Personal Question - How does this thing work??

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kay Nein

Reaction score
I've asked this question on FB to a canning & homesteading site that always has all the answers about everything. They've been NO help lol
I am moving in two weeks to a house that has the following contraption outside. I assume it's a smoker, though I've never seen one in person. I certainly don't know how to work it. I suspect that the front grill portion is for regular coal grilling and non-heated smoking for flavor (the smoke would come from inside area and out the hole into the grilling area - I've seen these on BBQ shows on TV). And the back opening has levels where we can put shelves and have the heat underneath for smoking.
Has anyone here ever used anything like this? Any suggestions? I'd really like to fire it up to cook something for the people helping us move. I know it will take some trial & error, but I'd appreciate any help getting me going in the right direction.
THANKS!
smoker.jpg

smoker2.jpg
smoker1.jpg

I do not think it is a smoker. I have seen these in this area I think it is a bbq and bread oven - cooking outdoors and baking bread in the heat of summer. Does it look s if there could have been a closure on the back? These were the outdoor grills before Weber made theirs.

I have two of these at my house - one randomly outside, by the pond and one built in to the porch outside the kitchen. I don't know if there is a secret way to use them, but we just use it as as grill. There is a door below the grill but it holds the ashes and coals, no oven or smoker. It *is* still super cool, though. Ours, however, does not open in the back (that I can tell, the one down by the pond is kind of over grown), so no idea how that works. It doors look like you could smoke or bake in that section

Build a fire under the grill and see if the smoke is drawn up the "chimney". If it is, then I'd think anything you put in that chimney will get a nice smokey flavor. You'll need to experiment...and report back!

I was able to find a FB group about smoking meats. They've given me some tips to try. Apparently, the back is a smoker and has shelves. I'm looking forward to figuring it out.

I was able to find a FB group about smoking meats. They've given me some tips to try. Apparently, the back is a smoker and has shelves. I'm looking forward to figuring it out..
Kay Nein said:
I was able to find a FB group about smoking meats. They've given me some tips to try. Apparently, the back is a smoker and has shelves. I'm looking forward to figuring it out.
Keep finding those awesome groups, I'm right behind you! I've learned so much!
thumbs_up.gif
I can raise chickens and fry it up in a cast iron pan!
regular_smile.gif

Back