Rural B*&Bs - how keeping guests out of neighbors' land?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
all over the place in rural areas i see one post, one or two wire, strung between the next post as fences. nothing fancy, nothing you couldn't easily get through. in addition to plantings and trees, you need to mark the area.
in massachusetts - gorgeous old farmland - much of the land has been broken up and sold for house lots - i know there are buried cars and all kinds of toxic things that people hid in the woods behind their properties with no regard for what they were doing. up in maine my sister owns acres and acres in the middle of nowhere. there are two old trucks half in the ground from the 40's and random remnants of structures that no one seems to know about.

SIGH~~~~
We have been here for 20 yrs (as of this summer). The land behind us is just that, land - well thick forest. After a major storm hit this area a few years back, many trees were downed. Guests comment still today even with the heavy foliage about how we need to work on it so it would be safe to take a hike. We then explain it is not ours.
Over these past years the owner passed away and it was divided at his death. The child that got the part behind our property lives in another state but the child that lives here put up a fence because they believed our guests were trespassing. No, that would be the teens living on another property line that has no fence. But I don't care, it keeps our guests from asking now. And the 'no trespassing' signs has become the topic of conversation.
cry_smile.gif

We are in a rural location next to a nut farm. It too has an allure that we like. I guess it would depend on the neighbor and that is where we began. Approach the neighbor BEFORE you buy and get to know them. Find out how they feel about it. What ended up happening for us was that we would tell people what kind of trees were next door and then, if they were interested, we would offer to take them over to have a look when they have some time. I know that is a little different since you aren't going to be walking folks down to the river all the time, but the point is to work with your neighbor early on and see where it goes..
Behind the house is forest down to the stream, and to the side of this corner property is forest. No signs of ownership, buildings or development.
So someone owns it (maybe even be govt owned). My buyer's broker is in process of digging up tax maps, that might illuminate. But again, I want to be proactive and dissuade trespassing, even if I can never really find or talk to owners...
Just looked at it the first down last week, and again tonight.
I can certainly understand the concern about trespassing, but from a business point of view, if it were us, we would want to know if that had any potential as an unexpected amenity of sorts. While your business has to be respectful and follow the rules, shutting it off from natural features that may be a marketable value that sets you apart from others without making the extra effort to locate and talk with the owner seems contrary to all of the careful planning you are doing to get ready.
Some added context- We just had dinner with some good friends last night and they made a comment about how we had worked so hard to create a destination in a rural setting that had little tourism previously. We were reminded that each and every advantage or unique feature is important to the overall long term development of our business.
thumbs_up.gif

SIGH~~~~
We have been here for 20 yrs (as of this summer). The land behind us is just that, land - well thick forest. After a major storm hit this area a few years back, many trees were downed. Guests comment still today even with the heavy foliage about how we need to work on it so it would be safe to take a hike. We then explain it is not ours.
Over these past years the owner passed away and it was divided at his death. The child that got the part behind our property lives in another state but the child that lives here put up a fence because they believed our guests were trespassing. No, that would be the teens living on another property line that has no fence. But I don't care, it keeps our guests from asking now. And the 'no trespassing' signs has become the topic of conversation.
cry_smile.gif
Copperhead said:
SIGH~~~~
cry_smile.gif
Yuck. I grew up in a suburb where kids would walk through the neighbors' yards. No one thought it unusual. So, in the absence of abuse or keeping the horses in, I don't like fences. And I especially don't like 'keep out' signs.
A B&B two doors down from us sold to a single family home. They own a piece of land on a cliff overlooking the bay. It used to be furnished with a couple benches. It is now surrounded by three "no trespassing" signs.
I am offended each time I see them. It's a nice little overlook for walkers to stop and watch the boats, but no longer. Not like people were camping there. Just looking.

SIGH~~~~
cry_smile.gif
Copperhead said:
SIGH~~~~
cry_smile.gif
Yuck. I grew up in a suburb where kids would walk through the neighbors' yards. No one thought it unusual. So, in the absence of abuse or keeping the horses in, I don't like fences. And I especially don't like 'keep out' signs.
A B&B two doors down from us sold to a single family home. They own a piece of land on a cliff overlooking the bay. It used to be furnished with a couple benches. It is now surrounded by three "no trespassing" signs.
I am offended each time I see them. It's a nice little overlook for walkers to stop and watch the boats, but no longer. Not like people were camping there. Just looking.
My house was on a dead end street. You could stand at the head of the street and look thru the yards all the way to the end. There was one section with barbed wire to keep the cows in, otherwise nothing to block the view.
Until the new people put up a stockade fence. Bam! Keep out! They fenced the entire yard.
At least you could enjoy my rose barrier even if you couldn't walk thru it.

We are in a rural location next to a nut farm. It too has an allure that we like. I guess it would depend on the neighbor and that is where we began. Approach the neighbor BEFORE you buy and get to know them. Find out how they feel about it. What ended up happening for us was that we would tell people what kind of trees were next door and then, if they were interested, we would offer to take them over to have a look when they have some time. I know that is a little different since you aren't going to be walking folks down to the river all the time, but the point is to work with your neighbor early on and see where it goes..
Behind the house is forest down to the stream, and to the side of this corner property is forest. No signs of ownership, buildings or development.
So someone owns it (maybe even be govt owned). My buyer's broker is in process of digging up tax maps, that might illuminate. But again, I want to be proactive and dissuade trespassing, even if I can never really find or talk to owners...
Just looked at it the first down last week, and again tonight.
I can certainly understand the concern about trespassing, but from a business point of view, if it were us, we would want to know if that had any potential as an unexpected amenity of sorts. While your business has to be respectful and follow the rules, shutting it off from natural features that may be a marketable value that sets you apart from others without making the extra effort to locate and talk with the owner seems contrary to all of the careful planning you are doing to get ready.
Some added context- We just had dinner with some good friends last night and they made a comment about how we had worked so hard to create a destination in a rural setting that had little tourism previously. We were reminded that each and every advantage or unique feature is important to the overall long term development of our business.
thumbs_up.gif
Amen.

SIGH~~~~
cry_smile.gif
Copperhead said:
SIGH~~~~
cry_smile.gif
removed personal content

We have the other side of your problem. The neighbors wander...

I've stayed at many rural B&Bs/inns here and abroad - some kind of fence or wall is the best bet as it clearly defines property boundaries. Native rock walls, split rail fences (or a combo of both), natural wood fencing (doesn't have to be suburban privacy fence height). People will get the idea.

We have the other side of your problem. The neighbors wander....
Our property is open to the public and we have people coming in all the time. Of course, a portion of the property is in a conservation easement with the local land trust, and part of that agreement is that it has to be open to the public. We also operate another business located on the property (boat rentals) that brings people in (hopefully some of whom might become cottage guests).
But then there are the people who see our sign on the road and just drive in to see what is here. The ones that bug me the most are the ones who drive in and drive out without stopping to let us ask if we can help them, answer any questions, or give them a brochure (lots of others will stop and roll down their windows to talk with us when we approach their vehicles).

Our property is open to the public and we have people coming in all the time. Of course, a portion of the property is in a conservation easement with the local land trust, and part of that agreement is that it has to be open to the public. We also operate another business located on the property (boat rentals) that brings people in (hopefully some of whom might become cottage guests).
But then there are the people who see our sign on the road and just drive in to see what is here. The ones that bug me the most are the ones who drive in and drive out without stopping to let us ask if we can help them, answer any questions, or give them a brochure (lots of others will stop and roll down their windows to talk with us when we approach their vehicles).
I got out of the car! Wandered around. Looked for you. Took some pix. (Not recently.)

I got out of the car! Wandered around. Looked for you. Took some pix. (Not recently.)
Yes, we are so sorry to have missed you!

Back