Porsche

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
I offer free electric vehicle (EV) charging to anyone. As an EV owner myself, I realize the HUGE importance of getting a charge when needed.

I have a dedicated Tesla high power charger, and a generic lower power charger for the rest. Today I noticed an Porsche EV at my low power charger. Beautiful car. There's a Tesla supercharger just 45 minutes from me, but they foolishly chose the Porsche name over the wonderful Tesla supercharger network. Oh well. Maybe they will book a room someday.

porsche.jpg

Yes, free to anybody. As one who, like our old friend Jane (Innkeep) has know the personal angst of needing a place to charge in a world that only offers gas pumps, I give free juice to any electric vehicle driver in need. It's my version of helping others. It's not really my nature and pretty much the only nice thing I do!

I offer free electric vehicle (EV) charging to anyone. As an EV owner myself, I realize the HUGE importance of getting a charge when needed.

I have a dedicated Tesla high power charger, and a generic lower power charger for the rest. Today I noticed an Porsche EV at my low power charger. Beautiful car. There's a Tesla supercharger just 45 minutes from me, but they foolishly chose the Porsche name over the wonderful Tesla supercharger network. Oh well. Maybe they will book a room someday.
A Porsche EV likely wouldn't fit my budget so I drive a Chevy Bolt EUV but carry an adaptor that would allow me to use your Tesla destination charger. Sadly, not useful at superchargers but nice to see that they are rolling out some availability for lesser makes.

https://www.bulbs.com/product/TESLA...5283&utm_content=[ADL] [PLA] New Manufacturer

I leave my chargers on at all times (Himself wanted me to flip the breakers when they were no on use - I said no). In 2017 when I was in Finland I got a phone call from a woman in a panic who was asking if I really had a charger. I gave her directions and di nit even mention a fee. (She did not need another worry & I was not there to collect it anyway.)

However, I have to pay for that electricity. IF I go places I must buy my gas and I se no reason for me to also pay for their fuel. Why should they get a free ride on my nickel? They are still paying less than I am for gas - my 10 gallon tank is over $30 to fill so the $20 I am charging for a top up charge is not out of line. It is an amenity for guests. I even offer them my Library with TV & offer coffee/tea (and point out the facilities should it be needed) while they charge up.

I would think someone who could afford a Porche EV would be able to chip in $10 to cover your electric bill. Kudos to your generosity, but you're a better person than me!

I would think someone who could afford a Porche EV would be able to chip in $10 to cover your electric bill. Kudos to your generosity, but you're a better person than me!
If I had a convenient way to charge them, like put $5 in the machine and it gives them $5 worth of electricity, I'd do that. But I'm usually not even there, so no way to charge and monitor it all. It's either give it away and hope they decide to come stay sometime, or nobody gets it.

A Porsche EV likely wouldn't fit my budget so I drive a Chevy Bolt EUV but carry an adaptor that would allow me to use your Tesla destination charger. Sadly, not useful at superchargers but nice to see that they are rolling out some availability for lesser makes.
Tesla is looking into how to make their supercharger network available to non-Teslas, with a fee of course. They are lobbying to have their plugs the national standard, and there's a good chance that will happen.

It's customary in the Tesla world to gift the person providing you with the charge a nice bottle of wine. I would think you could put a nice sign out that says, "please donate $20 to help cover the cost of..." I would imagine you could put a QR code on the sign for Venmo and they could scan it and pay you directly and easily. I would personally do it as a thank you and if you were really creative, you could make it fun by giving them options with funny titles (e.g. Option A: Buy us Dinner $xx, Option B: Buy us a nice bottle of wine $xx, Option C: Help put our grandkids through college $xx, etc.).

I have to move my car out of the driveway for them to access the chargers. So far, only one has stiffed me. I told him it was $20 for a charge and invited him into the comfortable Library & offered coffee or tea. He said he did not have any cash. Told him no problem, I just have to get the gizmo. While I was in the house getting it, he went to the restaurant up the street for lunch. Before I could go out with the Square, he drove off. He has to look himself in the mirror. What goes around, comes around. All the others have been nice people.

Tesla is looking into how to make their supercharger network available to non-Teslas, with a fee of course. They are lobbying to have their plugs the national standard, and there's a good chance that will happen.
From what I see Tesla has rolled out a couple of the "Tesla dock" chargers in California and maybe 8 or 10 in New York, maybe that process has begun. Tesla connector sure is nicer than the CSS connector.

Ever think of putting up a sign with a Venmo address? Tip us for the usage of our electricity...

Ever think of putting up a sign with a Venmo address? Tip us for the usage of our electricity...
Scott Crumpton suggested that, too, and it's a great idea, if I can figure out how to set it up. I installed the Venmo app and set up an account. I also created a business account and linked it to my bank account to receive deposits. I got the QR code that's linked to tip my business.

But when I try to pay myself a test "tip" it always says, "Something went wrong. Try again later." So I'll keep tinkering with it and I'm sure I'll get it working. Thanks to you and Scott for the suggestion!

Scott Crumpton suggested that, too, and it's a great idea, if I can figure out how to set it up. I installed the Venmo app and set up an account. I also created a business account and linked it to my bank account to receive deposits. I got the QR code that's linked to tip my business.

But when I try to pay myself a test "tip" it always says, "Something went wrong. Try again later." So I'll keep tinkering with it and I'm sure I'll get it working. Thanks to you and Scott for the suggestion!
I don't think Venmo allows you to send money to and from the same account. If you'd like to test it by sending me money, I'll give you my account name....

It would be fun if @Arks suddenly discovers that a QR code for donations has been there for a few months without him knowing about it :)
Is there anything that prevents strangers from placing a sticker on the charger? :)

Is there anything that prevents strangers from placing a sticker on the charger? :)
Indeed, I suppose it's possible someone could put a QR sticker somewhere and have the money go to themself! I'd never even know it.

Back