Say What?!?!?!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BananaE29

Reaction score
I was checking out the local hotels' prices and came across this "special"....

Stay More, Save More package
Save up to 30%

Reserve our Stay More, Save More package and save up to 30% off your entire stay when you stay 3 nights (10% off per night). Use promo code STAY to book.

I've written this down twice, because I can't help but think I am the one confused here. If your rooms are $100/night, and you offer 10% off, that makes the room $90/night. Three nights at $90 is $270. If you offered 30% off a three night stay, the cost of the stay would be $210 (30% of $300 is $90).

Ummmmm...huh? Am I having a particularly confusing day, or does this make absolutely no sense? 10% off per night is not 30% off a three night stay. This is on the website of the #1 resort here. I am just dumbfounded.....

Their math is fuzzy, not yours. I hope someone calls them on it.

You are correct. 10% off every night is 10% off the total stay. Somebody at that place didn't pass algebra!
confused_smile.gif

You are correct. 10% off every night is 10% off the total stay. Somebody at that place didn't pass algebra!
confused_smile.gif
Or they're trying to get one over on someone not paying attention. I think that's probably more likely!

So stay 10 nights. By their math, that would be 100% off, except you've paid them $900!

Creative math I guess, but then I'm not a salesman and I don't play the discount game, perhaps just too lazy as a buyer or seller to jump through the hoops of the game, but yes everyone seems to think they are special and should get a discount so maybe that kind of foolishness is a good as any.
It is common for a caller to say "oh, you have the best price in town" and then ask about discounts for "xyz", nope, hardheaded I guess, I just have a price, everybody gets the best price up front.

Well, it's UP TO 30%, but never really more than 10%.
Reminds me of the stupidity of the general population when it comes to math. At one time the American A&W offered a Third-Pounder at the same price as the Quarter-Pounder at McDonald's. People snubbed it and went for the Quarter-Pounder. People thought that it was smaller because well.... 3 is smaller than 4. See http://mentalfloss.com/article/76144/why-no-one-wanted-aws-third-pound-burger

For our largest cottages, we offer 10% off of your second contiguous week. Sounds good, right? Of course it works out to only 5% off of the total for the two weeks....

I sure wouldn't want to be the front desk clerk there having to point out the "up to" - which you can never really get and the (10% off each night) which was most likely added after many snarly remarks.

If they stayed ten nights it would be absolutely free.
shades_smile.gif

Yep 10% one night doesn't equal 30% for three nights, nice math tho.

Back