Pay in full discount

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently bit for this discount with BW, taking a trip for a singing thing. I know I am going, barring an emergency. But I have to say, if I wasn't so sure about my plans, I would not do this.
From the innkeeper side, I think "Hey, why not?"
UNTIL...
The call comes in with the guest who has to cancel, because their whole family was abducted by aliens and they have to go to outer space to try to retrieve them and they are really upset that you won't give them their money back. YOU KNOW it's going to happen and they'll be kicking and screaming all the way to the credit card company and telling you what bad customer service you provide and leaving you a bad TA review, when they are the ones who agreed to the the deal!
For a hotel with 300 rooms, who cares? For an innkeeper with 3 rooms...well... gotta weigh the hassle against the "pita potential".

I agree with Bree....$15 just doesn't seem to be that big a deal. On the other hand, your online Internet Bookindg discount is nice since it's a per night discount.
I want things to be simple. I run the card when they check in. I don't have to keep track in the system of who paid how much when. I am subscribing to the theory of the year of simple innkeeping :).
If you wait to run the card until the day of arrival you risk having a no-show and a declined card. I always waited until the day of check-in to run the credit card but last year I had someone book for 5 days, months in advance, and on the day of arrival, never showed. You guessed it, her credit card was declined. Since then I always take a 50% deposit when they book. It is a bit more bookkeeping but worth it.
Knock wood...I have not had that happen, either a no show or a bad card. On the plus side, I've had people secure a reservation with a credit card and then pay for their stay with cash. Yippee!
I had a Stash Tea BOGO that left this morning. They did not bring their checkbook so they told me to add $10 to the bill to cover the cc fees. I told them that was not necessary but they insisted. They were first timers!
Now I just have to figure out what is wired wrong. Ever since I connected to the high-speed, the only way I can use the cc machine is to undo the computer AND the phone at the wall and mainline the cc machine. Otherwise it tells me the line is busy. And yes, I have filters at each connection - put one at the CC connection this morning before I started the transaction. Mainline is all that works.
gillumhouse said:
I had a Stash Tea BOGO that left this morning. They did not bring their checkbook so they told me to add $10 to the bill to cover the cc fees. I told them that was not necessary but they insisted. They were first timers!
Now I just have to figure out what is wired wrong. Ever since I connected to the high-speed, the only way I can use the cc machine is to undo the computer AND the phone at the wall and mainline the cc machine. Otherwise it tells me the line is busy. And yes, I have filters at each connection - put one at the CC connection this morning before I started the transaction. Mainline is all that works.
What is your cc machine jacked into BEFORE you undo everything? Besides a filter, you can also get a splitter that allows more than one 'phone' to be connected to the same jack.

I agree with Bree....$15 just doesn't seem to be that big a deal. On the other hand, your online Internet Bookindg discount is nice since it's a per night discount.
I want things to be simple. I run the card when they check in. I don't have to keep track in the system of who paid how much when. I am subscribing to the theory of the year of simple innkeeping :).
If you wait to run the card until the day of arrival you risk having a no-show and a declined card. I always waited until the day of check-in to run the credit card but last year I had someone book for 5 days, months in advance, and on the day of arrival, never showed. You guessed it, her credit card was declined. Since then I always take a 50% deposit when they book. It is a bit more bookkeeping but worth it.
Knock wood...I have not had that happen, either a no show or a bad card. On the plus side, I've had people secure a reservation with a credit card and then pay for their stay with cash. Yippee!
gillumhouse said:
What is your cc machine jacked into BEFORE you undo everything? Besides a filter, you can also get a splitter that allows more than one 'phone' to be connected to the same jack.
That's what I have, a simple splitter. Works great.

gillumhouse said:
OK. I told DH today am going to call a computer company near here to find out how much they will charge me to do a complete set-up (reset). I have added on here and daisied there to the point I have no clue what is where any more. I had the old phone line for the computer going into a surge protector (where the cc machine is still plugged), but there is also the printer/fax and a UPS in this mix. I have a splitter - one with the filter and the phone line and the other goes to the computer thru who knows what device. I also want them to go over this thing to check for garbage on it and set up my firewall correctly. I have - as I said before - enough knowledge to REALLY mess things up.
I remove the cc line from the phone surge thing, undo the second device from the splitter and take the phone out of the filter, plug the cc into the filter and bob's your uncle it works. I just have to test the phone when I finish to be sure it is plugged in all the way. Once I redo the cc line back where it belongs, the computer works again. I am pretty sure it is just a daisy chain problem. There are too many wires back there right now for me to figure it out. I am better off saving up to pay a pro.

I recently bit for this discount with BW, taking a trip for a singing thing. I know I am going, barring an emergency. But I have to say, if I wasn't so sure about my plans, I would not do this.
From the innkeeper side, I think "Hey, why not?"
UNTIL...
The call comes in with the guest who has to cancel, because their whole family was abducted by aliens and they have to go to outer space to try to retrieve them and they are really upset that you won't give them their money back. YOU KNOW it's going to happen and they'll be kicking and screaming all the way to the credit card company and telling you what bad customer service you provide and leaving you a bad TA review, when they are the ones who agreed to the the deal!
For a hotel with 300 rooms, who cares? For an innkeeper with 3 rooms...well... gotta weigh the hassle against the "pita potential"..
Those darn aliens, they get you every time!! ;)

Back