Personal Hygene

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again, culturally there are those who feel we stink with our deodorants and constantly bathing..
Really? Never heard of anyone thinking that stinks. I really don't think this is a cultural issue either, unless you're visiting India or some other country where body odor is the norm. To go without bathing in the USA is a sign of mental illness or at least social dysfunction.
Since this is my home as well as my business, I will be laying out the parameters very quickly if guests with this particular issue show up at my place. My home is a sanctuary and I'd like to keep it that way.

We just said it did on the other thread...the one about too many scents. That is stinky to us. Finicky people here. ha ha
We do not know the ethnicity of these guests, we probably shouldn't know.

We just said it did on the other thread...the one about too many scents. That is stinky to us. Finicky people here. ha ha
We do not know the ethnicity of these guests, we probably shouldn't know..
Joey Bloggs said:
Nor would I assume that someone with body odor is mentally ill or socially dysfunctional.

Joey Bloggs said:
Nor would I assume that someone with body odor is mentally ill or socially dysfunctional.
Little Blue said:
I'll have to admit that mental illness or dysfunctionality would run through my mind in a case as extreme as Highlands John describes.

Joey Bloggs said:
Little Blue said:
Joey Bloggs said:
tounge_smile.gif
Just ripe.

Our kids hiked the Appalachian Trail for a week in the heat of this hot summer...slept outside, hauled 50lb+ rucksacks the whole week, they DID fortunately, change their socks but you would never have known, the term pee-u is an understatement!

Joey Bloggs said:
Little Blue said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Polly said "To go without bathing in the USA is a sign of mental illness or at least social dysfunction." Not just BO. These people that H. John has in his B&B certainly fit Polly's description to me. OR they are just wanting to draw attention to themselves - like the kids that where their pants 1/2 way down their rear showing their underwear... they are wanting attention, wanting someone to say something to them.
When it comes to stinch in that degree, I think I would tell them that their lifestyle does not reflect the lifestyle of the B&B or of it's other guests and for that reason, they need to find other accommodations more suiting to their lifestyle.

There are a few other reasons people stink, or people who won't bathe, I should say. Another reason in my experience are those who are hooked on meth and such rarely bathe if at all.
So if we total this list without HJ giving away what his thoughts are since he has experienced them himself in prison person.
We have (correct me or feel free to add your own if I skipped any):
  1. Cultural
  2. Religious
  3. Socially inept
  4. Socially dysfunctional
  5. Mentally challenged
  6. Drug-addicted
  7. Street people - homeless or derelict
  8. Elderly
  9. Sickly
  10. Attention Seekers
  11. Earthy
  12. Smokers who can't smell themselves
  13. Plain ol' pigs

Joey Bloggs said:
Little Blue said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Polly said "To go without bathing in the USA is a sign of mental illness or at least social dysfunction." Not just BO. These people that H. John has in his B&B certainly fit Polly's description to me. OR they are just wanting to draw attention to themselves - like the kids that where their pants 1/2 way down their rear showing their underwear... they are wanting attention, wanting someone to say something to them.
When it comes to stinch in that degree, I think I would tell them that their lifestyle does not reflect the lifestyle of the B&B or of it's other guests and for that reason, they need to find other accommodations more suiting to their lifestyle.
Yes, more suiting to their lifestyle, like a tent in the woods. Loved the way you phrased your admonition.

They've paid their bill and gone, never to return as long as I run this place.
The bed sheets are on a boil wash, the cushion covers and comforter are in the dryer and the carpet will be shampoed as soon as the OH fisnishes in the bathroom.
Oh. And the cap it all, ever time I cleaned the room during their stay the suitcase was on the floor near the cupboard, never thought anything of it. The reason it was always there was to cover the stain from the tea they'd spilt all over the carpet.
I'll never moan about 1 nighters again, promise (No really this time)
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

why do people do that? if they tell you right away it is sooo much easier to deal with I hope you charge them a cleaning fee as it is justified!

why do people do that? if they tell you right away it is sooo much easier to deal with I hope you charge them a cleaning fee as it is justified!.
...I hope you charge them a cleaning fee as it is justified!
Amen! At least do that! What do you have to lose? Afraid of making them mad and they won't come back? Charge them for your trouble!

Back