Ruined linens

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somewhere in Paradise

Reaction score
I have been lurking for awhile on this website and want to thank everyone for all the great tips so far!
This is a problem I have been encountering more and more -
It seems like every check-out I have comes with a set of ruined sheets. It is usually in the form of 2 large yellow spots about the size of a body - most likely from sunscreen. and also some type of blood stain. In fact the last guest that was here it looked like they blew thier nose on the sheets and pillowcase. I cannot get the stains out!
My question is do you folks charge for damaged linens?
I really would appreciate some advice on this as I am at my wits end with this.
One of my friends suggested sheets with a dark pattern on them. I think thats tacky but I am almost ready to go there.
Thank you!!

Well if the sheets are really expensive you might have to charge them for it. Have you tried using Zout? That seems to work best for me and to wash the sheet is very hot water. I also use the Clorox bleach pen to bleach out small spots. I am still on the same sets of sheets from two years ago. I have to be real careful and insepct the sheets for stains and treat them. If the stains don't come out then I keep washing them until they are out. I had rose petal stains that were very bad and I washed those sheets for three weeks everyday until all the stains were out. The worst thing you can do is miss a stain and then put it in the dryer. Once it is dryed it is pretty much permanent.

i am guessing you are in a place of beaches and sunshine ? so the sunscreen issue is going to be a continuous problem. is this a stain that doesn't show up until you've laundered and then go to put the sheets back on the bed? i have not charged for ruined linens, but i have been tempted.
oxyclean has helped with sunscreen here. but not huge areas.
for small areas - blood and bronzer and wine - wine away spritzed all over the stain works amazingly well.
for large areas - like big brown splotches of body bronzer on towels - for me, they are now cleaning rags.

Spray on tan is a biggee we have with many wedding nights here. I won't have white sheets or light colors in the rooms they typically pic. I write it off as cost of doing business.

HI Crystal B,
welcome.gif

For us, if someone rips or goes out of their way to damage sheets (rare), we charge them for it. But for regular wear and tear including bodilly fluids, it is the cost of doing business. If you are in an area with lots of sunscreen use then you may have to set your rates such that something like $5 from every reservation goes into the "new sheets" fund.
The full body stains almost sound like sweat. Be sure to rule out climate reasons why people might be sweating so much (no pervy snickers LOL). Rooms too hot, vinyl bed protectors, etc might be to blame.
Identifying the cause of the stain is more than half the battle. If you do narrow it down to be sunscreen, there are some tips here, here and here that might help. Sorry I can't say from experience what works...because we're all pretty vitaminD deprived here in Upstate NY ;)

I would never charge for something that wasn't deliberate and that would have to be someone actually pouring something deliberately or cutting???

i can relate to the bedding isues...i think everyone can...i have a guestroom that has white "tie up" ruffly type curtains in the windows. one day we went in after checkouts & wiped all over i curtain was blood. none on towels, none on bedding, none on the other curtains, etc. i was fuming! i more or less had to assume that maybe he cut himself shaving? & when he realized it , the curtain was th closest thing to use? i don't know. Regardless of the reason, that was just ignorant, considering we provide ample towels, tissues, TP, makeup cloths, etc in guestrooms.

i can relate to the bedding isues...i think everyone can...i have a guestroom that has white "tie up" ruffly type curtains in the windows. one day we went in after checkouts & wiped all over i curtain was blood. none on towels, none on bedding, none on the other curtains, etc. i was fuming! i more or less had to assume that maybe he cut himself shaving? & when he realized it , the curtain was th closest thing to use? i don't know. Regardless of the reason, that was just ignorant, considering we provide ample towels, tissues, TP, makeup cloths, etc in guestrooms..
Bloody nose...it was a gusher!
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

i can relate to the bedding isues...i think everyone can...i have a guestroom that has white "tie up" ruffly type curtains in the windows. one day we went in after checkouts & wiped all over i curtain was blood. none on towels, none on bedding, none on the other curtains, etc. i was fuming! i more or less had to assume that maybe he cut himself shaving? & when he realized it , the curtain was th closest thing to use? i don't know. Regardless of the reason, that was just ignorant, considering we provide ample towels, tissues, TP, makeup cloths, etc in guestrooms..

When my mother's BP went thru the roof the first indicator she had was a bloody nose at a hotel. Severe. Remember her little travel journal? Notation to never go back to this hotel, even tho she likes it, because she's too embarassed.

I had two bloody nose guests this week... i swear, I didn't hit 'em!
poke.gif
Must be the weather change...

Back