...I'm trying to get them the best experience here in our City. If we can't suit their needs, then I need to help them find a place that does. I'd rather they stay in our historic area than in some chain motel/hotel :)
But....having said that, I think it's totally not cool to walk up to our guests and purposely engage them in conversation for the intent of getting them to stay at their place when they are already staying with us. Now, I have had their guests come up to me to ask about our house, cat, yard, etc. That's a totally different deal. We had one set of guests tell us that they approached them on the street when they were taking pictures of our house and since then, I've seen them accosting a couple of others. To me that is just wrong on so many levels! WE are #1 on TripAdvisor now though, so whatever.....
teeth_smile.gif

Country Girl said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Samster said:
Yep, we have done the same - referrals that is. I am the only B&B in my town but have referred some bringing pets to a B&B a couple of towns over. I have never even met these innkeepers as they have not attended (though invited) any association meetngs. I sent them an email to introduce myself and stated I had referred people to them and wanted to meet them personally to be able to recommend them from personal knowledge instead of just passing along the info of a place that takes pets...NO reply, no thank you for the referrals, no nothing.... It is evident they want on dealings with us or any other assocation members. In cases like these, one could begin to think that these innkeepers may be some of the small lot that gives B&B's a bad name...If they will not communicate with us, how do they react to their guests?
I am sorry you have neighbors that would try to lure your guests away. Heck, when I visit one of my friends B&B and one of their guests comes in, I make sure to only say my first name on introduction. If the innkeeper gives my story away, that is their doing not mine. Your story reminds me of one of my visits to Mexico where store keepers came out to lure people from other stores into theirs offering better prices etc. It totally turned me off and I headed back to the tour bus.

Country Girl said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Samster said:
Bree said:
Samster said:
I look at it this way...I'm trying to get them the best experience here in our City. If we can't suit their needs, then I need to help them find a place that does. I'd rather they stay in our historic area than in some chain motel/hotel :)
But....having said that, I think it's totally not cool to walk up to our guests and purposely engage them in conversation for the intent of getting them to stay at their place when they are already staying with us. Now, I have had their guests come up to me to ask about our house, cat, yard, etc. That's a totally different deal. We had one set of guests tell us that they approached them on the street when they were taking pictures of our house and since then, I've seen them accosting a couple of others. To me that is just wrong on so many levels! WE are #1 on TripAdvisor now though, so whatever.....
teeth_smile.gif

Samster said:
I'd be very careful. If they are the kind to steal your guests, then just imagine the negative things they are saying about you.

Country Girl said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Samster said:
Bree said:
Samster said:
teeth_smile.gif

Samster said:
I'd be very careful. If they are the kind to steal your guests, then just imagine the negative things they are saying about you.
It's like water off a duck's back :) All anyone has to do is look at our properties (pat on the back here) and check us out online.
Those folks are now gone and the original owners have taken the place back. So much for trying to steal our guests!
wink_smile.gif
Just goes to show you that what goes around, comes around...as my Mama used to say. I am a firm believer in the Golden Rule.

If I get a phone call from an inn that is full and they specifically refer clients to me; I will pay a referral fee.
I also have begun a "business to business" referral program in my town. I am a new bed and breakfast and this is a way to get the word out among the people I have networked with and done business with over the past 10 years in my community. The businesses I do business with are varied...like the printer, the antique mall, the gift shop in town for massage oils, etc., my car repair guy, a realtor friend of mine, my favorite restaurant for halibut fish and chips, and my favorite restaurant for home made pizza, etc. These are businesses I spend money with.
I have contacted them personally. I take them my business cards and they give me theirs. If someone comes to me with one of their business cards stapled to mine.....I give a 10% discount. Likewise, if I refer one of my clients with my business card and their business card stapled together and my client brings it to that business....they have agreed to also give my client a 10% discount.
Last weekend, I referred a client of mine to an upscale spa in my area. I called ahead for my client. I negotiated a 10% discount for her. I call this a "business to business" referral. She was thrilled and the spa appreciated my referral.
With business slower, due to this economy, I believe we all need to work together. Every business I have contacted in my area has been responsive and agreed to the "business to business" referral program I am beginning. I am a retired realtor. We have always paid referral fees as a standard practice in our business. I see no problem with it.

I would get on the phone but it depends on what they are like (some people are odd ducks) Were I am is a small town but it is a conference town so has maybe 100 B&B's plus 20 large hotels. About half of the B&B's are part of a trade association which has an email group so if someone wants a room but we are full for that date we can send an email round the group in an instant and have people contact them. This is also free and guests appreciate that you are helpful and come back to you next time. It also saves us all on commission and keeps the guests out of the big hotels and gets them a better deal. I have however tried to do group advertising etc but people don't seem keen but you won't know till you call.

Back