Really?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Momma Smurf

Reaction score
Mom books a room for herself and another for her daughter and friend (H & A) on Aug 29. They were both due to arrive here yesterday at 3:00.
Received this email yesterday at 1:55 PM from Mom:
I am very sorry that I am now unable to get to ** today due to unexpected work/family issues.
I am aware that I unfortunately will not be reimbursed for the cost of the suite.
I regret this change of plans a hope to be able to get to ** in the near future.'
To which I reply:
We are sorry to hear this. We will try our best to re-rent your room, but do still have another vacancy to fill.
We look forward to meeting H & A
And of course the daughter never shows up either. So that's two rooms down.
Finally, another email from Mom at 8:35 PM:
There seems to have been a huge mix up. The room for H and A was for Sunday September 13 not tonight.
There seems to have been confusion since I later reserved for me tonight but the original was for Sunday night.
Is this still an option? We have had some big family issues and things are being confused.
[I see in our RK activity that someone from her town IP address has just checked Sunday for availability]
Simultaneously she calls and launches into (with very emotional voice):
I am out a big amount of money. We are having all sorts of family drama here ... I made this reservation for my daughter for Sunday, you must have been confused, mine was for today.
Me: Sorry, there is no way we can alter the dates of reservations made electronically through RK. Reservation for H & A was also made for today.
Since there's a room open for Sunday, as a courtesy, I'll switch her reservation.
She: Well, I'm willing to pay for half my night.
Me: Um, NO. Sorry, you're responsible for the last minute cancellation an hour before you were due to arrive. Again, moving H's reservation is a courtesy.
Later I send H her revised confirmation, which she acknowledges right away.
Then I send Mom the digitally stamped reservation info from RK, along with the three different time stamped emails that were sent to daughter H clearly stating reservation was for Wednesday, 9.9.
... she's a licensed clinical therapist. Geesh. Am thinking of referring Bob & Emily for a dose of reality....

"Am thinking of referring Bob & Emily for a dose of reality"
giggle

another reason I intend to avoid the phone unless absolutely necessary. Except for regulars.
Mort's 30 calls for an event, etc. People arguing trying to get their deposit back when they screw up.
OTAs, our website - online reservation, email, our automated attendant (press 1, 2, leave message for quick callback, etc.)
I seriously am willing to lose some revenue to avoid some aggravation.

another reason I intend to avoid the phone unless absolutely necessary. Except for regulars.
Mort's 30 calls for an event, etc. People arguing trying to get their deposit back when they screw up.
OTAs, our website - online reservation, email, our automated attendant (press 1, 2, leave message for quick callback, etc.)
I seriously am willing to lose some revenue to avoid some aggravation..
undersea said:
That's because you plan running your future place as a hobby. Most innkeepers don't have that luxury.

Oh yes this was clearly her fault , but I needed to handle it diplomatically to avoid a charge back or a bad Ta review. Ignoring her phone call, would have made her feel more entitled to blame us. She had no issues pushing boundaries, even though she was clearly fibbing. This was no innocent mistake. No way the daughter did not see the 3 prior emails, especially after answering the revised confirmation almost immediately.
Our policies are clear. Who thinks they can email that they will be a no show an hour before and not be responsible ? Who makes a. reservation for their self, then allegedly for their daughter for 4 days later, when they live 3 states away?
Nope, family drama caused them both not to make it. yesterday and the family therapist tried to manipulate us.

undersea said:
That's because you plan running your future place as a hobby. Most innkeepers don't have that luxury.
That is obviously NOT what I said. A B&B is no hobby!!!
What I have said is, every owner needs to strike a balance among the various issues to run their business in a manner that fits them.
Some use OTAs or not. Some have sophisticated social media or not. Some connect with some types of other businesses. Some use AdWords, SEO or other things. Some use RezKey or other booking software. Some have channel allocators. Some have 2-3 rooms or a dozen, Some have large owner's quarters or not. Some have separate cabins. Etc. Etc.
There are others here who do not answer the phone, as has been illustrated in recent posts and threads.

Oh yes this was clearly her fault , but I needed to handle it diplomatically to avoid a charge back or a bad Ta review. Ignoring her phone call, would have made her feel more entitled to blame us. She had no issues pushing boundaries, even though she was clearly fibbing. This was no innocent mistake. No way the daughter did not see the 3 prior emails, especially after answering the revised confirmation almost immediately.
Our policies are clear. Who thinks they can email that they will be a no show an hour before and not be responsible ? Who makes a. reservation for their self, then allegedly for their daughter for 4 days later, when they live 3 states away?
Nope, family drama caused them both not to make it. yesterday and the family therapist tried to manipulate us.
Not sure I would have ignored a phone call, but this is probably the kind of thing I would have preferred via email or something. "Per our policy, ..."
The phone call opens one up to all sorts of emotional baggage.
I get this with tenants. If they call and leave an emotional message, I usually text back. Evictions are always a fun experience.

Not sure I would have ignored a phone call, but this is probably the kind of thing I would have preferred via email or something. "Per our policy, ..."
I get this with tenants. If they call and leave an emotional message, I usually text back. Evictions are always a fun experience.
See above. Was handled via a series of emails. When she wasn't getting her way she called almost sobbing. NOT.

See above. Was handled via a series of emails. When she wasn't getting her way she called almost sobbing. NOT.
WAAAAHHHH. I WANT MY DOLLY DISHES.

And emails leave an audit trail of exactly what was said and asked for, and what was not!!
thumbs_up.gif

undersea said:
What I have said is, every owner needs to strike a balance among the various issues to run their business in a manner that fits them.
Some use OTAs or not. Some have sophisticated social media or not. Some connect with some types of other businesses. Some use AdWords, SEO or other things. Some use RezKey or other booking software. Some have channel allocators. Some have 2-3 rooms or a dozen, Some have large owner's quarters or not. Some have separate cabins. Etc. Etc.
There are others here who do not answer the phone, as has been illustrated in recent posts and threads.
Hobby is probably not a good description, but from other comments you do sound as if you have a good "day job" and are blessed with the ability to run your business in a manner that allows you the choice to strike a balance between business and a personal life, some of us don't or didn't have that choice when we jumped into the lodging business.
When we made the jump twenty plus years ago I gave up my job to go to a desired area, initial jobs here included flipping burgers and delivering newspapers, the business had to carry its own weight and more, yes today I can be a bit more picky and lose a little business as a trade for personal time, but not so in the beginning.

undersea said:
Hobby is probably not a good description, but from other comments you do sound as if you have a good "day job" and are blessed with the ability to run your business in a manner that allows you the choice to strike a balance between business and a personal life, some of us don't or didn't have that choice when we jumped into the lodging business.
When we made the jump twenty plus years ago I gave up my job to go to a desired area, initial jobs here included flipping burgers and delivering newspapers, the business had to carry its own weight and more, yes today I can be a bit more picky and lose a little business as a trade for personal time, but not so in the beginning.
In fact, this is what was written:
"I am doing this less for the money and more for the soul satisfaction."
(https://www.innspiring.com/node/16981#comment-185942)

undersea said:
I appreciate having a decent job, and intend to keep. I also have several rental properties (about equivalent of 10 doors).
But the DW will be doing this as her primary effort.
But there comes a point after many years, you want to do something that feels like it matters, that impacts others. It is one of the reasons I was unhappy earlier with labeling guests in a derogatory fashion, especially for what seems a minor concern. Each person is a precious life, burdened with stressors from the daily to the deadly. Each guest coming through the door is us.
I have been concealed on some of the other things I intend to do, but a B&B is the core, not the whole thing. We are just spinning on trying to find the place with the size, zoning, location, price, etc. that works. Turned down a few great places so far.

Back