Programmable Locks

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ours is made by Weiser Lock. There is no attached instruction on how to reprogram the code anywhere on the outside of the unit.
As Joey mentioned, the unlocking mechanism slows down as the battery life dwindles indicating when it's time to change the battery. If it doesn't get changed, the deadbolt will only retract halfway and the door won't open.
As for noise, you probably wouldn't hear it operating if you're in an adjacent room with the doors closed.
Overall, I'm happy with this unit. It was on sale for an excellent price from Costco (can't quite remember exactly what it was)..
We paid about $100 for our Weiser programable lock about 4 years ago. Our bedroom is 2 rooms (or one door) from the front door. We can hear the guests hit the code buttons. If they mess up (or the door messes up) we can hear that, too, and rescue the guests. After a couple of failed attempts, the high pitched alarm goes off for about 5-10 seconds, indicating failure.
We have two codes. 1) our personal code what doesn't change; and 2) the guest code that we can change at will.
When it is cold, sometimes the guests may have to enter the code at least twice. The other night, it didn't retract all the way and I had to intervene.

Ours is made by Weiser Lock. There is no attached instruction on how to reprogram the code anywhere on the outside of the unit.
As Joey mentioned, the unlocking mechanism slows down as the battery life dwindles indicating when it's time to change the battery. If it doesn't get changed, the deadbolt will only retract halfway and the door won't open.
As for noise, you probably wouldn't hear it operating if you're in an adjacent room with the doors closed.
Overall, I'm happy with this unit. It was on sale for an excellent price from Costco (can't quite remember exactly what it was)..
We paid about $100 for our Weiser programable lock about 4 years ago. Our bedroom is 2 rooms (or one door) from the front door. We can hear the guests hit the code buttons. If they mess up (or the door messes up) we can hear that, too, and rescue the guests. After a couple of failed attempts, the high pitched alarm goes off for about 5-10 seconds, indicating failure.
We have two codes. 1) our personal code what doesn't change; and 2) the guest code that we can change at will.
When it is cold, sometimes the guests may have to enter the code at least twice. The other night, it didn't retract all the way and I had to intervene.
remnjava said:
We paid about $100 for our Weiser programable lock about 4 years ago. ..... When it is cold, sometimes the guests may have to enter the code at least twice. The other night, it didn't retract all the way and I had to intervene.
The Weiser ones must be sensitive to different types of weather...as I previously stated that they flaked out during lighting storms too.

Just wanted to relate this story:
Had three guest rooms this morning, all checked out, none for a few days so I put the closed sign on the front door, double locked the second bolt.
About 330pm I hear a pounding on the door "Hello Hello!" I go out there - which I normally wouldn't but it might be UPS/Fedex at that time of day.
Some scraggly grottie looking character is there in a dirty greasy hoodie and baseball cap. He shoves a $10 bill in toward my face and says "I need change for this, do you have two fives?"
I reply, "NO. SORRY." and shut the door and relock. It is of course, already locked, only accessible for those with the code.
I see him meander down the front steps kinda looking around. Why would he want two fives? I have no idea other than a ploy to come IN HERE or LOOK IN HERE for later on.
Across the street are apartments in an old brick house, the teen boy runs up the outside steps to the apartment above - his aunt or granny lives up there. I watch as this greaseball sees what I saw and then make a bee line across the street to the front door of the main bottom apartment, slowly turn the knob (hey its unlocked!) and go right in.
I grab the phone and wait, not sure if he came from there to begin with, very doubtful, I wait for someone to toss him out or him to come out. Hm. Just then a school bus pulls up and I see him now beyond it walking up the street.
Meanwhile I put the phone back on its cradle.
4pm he is across the street again in front of the main apartment door (the one he went in on his own earlier) and the little granny is standing there peering out and he has that Tenner shoved up in her face. She shakes her head no no and slams the door closed.
He gets into a dirty beater compact car and drives away. No license number visible from my viewpoint. I call the local town police and they are here within minutes cruising our street. They really have very little to do here, so this is a big deal.
So there ya go, my WHY YOU SHOULD HAVE an access key pad on your front door - story. My first story of the new year. :) Oh except the one I sent out to a few innmates about the lovely ultra wonderful guests I had - starting out the new year in style! Remembering why I got into this business, great guests. 2009 ended with bad ones...
pita.gif
And I get laughed at for having locked doors at all.

Had three guest rooms this morning, all checked out, none for a few days so I put the closed sign on the front door, double locked the second bolt.
About 330pm I hear a pounding on the door "Hello Hello!" I go out there - which I normally wouldn't but it might be UPS/Fedex at that time of day.
Some scraggly grottie looking character is there in a dirty greasy hoodie and baseball cap. He shoves a $10 bill in toward my face and says "I need change for this, do you have two fives?"
I reply, "NO. SORRY." and shut the door and relock. It is of course, already locked, only accessible for those with the code.
I see him meander down the front steps kinda looking around. Why would he want two fives? I have no idea other than a ploy to come IN HERE or LOOK IN HERE for later on.
Across the street are apartments in an old brick house, the teen boy runs up the outside steps to the apartment above - his aunt or granny lives up there. I watch as this greaseball sees what I saw and then make a bee line across the street to the front door of the main bottom apartment, slowly turn the knob (hey its unlocked!) and go right in.
I grab the phone and wait, not sure if he came from there to begin with, very doubtful, I wait for someone to toss him out or him to come out. Hm. Just then a school bus pulls up and I see him now beyond it walking up the street.
4pm he is across the street again in front of the main apartment door (the one he went in on his own earlier) and the little granny is standing there peering out and he has that Tenner shoved up in her face. She shakes her head no no and slams the door closed.
He gets into a dirty beater compact car and drives away. No license number visible from my viewpoint. I call the local town police and they are here within minutes cruising our street. They really have very little to do here, so this is a big deal.
So there ya go, my WHY YOU SHOULD HAVE an access key pad on your front door - story. My first story of the new year. :) Oh except the one I sent out to a few innmates about the lovely ultra wonderful guests I had - starting out the new year in style! Remembering why I got into this business, great guests. 2009 ended with bad ones...
pita.gif
We get some weird people - yesterday we had gone to the supermarket chap turned up at the door - smelled like he had hand washed his clothes in urine and that's putting it mildly - chamber maid didn't know what to do so let him sit in the lounge - took air freshner and scented candles to get the smell out!
We have a large tramp community who live in the woods in good weather but get in where they can when its bad so we try and be especially carefull when its cold

pita.gif
We get some weird people - yesterday we had gone to the supermarket chap turned up at the door - smelled like he had hand washed his clothes in urine and that's putting it mildly - chamber maid didn't know what to do so let him sit in the lounge - took air freshner and scented candles to get the smell out!
We have a large tramp community who live in the woods in good weather but get in where they can when its bad so we try and be especially carefull when its cold
Jcam said:
Jcam, why did you post this on a thread from 2010? Glad I figured that out before I started to answer the original post!

pita.gif
Jcam said:
Jcam, why did you post this on a thread from 2010? Glad I figured that out before I started to answer the original post!
To make Arks ask questions?!?!?
wink_smile.gif

pita.gif
Jcam said:
wink_smile.gif

Duff2014 said:
wink_smile.gif
She succeeded.

Back