PCI Certification

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is probably me that is confused! So you get a paper copy with all digits on it? That seems a little risky/doesn't make sense either?

We spoke to Intuit on this - they do not have an insurance offering or requirement at this time, and this was the first our contact had ever heard of anything like this.
In terms of printing the full cc number on your machine - by law - they cannot be doing this. There is now a Federal law that prohibits this - so if your machine is doing this, then I would strongly recommend you get it changed immediately.
You can see the law here: http://www.ncsl.org/programs/lis/privacy/CreditCardReceipts.htm. There have been various state laws prohibiting this since 1999 as you can see on that page as well. I do not believe the black marker would be enough. Shocked your processor is not proactively contacting you to get you to do this..
I believe this applies to the customer's receipt and not the merchants' receipt. Here is the copy of the text of the link above: only the last five digits of the card account number can be printed on electronically printed receipts provided to the customer. The new truncation requirement does not apply to handwritten receipts or receipts imprinted with a copy of the credit card. Is this your understanding?
Landmark said:
I believe this applies to the customer's receipt and not the merchants' receipt. Here is the copy of the text of the link above: only the last five digits of the card account number can be printed on electronically printed receipts provided to the customer. The new truncation requirement does not apply to handwritten receipts or receipts imprinted with a copy of the credit card. Is this your understanding?
This is if you handwrite the receipt or use the manual slide with the carbon copies. If you use a MACHINE that calls out and gets an approval code, that printed receipt from that machine should NOT give anyone anything other than the last 4 digits.
Ocassionally, mine will print the guest's NAME on the receipt and will ask if the name is correct (on the screen) before I can proceed. But it still doesn't print out their entire card number at any point. For me or for the guest. I get one printout for the guest to sign.
Because I have an OLD machine with an ink printer, not the laser printer style, maybe the new ones do it differently. I give the 'carbon copy' from the machine to the guest as their receipt. I keep the original. Still nothing more than 4 digits. And no expiry date.

We spoke to Intuit on this - they do not have an insurance offering or requirement at this time, and this was the first our contact had ever heard of anything like this.
In terms of printing the full cc number on your machine - by law - they cannot be doing this. There is now a Federal law that prohibits this - so if your machine is doing this, then I would strongly recommend you get it changed immediately.
You can see the law here: http://www.ncsl.org/programs/lis/privacy/CreditCardReceipts.htm. There have been various state laws prohibiting this since 1999 as you can see on that page as well. I do not believe the black marker would be enough. Shocked your processor is not proactively contacting you to get you to do this..
Landmark said:
This is if you handwrite the receipt or use the manual slide with the carbon copies. If you use a MACHINE that calls out and gets an approval code, that printed receipt from that machine should NOT give anyone anything other than the last 4 digits.
Ocassionally, mine will print the guest's NAME on the receipt and will ask if the name is correct (on the screen) before I can proceed. But it still doesn't print out their entire card number at any point. For me or for the guest. I get one printout for the guest to sign.
Because I have an OLD machine with an ink printer, not the laser printer style, maybe the new ones do it differently. I give the 'carbon copy' from the machine to the guest as their receipt. I keep the original. Still nothing more than 4 digits. And no expiry date.
Bree, yours prints only the last 4 digits because it prints in 'carbon copy' form. Mine works the same as Landmark and Gillumhouse, it prints 2 seperate reciepts, the one for the customer only has the last 4 #'s while mine shows all numbers and in most cases the name under the signature line. According to my processor I am fully up to current compliance.
The following is the link to the PCI site: www.pcisecuritystandards.org/security_standards/pci_dss.shtml

Landmark said:
Bree, yours prints only the last 4 digits because it prints in 'carbon copy' form. Mine works the same as Landmark and Gillumhouse, it prints 2 seperate reciepts, the one for the customer only has the last 4 #'s while mine shows all numbers and in most cases the name under the signature line. According to my processor I am fully up to current compliance.
The following is the link to the PCI site: www.pcisecuritystandards.org/security_standards/pci_dss.shtml
Copperhead said:
If your machine does that we should all be demanding to see the merchant copy of the cc receipt whenever we buy something. The merchant should NOT have the full cc data once I leave the POS.

Landmark said:
Copperhead said:
If your machine does that we should all be demanding to see the merchant copy of the cc receipt whenever we buy something. The merchant should NOT have the full cc data once I leave the POS.
Bree stated "If your machine does that we should all be demanding to see the merchant copy of the cc receipt whenever we buy something"
You should not have to demand it as that is what is presented for your signature.
I am not disagreeing with you about the security, just that as far as I have been able to get through to determine the PCI is mostly conserned with electronic risks. I have also looked at the Visa site where it reads just as Landmark said - compliance only refers to the customers reciept, not the merchants. I do plan on calling again to my processor to make sure the person I spoke with today is correct.

Landmark said:
Copperhead said:
Bree stated "If your machine does that we should all be demanding to see the merchant copy of the cc receipt whenever we buy something"
You should not have to demand it as that is what is presented for your signature.
I am not disagreeing with you about the security, just that as far as I have been able to get through to determine the PCI is mostly conserned with electronic risks. I have also looked at the Visa site where it reads just as Landmark said - compliance only refers to the customers reciept, not the merchants. I do plan on calling again to my processor to make sure the person I spoke with today is correct.
Copperhead said:
I haven't seen my cc number on anything I have signed for years. I'm with John on this one, I would not want the responsibility of storing this info. If we get a walk-in and I write their cc data on a reg form, I shred the reg form once they're gone.

Landmark said:
Copperhead said:
Copperhead said:
I haven't seen my cc number on anything I have signed for years. I'm with John on this one, I would not want the responsibility of storing this info. If we get a walk-in and I write their cc data on a reg form, I shred the reg form once they're gone.
I agree, I don't want the data at all. If I don't have it, I can't be held responsible if it goes missing.
regular_smile.gif

Landmark said:
Copperhead said:
Copperhead said:
I agree, I don't want the data at all. If I don't have it, I can't be held responsible if it goes missing.
regular_smile.gif

Remember that even if you have your processor put only the 4 digit on the merchants copy, you still should have the batch reports that show all digits before you settle. This may be a good idea, so that less chance of a guest\employee walking off or taking down the full digits on the merchants copy if somebody went behind your checkin desk and took\looked. Our machine also shows only the last 4 digits on debit cards for both the customer and merchant.

Landmark said:
Copperhead said:
Copperhead said:
regular_smile.gif

Remember that even if you have your processor put only the 4 digit on the merchants copy, you still should have the batch reports that show all digits before you settle. This may be a good idea, so that less chance of a guest\employee walking off or taking down the full digits on the merchants copy if somebody went behind your checkin desk and took\looked. Our machine also shows only the last 4 digits on debit cards for both the customer and merchant.
Landmark said:
My processor USED to allow me to view the full cc number online, but no longer. I have no batch reports with that kind of info. I take the printout off the cc machine in the morning and balance that against what I was expecting to have. But I don't match the cc number with the dollar amount. I can't. And even if I could, as long as the money is there, I'm happy!

SuperINN erased alol the cc info except for the last 4 digits so I didn't have to back in and manually change these - thanks, SI!! They are also offering a merchant acct and gateway program, but I opted out since we are a small inn and our current provider is priced lower than what SI could offer. I may consider switching at some point down the road.

SuperINN erased alol the cc info except for the last 4 digits so I didn't have to back in and manually change these - thanks, SI!! They are also offering a merchant acct and gateway program, but I opted out since we are a small inn and our current provider is priced lower than what SI could offer. I may consider switching at some point down the road..
greyswan said:
SuperINN erased alol the cc info except for the last 4 digits so I didn't have to back in and manually change these - thanks, SI!! They are also offering a merchant acct and gateway program, but I opted out since we are a small inn and our current provider is priced lower than what SI could offer. I may consider switching at some point down the road.
When did you get all this info?

SuperINN erased alol the cc info except for the last 4 digits so I didn't have to back in and manually change these - thanks, SI!! They are also offering a merchant acct and gateway program, but I opted out since we are a small inn and our current provider is priced lower than what SI could offer. I may consider switching at some point down the road..
Greysway,
Did they do it manually or is this a hidden feature? Also are you sure that it is erased in the history as well. Did they erase all the digits on your current reservations?

greyswan said:
When did you get all this info?
They sent me the merchant acct/gateway info a few weeks ago when I spoke with them. The deletion of cc info happened the end of this week.

Greysway,
Did they do it manually or is this a hidden feature? Also are you sure that it is erased in the history as well. Did they erase all the digits on your current reservations?
Hi Landmark... nice visiting with you earlier today... I did check my history and the cc info is gone except for the last 4 digits. SI did this manually from their end while I was on the phone with them.

Greysway,
Hi Landmark... nice visiting with you earlier today... I did check my history and the cc info is gone except for the last 4 digits. SI did this manually from their end while I was on the phone with them.
greyswan said:
Just what I asked them to do back in the spring...but they didn't. I won't mention your name, but I'm going to call again.

Greysway,
How long was the time period that they erased? I guess I will call them as well. I just got my new PAI statement and had the extra fee on there - $15/month! I will read this more carefully and the other documentation that they sent me. Yeesch...I don't think I can raise my rates to cover all this extra crap.

we started with SI in Jan 2008 so they didn't have far to go back to. Good luck!

Back