Recipes on a Web Site????

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmptyNest

Reaction score
A question for all of you....
We are in process of doing a new web site for our state association. We have seen about a half dozen out there now..all done by the same company...which we are also using. that have a section for recipes. Inns submit the recipes.
I don't know if there is an approval process or if anyone assures the accuracy or what. And I asume if there are questions about the recipe, viewers just click on the inn's link.
But my question is, do you think it is a benefit to have a recipe section on a state association web site???
I say No because there are millions of recipes on line already. I am interested in what you all think.
Here is a link to a state that has them now.
Thanks!

Only if there are pics like Inncuisine features. Same to me buying a cookbook, no pics and I lose interest.
The main thing I would bet is beneficial - innkeepers themselves can post a link to that from their website and blog or guests looking for their special recipe. So it can't hurt, some might really love it.

I think there is searchable value to having the recipes. Why else would all the B&B directories have those pages? There should be a disclaimer to contact the inn that sent in the recipe with any questions.

I think there is searchable value to having the recipes. Why else would all the B&B directories have those pages? There should be a disclaimer to contact the inn that sent in the recipe with any questions..
Bree said:
I think there is searchable value to having the recipes. Why else would all the B&B directories have those pages? There should be a disclaimer to contact the inn that sent in the recipe with any questions.
Youc an send out an email BLAST with the recipe of the month or something (if people subscribe to it). I think that is useful and fun. Many LOVE B&B recipes.

bree, that is exactly what i was thinking.
way back in time, i was searching for a recipe online and that was how i first found bbonline.
but recipes pass from hand to hand ... person to person .. who knows where they originate? hopefully there would be no issue with 'THAT'S MY RECIPE!'
still, so many people get the same idea at the same time. back when i had pennies and was hosting one of those crystal parties, the dealer said i had to provide snacks. so i made up meatballs and mixed together ketchup, grape jelly and a little chili powder. sweet and sour meatballs. someone asked for the recipe and i was embarrassed to say what was in it, i was afraid she'd think i was nuts or that she didn't like it after all. and, what do you think, a couple years later i opened one of those fundraiser cookbooks and saw the same ingredients for a 'swedish meatball' dish.
wink_smile.gif
so it wasn't crazy. it was my own idea at the time, but who would have believed it?

way back in time, i was searching for a recipe online and that was how i first found bbonline.
but recipes pass from hand to hand ... person to person .. who knows where they originate? hopefully there would be no issue with 'THAT'S MY RECIPE!'
still, so many people get the same idea at the same time. back when i had pennies and was hosting one of those crystal parties, the dealer said i had to provide snacks. so i made up meatballs and mixed together ketchup, grape jelly and a little chili powder. sweet and sour meatballs. someone asked for the recipe and i was embarrassed to say what was in it, i was afraid she'd think i was nuts or that she didn't like it after all. and, what do you think, a couple years later i opened one of those fundraiser cookbooks and saw the same ingredients for a 'swedish meatball' dish.
wink_smile.gif
so it wasn't crazy. it was my own idea at the time, but who would have believed it?.
seashanty said:
wink_smile.gif
so it wasn't crazy. it was my own idea at the time, but who would have believed it?
OMG!!! You're the one who started that whole craze! Now we know!!!!
chef.gif

=)
Kk.

wink_smile.gif
so it wasn't crazy. it was my own idea at the time, but who would have believed it?.
seashanty said:
wink_smile.gif
Grape jelly and tomato sauce. I LOVE that meatball recipe!

That's dh's mom's 1970's meatballs and rice dinner, in high demand around here!

Aside from actual potential guest value, there is value in that the site could have a somewhat steady means for growth. Growth is good. Also if each recipe has a link to the contributing inn, then there is incentive for member inns to participate...the more they participate the better for the inn and the association.

wink_smile.gif
seashanty said:
so i made up meatballs and mixed together ketchup, grape jelly and a little chili powder. sweet and sour meatballs.
I have three batches of homemade grape jelly that didn't set up...now I know what I can do with it. We started calling it "grape jellup" (jelly/syrup) but it's hard to use a grape jelly that isn't jelly.
Thanks for the inspiration!

wink_smile.gif
seashanty said:
so i made up meatballs and mixed together ketchup, grape jelly and a little chili powder. sweet and sour meatballs.
I have three batches of homemade grape jelly that didn't set up...now I know what I can do with it. We started calling it "grape jellup" (jelly/syrup) but it's hard to use a grape jelly that isn't jelly.
Thanks for the inspiration!
I made non-setting grape jelly our first year and used it on fruit plates (instead of raspberry) to drizzle over fresh fruit or put a little decorative edge on a plate. After the first year I always made it that way rather than as grape jam because I got more use out of it as a syrup.

Back