Photo retreats

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Has anyone ever held a photo retreat? Looking at some fantastic photos from an inn-matesplace made me query this.

Photo safari-like, with an instructor/guest photog vs a class sitting at a desk. I know they advertisie them all the time all over. People make getaways out of them as a way to see a new part of the country they have never seen. Just wondering if anyone here has done anything similar?

Photo safari-like, with an instructor/guest photog vs a class sitting at a desk. I know they advertisie them all the time all over. People make getaways out of them as a way to see a new part of the country they have never seen. Just wondering if anyone here has done anything similar?.
Never have seen one around here but certainly opens up a world of opportunities if you market it right I think. I would love to get some real pointers on how to take better photos. :)

Photo safari-like, with an instructor/guest photog vs a class sitting at a desk. I know they advertisie them all the time all over. People make getaways out of them as a way to see a new part of the country they have never seen. Just wondering if anyone here has done anything similar?.
That sounds like fun! Are you planning to do this with your guests?

Bree said:
I would hire a professional to take them out - the beauty is that these days you don't have to go into a lab and develop and print them, you could pop a card into a laptop and view it right then and there and then of course use photo software as needed later. :)
I have been contacted by a couple professional photogs, not for this purpose, but they always like to make a few extra bucks. Any ideas anyone has - please feel free to share.
Here is what I drummed up from an internet search - I am thinking Outdoor Photography Retreat: Wildlife and Birding. Since we have official wildlife and birding trails - loops - nearby.
http://www.chesapeakeretreats.com/photography.htm
http://www.blue-dog.com.au/Workshops-retreats-photography.htm

http://www.rivervalley.co.nz/retreats-workshops.html

Hey! Extra credit - photograph some food (I have an idea, breakfast foods... tee hee)
I could give away a night or GC for the best shot to be used on our website!

That sounds like a great package idea. It wouldn't be overly taxing to set up...nor would it leave you completely wiped out when it was over.
Are you thinking you'd do it in the on season or something for the off season?

I've thought about doing something like. I already offer a similar guided nature walk with a local enthusiast, but I haven't had anyone book it lately so I have to see if he's still around and doing it.
The challenge for me is to find the guides. They have to have enough qualifications (not necessarily on paper) to justify a guest paying for their services, plus they have to be willing to come out here (or meet a guest somewhere not too far), plus they can't rely on this for income because the customers for this are few and sporadic.

I think it would have to be an inn-season event for the most part. But who knows.
We have a national monument nearby with rangers who do guided walks - once a month it will be on a diff subject, insects, flora and fauna, etc.
I wonder is our parks and rec department would be interested in this to bring folks into the area?
We have the ESPN Bassmaster tournament this weekend, and in two weeks the big canoe river race.

I think it would have to be an inn-season event for the most part. But who knows.
We have a national monument nearby with rangers who do guided walks - once a month it will be on a diff subject, insects, flora and fauna, etc.
I wonder is our parks and rec department would be interested in this to bring folks into the area?
We have the ESPN Bassmaster tournament this weekend, and in two weeks the big canoe river race..
Funny, I offered guests a choice of 2 bird walks this weekend. One met at 8 AM and the other at 9 AM. No takers, groans all around about getting up that early!

We have the ESPN Bassmaster tournament this weekend, and in two weeks the big canoe river race..
Funny, I offered guests a choice of 2 bird walks this weekend. One met at 8 AM and the other at 9 AM. No takers, groans all around about getting up that early!
Sorry but 8 or 9 am is too early for me too..especially if I am on a vacation:)

excerpt from iloveinns newsletter:
(Note from JBJ - yes, sometimes I am paranoid as these things crop up after I mention them. But I know this newsletter was not just written last night, so no paranoia on this one.
confused_smile.gif
)
PHOTO Contest
Is spring the most gorgeous time at your property? If so, it's the right time to invite all your local photographers to come and take a look at your inn. You could run a contest among both guests and photographers from the community. You could offer a prize such as "the best photo entry receives a two-night stay midweek"--a compelling offer to those looking for a Mother's Day gift or return getaway. Request permission to use any photos submitted and agree to credit the photographer.
If you have blossoms now, the time is at hand to call photographers and invite them for a field day. Add a sample of your breakfast and make a little party of it. Seeing your inn through the eyes of others will give you a lift as well.
To add to [FONT=&quot]your [/FONT]contest, we will give a copy of America's best selling B&B guidebook, ([FONT=&quot]Bed & Breakfasts and Country Inns[/FONT]) signed by the author, to the top 12 eye-stopping spring inn photos by June 15. Send photos via e-mail to [email protected]. Also submit under categories for the contest--Best B&B Nature Photo, Best B&B Blossoms, Best Wildlife or a category you make up.
One photo could be responsible for drawing in 30 or more reservations. An innkeeper in Connecticut has seen a higher increase in reservations every time the photo of her Bradbury and Bradbury ceilinged room was included in a monthly ad she ran.

(Note from JBJ - yes, sometimes I am paranoid as these things crop up after I mention them. But I know this newsletter was not just written last night, so no paranoia on this one.
confused_smile.gif
)
PHOTO Contest
Is spring the most gorgeous time at your property? If so, it's the right time to invite all your local photographers to come and take a look at your inn. You could run a contest among both guests and photographers from the community. You could offer a prize such as "the best photo entry receives a two-night stay midweek"--a compelling offer to those looking for a Mother's Day gift or return getaway. Request permission to use any photos submitted and agree to credit the photographer.
If you have blossoms now, the time is at hand to call photographers and invite them for a field day. Add a sample of your breakfast and make a little party of it. Seeing your inn through the eyes of others will give you a lift as well.
To add to [FONT=&quot]your [/FONT]contest, we will give a copy of America's best selling B&B guidebook, ([FONT=&quot]Bed & Breakfasts and Country Inns[/FONT]) signed by the author, to the top 12 eye-stopping spring inn photos by June 15. Send photos via e-mail to [email protected]. Also submit under categories for the contest--Best B&B Nature Photo, Best B&B Blossoms, Best Wildlife or a category you make up.
One photo could be responsible for drawing in 30 or more reservations. An innkeeper in Connecticut has seen a higher increase in reservations every time the photo of her Bradbury and Bradbury ceilinged room was included in a monthly ad she ran. .
So I'm paranoid for you...ha, ha...that's the first thing I thought when I read that email!

confused_smile.gif
)
PHOTO Contest
One photo could be responsible for drawing in 30 or more reservations. An innkeeper in Connecticut has seen a higher increase in reservations every time the photo of her Bradbury and Bradbury ceilinged room was included in a monthly ad she ran. .
So I'm paranoid for you...ha, ha...that's the first thing I thought when I read that email!
Bree said:
Well if nothing else this forum is the LEADER in this industry on hot topics now! Not surprising they browse our topics and respond to them!!!!
Blog and photog stuff...hm. That is okay, more to discuss and hash out. Good deal!

Speaking of nature photos... I really MUST bring my camera with me every time I set foot outside. I walked over to the beaver pond this afternoon and watched a beaver swimming back and forth just a few feet away from me, slapping his tail to tell me to stop clearing out the culvert that he so carefully stopped up.
And two nights ago hubby and I discovered a porcupine snacking on a wooden potting table right up against the house! We chased him (ambled, really, porcupines don't move all that fast) off into the woods.
Either of these critters would've made great photo subjects for my blog. Must keep camera handy!!

Back