Pet Peeve - Double Ringers

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Listened to this conversation on the phone today:
Gomez: no, the rate isn't lower because it's the last room, it actually should have been higher so you got lucky.
Gomez: on event weekends we don't do any discounts.
Gomez: AARP? No, no discounts on event weekends.
Gomez: AAA? No, no discounts on event weekends. We're like farmers, you know. We have to make hay while the sun shines.
All of that from a person who booked the cheapest b&b room in town after not being able to find anything else available. It was the only room open because the guests who usually take it for 4 nights couldn't make it this year..
Morticia said:
Gomez: no, the rate isn't lower because it's the last room, it actually should have been higher so you got lucky.
People only understand the law of supply and demand when it's in their favor. They want expect 100% in their favor, always.

Gomez: AAA? No, no discounts on event weekends. We're like farmers, you know. We have to make hay while the sun shines.
All of that from a person who booked the cheapest b&b room in town after not being able to find anything else available. It was the only room open because the guests who usually take it for 4 nights couldn't make it this year..
Yes, we do offer an AARP discount, but it's 10% off the rack rate, which is $100 more than the rate that I quoted you. Would you like me to apply that rate to your room and add in the discount? So, the price is now $90 more than the rate we offered you.

Guest obviously moved the lamp and broke it but did tell me, thanks!
I understand we have to eat stuff getting broken, cost of doing business but..... If guest would at least tell me, oh sorry but we moved the lamp and it broke I would not be so pissed to find it once they leave. Just rude beyond my understanding.
To boot they are from over seas and pull out a tax exempt card, dont want to pay for lamp or taxes.

Guest obviously moved the lamp and broke it but did tell me, thanks!
I understand we have to eat stuff getting broken, cost of doing business but..... If guest would at least tell me, oh sorry but we moved the lamp and it broke I would not be so pissed to find it once they leave. Just rude beyond my understanding.
To boot they are from over seas and pull out a tax exempt card, dont want to pay for lamp or taxes..
How does an overseas "tax exempt card" get them out of paying room taxes in your state?
You could pull out a diplomatic passport here, and I'm still charging you the 9%.

First I have ever seen this type of card or heard of. At the time the guest handed it to me I did not have time to argue it. The card looked legit with her photo id on it, I really should have taking a minute to copy it.
I have noticed a few times when processing a cc there is a prompt asking if tax exempt but her cc did not.
Trying to research it more myself.

Yes, we do offer an AARP discount, but it's 10% off the rack rate, which is $100 more than the rate that I quoted you. Would you like me to apply that rate to your room and add in the discount? So, the price is now $90 more than the rate we offered you.
Channeling Basil Fawlty ...

Back