Remodels and Updates

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisandShelley

Reaction score
My last time home, I spent a lot of time doing some remodeling and updating. We listened to some of the comments made by guests. One of their comments was that they liked the oval chair height toilets. We've replaced almost all of the toilets with these (one more to go when I get home) with good response. I've also replaced wall mounted sinks with an apron with pedestal sinks. What a difference that makes! The bathroom is a small bathroom, but the pedestal sinks make a big difference in the perspective. Putting the daylight bulbs in also made a huge difference.
I've also put down new flooring in 2 of the bathrooms and on the floor of the kitchenette. I found some flooring that just lays on top of the existing flooring and click-locks in to place. Relatively easy to lay down and looks great!
Elderberry-Bathroom-e1451750385486.jpg
Elderberry-Kitchentte-e1451750522522.jpg

We also turned one of the beds sideways and put side tables. Our guests commented that in a couple of rooms, they didn't have room on the night stand for phones and/or CPAP machines. This should help out in that regard, along with the dome-shaped multi-plug. One of our guests loved it so much, he wanted to buy it from us! Luckily, I had a couple of extra in the closet.
Elderberry-Bedroom-e1451750560564.jpg

Thanks to the advice of some folks here, we bought a double oven. Shelley says this will make a huge difference in her breakfast routine time. Now we just have to take out a set of cabinets and get the kitchen remodel done and we'll be in business for the next season.
Double-Oven-e1451750576364.jpg

Looks nice. The difference in the toilets alone is wonderful. (Many of the hotels I go to with conferences have the toilets they stole from a daycare center. I swear they did! and no pull up bars.)
Listening to guests will point in the right direction without wasting money (provided they are saying similar things).
I KNOW Shelly will love the second oven. I went from a wonderful 40 inch oven to a 30 inch (the stove died after 60 years of service) and it is a lot more difficult to make breakfast for a full-house (and I only have 3 rooms).

Nicely played - you listened to your guests' wish list and then acted!
We replaced all the wall mounted sinks as well. Lots of great comments about how there is now room on the sink for stuff.
Last one is hopefully this year. But it requires removing a wall and we don't know what's behind it.
Right now Gomez is installing the last TV. Then he's painting in that room.
Tomorrow he starts his plan to put a vent system in the utility closet so we can vent out the damp air from the basement.
We've got 6 weeks before we reopen. I'm planning our day trips so we don't spend the whole time working.

I like the look of pedestal sinks in old houses, but there's no place to put my stuff! If you put in pedestal sinks, please add lots of shelving because people need counter space to spread out their stuff. And a robe hook or two for people who have vanity kits with straps for hanging.

I like the look of pedestal sinks in old houses, but there's no place to put my stuff! If you put in pedestal sinks, please add lots of shelving because people need counter space to spread out their stuff. And a robe hook or two for people who have vanity kits with straps for hanging..
Arks said:
I like the look of pedestal sinks in old houses, but there's no place to put my stuff! If you put in pedestal sinks, please add lots of shelving because people need counter space to spread out their stuff. And a robe hook or two for people who have vanity kits with straps for hanging.
You really need a true Southern gal staying with you to understand how the bathroom needs to be twice the size it is just for her kit bag. (Heaven help us when it's 4 of them in one room for a wedding!)
We have a 3 tiered stand next to the sink, a 2 tiered shelving unit hung next to the sink, 3 or more hooks either on the door or next to the sink or shower and it's not enough. We've had the entire recessed window sill (12x16") completely covered with stuff that didn't fit on the 3 tiered stand and the 2 tiered shelf. The rest of it was on the floor.
I'm amazed. All of my stuff goes in a 'clutch' purse.
I do like to be able to sit that on the sink so I can get everything I need out of it easily. That's what we did by changing out the wall mounted sinks for pedestals. We got the old fashioned looking ones with the deep top so there's room for stuff.
I should look at one of those fold up ditty bags, they look so tidy!

I like the look of pedestal sinks in old houses, but there's no place to put my stuff! If you put in pedestal sinks, please add lots of shelving because people need counter space to spread out their stuff. And a robe hook or two for people who have vanity kits with straps for hanging..
That is a great idea and I'm kicking myself for not thinking about it. I have a hanging shaving kit bag when I travel and get aggravated when there's no place to hang it. Thanks for the idea, I'm going to look at that when I get home.
As for the shelves, we got several comments about that as well. Shelley is putting in some over-the-toilet racks and some extra shelves as well. I didn't pan up enough in the bathroom picture, but there is a shelf just to the right of the mirror above the sink.

We replaced all the wall mounted sinks as well. Lots of great comments about how there is now room on the sink for stuff.
Last one is hopefully this year. But it requires removing a wall and we don't know what's behind it.
Tomorrow he starts his plan to put a vent system in the utility closet so we can vent out the damp air from the basement.
We've got 6 weeks before we reopen. I'm planning our day trips so we don't spend the whole time working..
Morticia said:
We've got 6 weeks before we reopen. I'm planning our day trips so we don't spend the whole time working.
Removing a wall? Yikes. I'd be nervous.
We are staying open, but only renting out the two downstairs room. We'll see how January goes and think about closing down altogether next January.

Looks nice. The difference in the toilets alone is wonderful. (Many of the hotels I go to with conferences have the toilets they stole from a daycare center. I swear they did! and no pull up bars.)
Listening to guests will point in the right direction without wasting money (provided they are saying similar things).
I KNOW Shelly will love the second oven. I went from a wonderful 40 inch oven to a 30 inch (the stove died after 60 years of service) and it is a lot more difficult to make breakfast for a full-house (and I only have 3 rooms)..
Shelley really struggled for a while when we first took over. I did get a counter top convection oven from my dad and that helped, but it still couldn't fit everything that Shelley had to cook, especially on those full house weekends.
If I can just get her to start the coffee, then I can just sleep late and get up in time to help serve breakfast. I bet that won't happen.

That is a great idea and I'm kicking myself for not thinking about it. I have a hanging shaving kit bag when I travel and get aggravated when there's no place to hang it. Thanks for the idea, I'm going to look at that when I get home.
As for the shelves, we got several comments about that as well. Shelley is putting in some over-the-toilet racks and some extra shelves as well. I didn't pan up enough in the bathroom picture, but there is a shelf just to the right of the mirror above the sink.
I bought a bunch of cute-odd hooks (shapes like mermaids and shells, etc) that Gomez attached to blocks of wood he ran thru the saw, then painted. He hung those in the bathroom for robes, kit bags, whatever.
You can find them in salvage stores. Usually with old paint or patina. They make an interesting feature in the bathroom.
I've got a couple of wooden fish with old coat hooks on them, some cast iron lobsters with their tails curled up and some old outdoor faucets mounted on back plates with hooks.
I've found beach scenes painted on wood that we've added hooks to.
Lots of fun hangers.

We've got 6 weeks before we reopen. I'm planning our day trips so we don't spend the whole time working..
Enjoy your time off!

Enjoy your time off!
Momma Smurf said:
Enjoy your time off!
There's a little gift shop I want to go to down your way. I'll give you a holler!

I bought a bunch of cute-odd hooks (shapes like mermaids and shells, etc) that Gomez attached to blocks of wood he ran thru the saw, then painted. He hung those in the bathroom for robes, kit bags, whatever.
You can find them in salvage stores. Usually with old paint or patina. They make an interesting feature in the bathroom.
I've got a couple of wooden fish with old coat hooks on them, some cast iron lobsters with their tails curled up and some old outdoor faucets mounted on back plates with hooks.
I've found beach scenes painted on wood that we've added hooks to.
Lots of fun hangers.
Etsy, Amazon and Ebay are excellent sources for that kind of thing
Just put in bathroom hooks into and you get an amazing range - love the ones on etsy that say bath 25C lol

Enjoy your time off!
Momma Smurf said:
Enjoy your time off!
There's a little gift shop I want to go to down your way. I'll give you a holler!
Okey, dokey!

Agreed wit hone word of caution. We stayed at several places in NZ recently that had a shelf over the sink. The little glass shelf in particular. For me, since I am tall, this is the worst. Hitting your head while you are trying to wash your face does not start of the day with a smile.

Agreed wit hone word of caution. We stayed at several places in NZ recently that had a shelf over the sink. The little glass shelf in particular. For me, since I am tall, this is the worst. Hitting your head while you are trying to wash your face does not start of the day with a smile.
happykeeper said:
...had a shelf over the sink. The little glass shelf in particular.
Yes I've seen those too, and I knocked one off in the middle of the night one time in a small Italian hotel. Woke the whole inn up! Fortunately, the glass didn't break.

I remember those little glass shelves! Every apartment i lived in in NY had them.
Ours are off to the side for exactly the reason you mention. Far enough over for even the broad shouldered among us.
I don't like them over or even near the toilet, tho, too easy to knock something off. Splash!

I remember those little glass shelves! Every apartment i lived in in NY had them.
Ours are off to the side for exactly the reason you mention. Far enough over for even the broad shouldered among us.
I don't like them over or even near the toilet, tho, too easy to knock something off. Splash!
That's another one we ran into. One of those shelf units that sits over the toilet so that you actually can't lean back. Talk about not being able to relax. Seems like folks just throw stuff in there and never test it out themselves.

I KNOW Shelly will love the second oven. I went from a wonderful 40 inch oven to a 30 inch (the stove died after 60 years of service) and it is a lot more difficult to make breakfast for a full-house (and I only have 3 rooms)..
Shelley really struggled for a while when we first took over. I did get a counter top convection oven from my dad and that helped, but it still couldn't fit everything that Shelley had to cook, especially on those full house weekends.
If I can just get her to start the coffee, then I can just sleep late and get up in time to help serve breakfast. I bet that won't happen.
Can't remember how we lived with only one oven. We have the double oven range like you do. Takes up no more space but does way more work. Love it.

Awesome! If you're closed for renovations or even for a day or two, I recommend going into each room as though you are a guest. Bring what you bring when you travel and see how it all works (or doesn't).
With flooring that clicks in place over other flooring, did you have to use a floor leveling product? I assume your existing floors were not worn way down in spots like a floor I'm looking at. What is the flooring called? Thanks

I liked the double oven, that doesn't take much space (widely) and it advanced the look of surrounding areas in the kitchen as well.

Latest posts

Back