Privacy

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a patio but it is wide open to the guest areas, some days we don't get to sit out because we know we'll be bombarded with questions, etc. I wish we had an outside space totally removed from the guest areas but our layout doesn't allow it. Make yours even more private than you think it will need to be, if you're out with music or candles it's like a beacon!.
I know. Last year, we lit the grill and a couple guests came running. They thought the house was on fire. I was appreciative of their caring, but we just wanted a burger, you know? :)
Totally know! I really do enjoy people, I know I sound like the biggest curmudgeon on the planet but it's just on this forum where I come to vent. When the day begins at 5 AM every day without a break for months, I need to just be DONE (versus ON) by the evening.

Privacy is super important to us. We have a separate little house on the property with our own fenced little back yard & deck. Our house has only a tiny shower and we really wanted to be able to soak like our guests do. We added a spa on our deck so we can feel a little pampered. One thing that makes innkeepers burn out faster is resenting all the good stuff we own is saved for the guests.
We all need some private space.

We have a building behind the B&B that we hope to one day, make our own little place. Right now, we live on the far part of the house with the kitchen attaching the two parts. We sit in the kitchen in the evenings with our doors closed and DH has his private space in the garage/workspace/man cave. We're only really busy for about four months and the rest of the time, take advantage of the quiet.
Wish I had some of that now......

We have a small deck off the party room which is there as a fire escape but we made it big enough to sit on 2 Adirondack chairs. Quite private but not 100%. We never use it.
IF I want to sit in the sun I have a spot on my "former tennis court" (now a parking lot) under a low hanging tree (and my chaise). Private except that we now have a neighbor who can see me there (new this year). Yuck.
Sometimes I tuck the chaise in around the corner in the wedding garden so it is not a clear shot view from the come/go hall most-used by guests. They might see me at a distance from #2 parking lot.
For dining in private we may take our food into the party room if we really want to avoid guests OR shut the hall doors to LR and DR for a half hour.
I have one other area where we could go in the yard where few guests would ever find us.... but I spend more time on my PC than the average person (since I don't look chat groups up on a tablet or a phone) so it is inconvenient to be outside while doing it.
Sometimes going out to dinner is just easier.

We have a deck that is partly hidden by the building and trees and is 'upstairs'. We can see the parking lot so we know if a car has pulled in because we can't hear the doorbell out there. As evidenced by a resourceful 16 yo guest who last summer came around the back and yelled, "There's someone at the door! I let them in and said I'd go get you." So happy he didn't just come thru my apt to find me. (He's been a guest since he was 7, so he's kinda comfortable here.) He probably could have done the whole check-in process on his own and just told me later..
Morticia said:
We have a deck that is partly hidden by the building and trees and is 'upstairs'. We can see the parking lot so we know if a car has pulled in because we can't hear the doorbell out there. As evidenced by a resourceful 16 yo guest who last summer came around the back and yelled, "There's someone at the door! I let them in and said I'd go get you." So happy he didn't just come thru my apt to find me. (He's been a guest since he was 7, so he's kinda comfortable here.) He probably could have done the whole check-in process on his own and just told me later.
thumbs_up.gif
Does he need a summer job?!?!?
Get a plug in doorbell; you can hear it anywhere you have an electrical outlet and can move it when you go to your private space. Our migrates to the back patio and to our "residence" (3rd floor with blind spot).

We have a deck that is partly hidden by the building and trees and is 'upstairs'. We can see the parking lot so we know if a car has pulled in because we can't hear the doorbell out there. As evidenced by a resourceful 16 yo guest who last summer came around the back and yelled, "There's someone at the door! I let them in and said I'd go get you." So happy he didn't just come thru my apt to find me. (He's been a guest since he was 7, so he's kinda comfortable here.) He probably could have done the whole check-in process on his own and just told me later..
Morticia said:
We have a deck that is partly hidden by the building and trees and is 'upstairs'. We can see the parking lot so we know if a car has pulled in because we can't hear the doorbell out there. As evidenced by a resourceful 16 yo guest who last summer came around the back and yelled, "There's someone at the door! I let them in and said I'd go get you." So happy he didn't just come thru my apt to find me. (He's been a guest since he was 7, so he's kinda comfortable here.) He probably could have done the whole check-in process on his own and just told me later.
thumbs_up.gif
Does he need a summer job?!?!?
Get a plug in doorbell; you can hear it anywhere you have an electrical outlet and can move it when you go to your private space. Our migrates to the back patio and to our "residence" (3rd floor with blind spot).
Garden_Pix_Inn said:
Our doorbell rings in 3 separate locations - outside my bedroom door, in the dining room and outside so guests can hear they've pushed the buzzer. (That was a truly brilliant addition. Before that guests leaned on the bell because they couldn't hear it outside.)

Latest posts

Back