Report on Purple Roofs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you think we really need to place a listing in a directory that is specifically for gays & lesbians? Because we can't legally discriminate, I would think they would be able to book in any B&B they wanted.
The only difference I can see is that they know up front that the owner may be more comfortable with their lifestyle choice than say an innkeeper that had not stated otherwise..
Proud Texan said:
The only difference I can see is that they know up front that the owner may be more comfortable with their lifestyle choice than say an innkeeper that had not stated otherwise.
That is what my gay friends have told me - they generally don't consider going to B&Bs, because they are concerned about feeling out-of-place. They tell me frankly that even if the owners are gay-friendly they are concerned about how other guests may react to them. A listing on purple roofs might at least allow a potential guest to see that you have declared yourself gay-friendly.
We are near major metropolitan areas with large gay communities and our small town is considered to be pretty welcoming to an alternate lifestyle - we have several gay/lesbian-owned businesses in town. I have a free listing on purple roofs but we don't do any specific marketing to the gay community.
muirford said:
Proud Texan said:
The only difference I can see is that they know up front that the owner may be more comfortable with their lifestyle choice than say an innkeeper that had not stated otherwise.
That is what my gay friends have told me - they generally don't consider going to B&Bs, because they are concerned about feeling out-of-place. They tell me frankly that even if the owners are gay-friendly they are concerned about how other guests may react to them. A listing on purple roofs might at least allow a potential guest to see that you have declared yourself gay-friendly.
We are near major metropolitan areas with large gay communities and our small town is considered to be pretty welcoming to an alternate lifestyle - we have several gay/lesbian-owned businesses in town. I have a free listing on purple roofs but we don't do any specific marketing to the gay community.
Our little East Texas town is right in the middle of the Bible Belt. We have 22 Baptist churches in our town (and they say that the Baptist don't get along). If you say "gay" here, you better mean "happy".
I personally think it sucks is uncool. My wife and I relocated here after retirement from a larger metropolitan area and have always been tolerant to alternative lifestyles. I'm a little intolerant of intolerant people.
smiley-whacky011.gif

I suppose we could list as "gay friendly" then leave it up to the gay population as to whether or not they want to visit a bigoted area . Did I mention that this is also a big Klan area?

Do you think we really need to place a listing in a directory that is specifically for gays & lesbians? Because we can't legally discriminate, I would think they would be able to book in any B&B they wanted.
The only difference I can see is that they know up front that the owner may be more comfortable with their lifestyle choice than say an innkeeper that had not stated otherwise..
I placed the listing as a niche marketing tool. More to say, you are welcome here. I do not care who does what behind their closed door. The roofs may be purple but the money is green. I also live in an area that has 3 universities and several more colleges within 60 miles of me. No one cares. There used to be a gay bar in Clarksburg (10 miles south) but it was in one of the buildings torn down to build a new parking lot.

Back