Question about phrasing

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i had a guest who wanted to leave when she discovered no tv and no phone in her room. she was here to take an art class ... but wanted those amenities ... she said she HAD to have them. she stomped out the door and across the street to the hotel to inquire and discovered ... no phones, no tv's in their rooms ... came back to me and said 'what kind of town is this anyway?' no cell phone signal, either ... i could only offer her wifi.
seashanty said:
i had a guest who wanted to leave when she discovered no tv and no phone in her room. she was here to take an art class ... but wanted those amenities ... she said she HAD to have them. she stomped out the door and across the street to the hotel to inquire and discovered ... no phones, no tv's in their rooms ... came back to me and said 'what kind of town is this anyway?' no cell phone signal, either ... i could only offer her wifi
I have had this happen twice to our only NO TV room and we finally got in there and added cable, a royal pain, but now we don't have to deal with it. The last guest (the final straw) was IRATE, there was no telling him "Well it says right here no tv" he was irate and it was with DH who checked him in or I would have probably cried. It was also good DH checked him in to hear it for himself and get him into the attic pushing the cable and me pulling it into the room. This man acted like we did it on purpose or something, just for him, yeah that's right, just you dude! We knew we wouldn't like you! I said to him "Some people actually request no tv" as he left.
But there is the weather channel - right now we have a warning on outside, big claps of thunder, and there is the news, the ball games and those stupid reality shows people cannot miss when they travel.
I watch tv, so I can understand, but it ain't gonna be HDTV, hate to tell them!
....and there is the news, the ball games and those stupid reality shows people cannot miss when they travel.Just had a chuckle with that! Not long ago I had a business guest that came to check in (had a reservation) and asked, "Would it be OK if I went right up to my room, ____ (fill in reality show) is coming on in 2 minutes. I promise to come down right after its over check in." Can you see that happening at a hotel?
How about the couple who came here and plopped down on the couch, turned on the TV and were happily watching without checking in! When I came out with their paperwork, they jumped up and said, 'Oh, no, that's not the price you told us on the phone!' And I realized they stopped at the wrong place. So, they turned the TV off and went elsewhere!
But that TV show was only thing important to them at the time. Had they been shown a room with a TV, I probably would have had to clean the room once they realized the price was wrong!

i had a guest who wanted to leave when she discovered no tv and no phone in her room. she was here to take an art class ... but wanted those amenities ... she said she HAD to have them. she stomped out the door and across the street to the hotel to inquire and discovered ... no phones, no tv's in their rooms ... came back to me and said 'what kind of town is this anyway?' no cell phone signal, either ... i could only offer her wifi.
seashanty said:
i had a guest who wanted to leave when she discovered no tv and no phone in her room. she was here to take an art class ... but wanted those amenities ... she said she HAD to have them. she stomped out the door and across the street to the hotel to inquire and discovered ... no phones, no tv's in their rooms ... came back to me and said 'what kind of town is this anyway?' no cell phone signal, either ... i could only offer her wifi
I have had this happen twice to our only NO TV room and we finally got in there and added cable, a royal pain, but now we don't have to deal with it. The last guest (the final straw) was IRATE, there was no telling him "Well it says right here no tv" he was irate and it was with DH who checked him in or I would have probably cried. It was also good DH checked him in to hear it for himself and get him into the attic pushing the cable and me pulling it into the room. This man acted like we did it on purpose or something, just for him, yeah that's right, just you dude! We knew we wouldn't like you! I said to him "Some people actually request no tv" as he left.
But there is the weather channel - right now we have a warning on outside, big claps of thunder, and there is the news, the ball games and those stupid reality shows people cannot miss when they travel.
....and there is the news, the ball games and those stupid reality shows people cannot miss when they travel.Just had a chuckle with that! Not long ago I had a business guest that came to check in (had a reservation) and asked, "Would it be OK if I went right up to my room, ____ (fill in reality show) is coming on in 2 minutes. I promise to come down right after its over check in." Can you see that happening at a hotel?
How about the couple who came here and plopped down on the couch, turned on the TV and were happily watching without checking in! When I came out with their paperwork, they jumped up and said, 'Oh, no, that's not the price you told us on the phone!' And I realized they stopped at the wrong place. So, they turned the TV off and went elsewhere!
But that TV show was only thing important to them at the time. Had they been shown a room with a TV, I probably would have had to clean the room once they realized the price was wrong!
As we logged out at Security from our shift, my senior operator says, "hurry up, Chiefie, it is almost time for Dallas!" The TV show was all important - nothing has changed. DH is in his "bat cave" as Reuben calls it with the TV tuned to a CUB game as he listens to the Indy on his satellite radio (because the ABC station is having transmission problems otherwise it would be reversed).

I have Indy on right now, and will have Charlotte Motor Speedway on later... :)
GO BURTON!

seashanty said:
OH NO! I can't believe that happened.... where is your locked door???

seashanty said:
I let them in. They ran to the TV! Wanted to watch some show. He opened his wallet, threw the credit card at me and said they didn't want to miss a minute! Until they realized they wee in the wrong place (price-wise) and then they boogied in the middle of the show!

seashanty said:
I let them in. They ran to the TV! Wanted to watch some show. He opened his wallet, threw the credit card at me and said they didn't want to miss a minute! Until they realized they wee in the wrong place (price-wise) and then they boogied in the middle of the show!
Oh...still can you believe some people...that is too weird..not to even know you have the wrong place. Was it the INdy 500???

seashanty said:
Oh...still can you believe some people...that is too weird..not to even know you have the wrong place. Was it the INdy 500???
THAT I could undestand. No, it was a show that is on every weekday.

Speaking of phrasing, how is THIS from a B&B website I just read:
RESERVATIONS
For reservations or additional information, please email us at(removed by JB).com
You may also contact us by phone at 123-456-7890
Unfortunately, we have had to remove the form because too many people have nothing better to do than email junk and dirty information all day long.
Please email us with your name, address, phone number, email, when you want to arrive and depart, how many people in your party, and any pets.

Thank you and we apologize for the inconvenience.

I would put in the individual room descriptions if the room has a TV or not. Definitely make it clear in the amenities that not all rooms have TVs so that guests won't be disappointed.
"To aid you in getting away from it all, there are no telephones in guest rooms and MOST rooms do NOT have a TV. If you just have to keep up with that special network TV program, please book in our A Room or B room. There is also a shared TV in our guest parlor." :)

I would put in the individual room descriptions if the room has a TV or not. Definitely make it clear in the amenities that not all rooms have TVs so that guests won't be disappointed.
"To aid you in getting away from it all, there are no telephones in guest rooms and MOST rooms do NOT have a TV. If you just have to keep up with that special network TV program, please book in our A Room or B room. There is also a shared TV in our guest parlor." :).
I like your prasing it makes it seem like a bonus feature not to have one rather than a negative.

RESERVATIONS
For reservations or additional information, please email us at(removed by JB).com
Unfortunately, we have had to remove the form because too many people have nothing better to do than email junk and dirty information all day long.
Please email us with your name, address, phone number, email, when you want to arrive and depart, how many people in your party, and any pets.

Thank you and we apologize for the inconvenience..
The sad thing is they're perfectly serious.

"To aid you in getting away from it all, there are no telephones in guest rooms and MOST rooms do NOT have a TV. If you just have to keep up with that special network TV program, please book in our A Room or B room. There is also a shared TV in our guest parlor." :).
Samster said:
"There is also a shared TV in our guest parlor...
and you can arm-wrestle other guests for control of the remote if they want to watch a different special network TV program."

RESERVATIONS

Thank you and we apologize for the inconvenience..
Hey, why not just get an online booking engine?! Yeesh, people. Taking your anger out on potential guests is not a good thing.

Samster said:
and you can arm-wrestle other guests for control of the remote if they want to watch a different special network TV program."
hahaha! Thus, why you should mention that it's not one particular guest's TV. :)
You know how I feel about this, I think at a certain price point at a B&B that guests expect TVs in the guest rooms so that they can watch news, weather, or whatever else that they want.

Samster said:
muirford said:
Samster said:
I have actually had guests ask me how I am going to handle any discrepancies in what each person wants to watch. Ugh. But, that's getting off topic!

Samster said:
hahaha! Thus, why you should mention that it's not one particular guest's TV. :)
You know how I feel about this, I think at a certain price point at a B&B that guests expect TVs in the guest rooms so that they can watch news, weather, or whatever else that they want.
Never mind.

In this country you have to have two types of special liscence to have a tv in a communal area or to play music in them. (this is pants!) So If I want to have the radio on quietly in the background I can't grrr

In this country you have to have two types of special liscence to have a tv in a communal area or to play music in them. (this is pants!) So If I want to have the radio on quietly in the background I can't grrr.
We had to have a commercial account with the cable TV company which covers the licensing fees for broadcasting to 'groups' and not just your family. The same applied for music. Now, however, we have satellite and the their rules are different. You have to have 20 rooms or more or sell alcohol to be considered a 'commercial' property. So, I can turn the satellite radio on and be ok as far as the laws are concerned. And pay 'homeowner' rates instead of commercial rates.

In this country you have to have two types of special liscence to have a tv in a communal area or to play music in them. (this is pants!) So If I want to have the radio on quietly in the background I can't grrr.
We had to have a commercial account with the cable TV company which covers the licensing fees for broadcasting to 'groups' and not just your family. The same applied for music. Now, however, we have satellite and the their rules are different. You have to have 20 rooms or more or sell alcohol to be considered a 'commercial' property. So, I can turn the satellite radio on and be ok as far as the laws are concerned. And pay 'homeowner' rates instead of commercial rates.
These liscences are to do with performing rights and making sure that musicians who wrote music get their dues in case on a tv program they play a tune in the background. We already have to have a TV liscence to have any tv's which is $300 a year then it would be another $300 a year to use it in public areas and then if I wanted to have SKY in the rooms it would be another $50 per room so $600 a month total. We are also going completely digital this year so I am going to buy new tv's (some are old and crappy so its about time left over from the pervious owners) so I will get all the digital channels for free then so would have to have a really good incentive to add sky to the stable.

These liscences are to do with performing rights and making sure that musicians who wrote music get their dues in case on a tv program they play a tune in the background. We already have to have a TV liscence to have any tv's which is $300 a year then it would be another $300 a year to use it in public areas and then if I wanted to have SKY in the rooms it would be another $50 per room so $600 a month total. We are also going completely digital this year so I am going to buy new tv's (some are old and crappy so its about time left over from the pervious owners) so I will get all the digital channels for free then so would have to have a really good incentive to add sky to the stable.
Yup, it's that same sort of license here. BUT, we don't have to pay for the TV's themselves the way you do. If I wanted to add the premium channels (I'm guessing that's what you're calling 'SKY' then that would be an additional fee as well.)
Sorry, no way I would pay $600/month for TELEVISION!

Back