Private vs Shared vs En Suite- Semantics

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always have used the term Private bath for my connected bathrooms. Never occured to me that some may think they are detached until now. I do have ensuite listed mainly for Euro guests but many Americans question it.
For those it seems that they think the bath is IN the room, maybe seperated by a curtain - NO wall! I know of one of these in our region & no way would I want that so I can understand.
Maybe Arkie is right, don't try to shorten it to private, detached,.... spell it out for all to understand. But then, these people would have to read.
cry_smile.gif

I've always have used the term Private bath for my connected bathrooms. Never occured to me that some may think they are detached until now. I do have ensuite listed mainly for Euro guests but many Americans question it.
For those it seems that they think the bath is IN the room, maybe seperated by a curtain - NO wall! I know of one of these in our region & no way would I want that so I can understand.
Maybe Arkie is right, don't try to shorten it to private, detached,.... spell it out for all to understand. But then, these people would have to read.
cry_smile.gif
I use 'en suite' because every HGTV show now uses that when talking about the bathrooms. 'Hallway bathroom' or 'en suite bathroom.' That show is filmed all over the country with realtors using those words. Just plain folks are being edumacated in droves. 'And here's your en suite...'
If all the bathrooms were in the rooms, I would have a sweeping statement at the top of the rooms section and in every description. I would say either 'en suite' or 'bathroom in the room' altho that DOES make ME think there is no wall. Just the way I read it.
Sure people ask. But I think that if they READ the descriptions or look at the room chart they see the distinction and they dope slpa themselves and say, 'THAT'S what it means!'

cry_smile.gif
I use 'en suite' because every HGTV show now uses that when talking about the bathrooms. 'Hallway bathroom' or 'en suite bathroom.' That show is filmed all over the country with realtors using those words. Just plain folks are being edumacated in droves. 'And here's your en suite...'
If all the bathrooms were in the rooms, I would have a sweeping statement at the top of the rooms section and in every description. I would say either 'en suite' or 'bathroom in the room' altho that DOES make ME think there is no wall. Just the way I read it.
Sure people ask. But I think that if they READ the descriptions or look at the room chart they see the distinction and they dope slpa themselves and say, 'THAT'S what it means!'
I get to the point sometimes when I think do they need a floor plan? ie measure the room do a scale plan for each one with bathroom and put it next to the room pictures? not that they will read it

cry_smile.gif
I get to the point sometimes when I think do they need a floor plan? ie measure the room do a scale plan for each one with bathroom and put it next to the room pictures? not that they will read it
I have that but it requires that you click a link to see it. The page itself doesn't get much traffic. I may just append it to the bottom of the rooms page at some point.

cry_smile.gif
I have that but it requires that you click a link to see it. The page itself doesn't get much traffic. I may just append it to the bottom of the rooms page at some point.
Madeleine said:
I like the idea of a floor plan being part of each room's page. Not everyone understands words as well as pictures. Sometimes when you are trying to sneak a peek or rez at lunch you don't have the mind set to interpret the words and as they say a picture is worth a thousand words.
I intend on having both a floor plan and a property map as part of the room pictures, so they don't have to click another page it will just be part of the slide show, you can highlight each room for each page so they know exactly where that room, and or bathroom is in relation to everything else.

cry_smile.gif
Madeleine said:
I like the idea of a floor plan being part of each room's page. Not everyone understands words as well as pictures. Sometimes when you are trying to sneak a peek or rez at lunch you don't have the mind set to interpret the words and as they say a picture is worth a thousand words.
I intend on having both a floor plan and a property map as part of the room pictures, so they don't have to click another page it will just be part of the slide show, you can highlight each room for each page so they know exactly where that room, and or bathroom is in relation to everything else.
Weaver said:
Madeleine said:
I love that too, for myself I like to pick the location of the room moreso than the amenities! Someone told me yesterday after seeing two of our king beds that the inn they always go to has full size beds in every room, as it is an historic inn, and they wanted to keep the beds the same as the era. This person was tall, and said it was difficult.
So besides bed size, that is the main focus of how I choose a room, like a sunrise side of the house. Thinking about Arkie's recent stay in a room with no windows, I would have had a revolt, I could not do that. I know MOST of our guests close the blinds and never look out, but I do! I want to see out! A change of view is important.

Though we have private bathrooms attached to each room, we also have an outhouse on the property. How should we describe that?
That reminds me of a famouse book: "Fifty feet to the Outhouse" by Willie Makeit and Betty Don't.

cry_smile.gif
Madeleine said:
we have an access statement which tells you (its required by law here) how many steps to each floor which rooms are on each floor, how many steps into the building etc. However can tell by my web site stats no one is looking at it!

Though we have private bathrooms attached to each room, we also have an outhouse on the property. How should we describe that?
That reminds me of a famouse book: "Fifty feet to the Outhouse" by Willie Makeit and Betty Don't..
Proud Texan said:
That reminds me of a famouse book: "Fifty feet to the Outhouse" by Willie Makeit and Betty Don't.
I have a a two seater outhouse on my current property, you can "go" with a friend. It is original to the property before they had indoor plumbing or reliable indoor plumbing anyway.

cry_smile.gif
Madeleine said:
Weaver said:
Madeleine said:
I love that too, for myself I like to pick the location of the room moreso than the amenities! Someone told me yesterday after seeing two of our king beds that the inn they always go to has full size beds in every room, as it is an historic inn, and they wanted to keep the beds the same as the era. This person was tall, and said it was difficult.
So besides bed size, that is the main focus of how I choose a room, like a sunrise side of the house. Thinking about Arkie's recent stay in a room with no windows, I would have had a revolt, I could not do that. I know MOST of our guests close the blinds and never look out, but I do! I want to see out! A change of view is important.
JB - I am with you, I like to see the sunrise, even when on vacation. In working on the potential design for the owner's part of the "place" I am sighting it so my bedroom faces East. I want the morning sun!!!
The view is worth so much, even if the silly guests never look out the window, they know it is there.
I have known people who only want rooms next to the stairs, or those that want to be at the end of the hallway, or those that want east or west facing rooms. I think a floor plan of a multi room inn is vital to the guest's understanding of how the place is set up.
I am going to have it for the cabins and the main lodge as well. It just helps get a sense of the place for the guest, IMVHO.

That reminds me of a famouse book: "Fifty feet to the Outhouse" by Willie Makeit and Betty Don't..
Proud Texan said:
I have a a two seater outhouse on my current property, you can "go" with a friend. It is original to the property before they had indoor plumbing or reliable indoor plumbing anyway.
Weaver said:
Proud Texan said:
We didn't have a 2-seater in our last house, but we DID have 2 separate his and hers outhouses attached to the shed, which was attached to the house. Our 'Y2K bathroom' we called it.

cry_smile.gif
Madeleine said:
we have an access statement which tells you (its required by law here) how many steps to each floor which rooms are on each floor, how many steps into the building etc. However can tell by my web site stats no one is looking at it!
I was following a tipper truck down the road the other day and on the back was a whole list of safety instructions in tiny print and I thought to myself I bet some there's some health and safety rule that says all trucks have to have this on and I bet no-one who ever uses the truck bothers to read them.

Proud Texan said:
I grew up with a 2-seater out back. My Daddy's name was Never Round Tuit. When we moved to town, he put in the cistern and septic tank (and bathroom) for the renters. The worst part was the spiders big enough to saddle.
Then there is the other famous book - Under the Bleachers by Seymour Butts

What about Canadians? Do they prefer private bathrooms aswell, or are they more okay with shared bathrooms? I'm just wondering if it's an all around thing, or specific areas thing.

What about Canadians? Do they prefer private bathrooms aswell, or are they more okay with shared bathrooms? I'm just wondering if it's an all around thing, or specific areas thing..
Olga said:
What about Canadians? Do they prefer private bathrooms aswell, or are they more okay with shared bathrooms? I'm just wondering if it's an all around thing, or specific areas thing.
Europeans are less likely to balk at the detached bath. But, that is getting less true as the years go by. Canadians are a lot like Americans in wanting an en suite bath and not a detached.

What about Canadians? Do they prefer private bathrooms aswell, or are they more okay with shared bathrooms? I'm just wondering if it's an all around thing, or specific areas thing..
Olga said:
Europeans are less likely to balk at the detached bath. But, that is getting less true as the years go by. Canadians are a lot like Americans in wanting an en suite bath and not a detached.
It does depend. En suite is definitely prefered by older folks versus younger folks.
One of my ad sources is almost entirely phone calls for people who want en suite for a cheap price at the last minute.
That's the reason that I'm on the wall about renewing my listing with them, almost all the calls and emails are of this type.

Back