Price point where people expect 'a certain experience'?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skamokawa

Reaction score
On another thread - a small sidetrack discussion about Air and how some might think the Air experience is a typical B&B experience.
Some say bookings on Air are driven by price. I think price is one consideration of several.
Another innkeeper on the forum is very clear in the Air description that they run a professional traditional B&B. We are clear about that also. We do not discount on Air (or anywhere else). It seems those who book from Air are anticipating a professional experience and don't cringe at paying for it.
I do wonder how many legal B&Bs are using Air as a directory. In our local area - all do. In a nearby small city - none. With Air's extensive reach directly to people who are looking for lodging, I wonder that more of all kinds of lodgings are not listing rooms this way. I just wonder when everyone is going to figure this out and when Air will start soaking the lodgings for it.
And I wonder what the price point is - and I suspect it varies from market to market - where guests expect luxury and a more hotel experience. Rambling here as I am manning the front door and side cleaning during demolition of two showers.
And a guest will be using one of the new ones on Friday.
Fingers crossed.

Yes, the price point is dependent on the location. We're listed on air for $159. There are $900/night places on the water in my town.
We got 4 reservations last year and not another one since last July. I'm not taking the listing down, but I don't expect to get any other reservations.
There are lots of places in my town for a lot less. You're in a house with the family. Breakfast? Maybe.
When I did our listing I copied the listing the way BD did hers.

Sure price is a factor, it is with most people. Price point is another and it would depend on what you are getting for that price.
At the onset of Air I am sure the price point for most people looking was very low after all it started out as a 'couch stay' directory and has expanded quite a bit.
We modeled our listing from BD as well and clearly point out that we are licensed and 'in business for X yrs'.
In an effort to give a more competitive price range, we have a single person price as the base price with an add-on cost for an additional guest. The single person price is the same as what I do for business guests on weekdays.
So far no takers but it does not surprise me as the site is not very user friendly when searching on locations such as mine.

Ditto with the BD copycat listing. Very clear we're a licensed B&B and do not give a price break. Had four last year, so far none.

Here's something to think about - when they go to b-com and the rest, when they search on all those sites they are ONLY touting the price, the price is everything, that is all they want. Search for lowest price and they all fight to say they are offering it.
You, your website, needs to be about value and the experience you provide. When you look at b-com or expedeeuh they line them up back to back - have AAA, AARP, Military, etc. price price price. They are only selling rooms, not the B&B experience.
Just wanted to share that here, if you list with b-com expect the guests to not be "B&B people" as we use that term.

Back