Road noise

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dms121761

Reaction score
I will admit, I know not to much about autism. ..I did a little research and read most are sensitive to noise...we got a good review recently but she added a negative comment about her granddaughter complained of the street noise and this is the quietest room we have...do we just focus on the positive?...obviously we would never mention why the noise was an issue....comments ?

Looks like this got on here twice. Perhaps change the title of this post to "Double Post" or something, and delete the topic content, replacing it also with Double Post.
Or contact Swirt to remove this duplicate.

In 2004 we hosted a couple who were doing our Inn-to-Inn Motorcycle Package for Greg's Garage on Speed Channel (yes, I managed to get this on my own). They were coming with 2 children, Nanny, and we also had a cameraman & producer. We were told in advance that one of the boys was autistic.
I look up and an RV comes down the street that looked like it was a block long. Mama comes over after they park and tells me the youngest is autistic and sometimes has "issues" and does not leave the RV the entire weekend (Hubs was at that time a famous racer) and she does not want me to be upset if he does not come in to stay. I told her it was fine, no worry. So she comes back with the boys and I hear this tiny voice say, "I like this house."
They were able to ID it early and work with him almost from birth. We saw them at a race a few years later and I was told the boy was mainstream at school - on level scholastically but a bit behind socially as was to be expected.
There are degrees of autism. There is a boy at our church who is very autistic. He communicates with a few sounds (perhaps words) but mainly through his iPad with voice. His twin brother is "normal". Noise is amplified with him - normal sound is very loud to him.
We can only do what we can do. In this instance, it was unfair to cite noise as an issue, but it is one you just have to ignore and take it on the chin due to the circumstances. Just respond to the good parts and give your commercial as response.

In 2004 we hosted a couple who were doing our Inn-to-Inn Motorcycle Package for Greg's Garage on Speed Channel (yes, I managed to get this on my own). They were coming with 2 children, Nanny, and we also had a cameraman & producer. We were told in advance that one of the boys was autistic.
I look up and an RV comes down the street that looked like it was a block long. Mama comes over after they park and tells me the youngest is autistic and sometimes has "issues" and does not leave the RV the entire weekend (Hubs was at that time a famous racer) and she does not want me to be upset if he does not come in to stay. I told her it was fine, no worry. So she comes back with the boys and I hear this tiny voice say, "I like this house."
They were able to ID it early and work with him almost from birth. We saw them at a race a few years later and I was told the boy was mainstream at school - on level scholastically but a bit behind socially as was to be expected.
There are degrees of autism. There is a boy at our church who is very autistic. He communicates with a few sounds (perhaps words) but mainly through his iPad with voice. His twin brother is "normal". Noise is amplified with him - normal sound is very loud to him.
We can only do what we can do. In this instance, it was unfair to cite noise as an issue, but it is one you just have to ignore and take it on the chin due to the circumstances. Just respond to the good parts and give your commercial as response..
Thank you Gill

can you make it positive? Like, "I remember we did have a lot of traffic the nights you were here because of the midsummer festival. The town was in a festive mood!"
OR "we do get car traffic, but that is because we are close to downtown where the action is!"

Every sound is different at every inn and different times of the year, last night we had the cicadas literally screaming here and our guests sat on the porch and recorded it, they played ti at breakfast and you would have thought it was taken in the jungles of Vietnam!
I love our trains, love love love them. Some people think they are annoying. Give me a train whistle any day of the week (and they are not right next door). When the leaves are down you can hear them better, from further off, love them when they are heavy and you hear them on the tracks better.
One guest wrote us a disparaging note because of a life flight helicopter she heard in the night, she found it very offensive. What? I have no idea what in the world she is talking about, if someone needed a life flight helo their life was prob in jeopardy!
Let them eat cake!
Don't sweat the small stuff, you can't correct anyone's perception. Just pour out hospitality.

Every sound is different at every inn and different times of the year, last night we had the cicadas literally screaming here and our guests sat on the porch and recorded it, they played ti at breakfast and you would have thought it was taken in the jungles of Vietnam!
I love our trains, love love love them. Some people think they are annoying. Give me a train whistle any day of the week (and they are not right next door). When the leaves are down you can hear them better, from further off, love them when they are heavy and you hear them on the tracks better.
One guest wrote us a disparaging note because of a life flight helicopter she heard in the night, she found it very offensive. What? I have no idea what in the world she is talking about, if someone needed a life flight helo their life was prob in jeopardy!
Let them eat cake!
Don't sweat the small stuff, you can't correct anyone's perception. Just pour out hospitality..
Temp Innsanity said:
Let them eat cake!
Don't sweat the small stuff, you can't correct anyone's perception. Just pour out hospitality.
We once had a complaint about the fog horn. To me, the most romantic and calming sound anywhere. Whatever!

Let them eat cake!
Don't sweat the small stuff, you can't correct anyone's perception. Just pour out hospitality..
Temp Innsanity said:
Let them eat cake!
We once had a complaint about the fog horn. To me, the most romantic and calming sound anywhere. Whatever!
TheBeachHouse said:
Temp Innsanity said:
Let them eat cake!
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

Some things are what they are...and when it is a comment about an external force on an internal reality...there isn't a lot you can do to butter over it...so unless it is a comment you have received from other reviewers... it might be best to let it go and focus on the good stuff.

Let them eat cake!
Temp Innsanity said:
I hope that guest or a family member never need to be airlifted.... Well, maybe I should hope they do. They might appreciate the sound better in the future after they are given a second chance at life!

Latest posts

Back